Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Maybe he turns into another Jared " Freshwater" Spurgeon and has a good career.
Speaking of the Wild, there's never a wrong place to mention Thomas Vanish. 6 games 2 assists , 0 goals, -2.
Way to help the team beat St. Louis.!!!

Thomas vanish? pretty embarassing stuff.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Agree 100%. He would be a welcome addition because of his size and snarl. I don't want him fighting as much as he did in the AHL, I just want him to play smart defensive hockey. I remember him play the last 5 games or so for the Islanders in 13-14, and he only made one major blunder the whole time. Was very solid the rest of the way. Also, hate to say it, he may pave the way to using Reinhart as trade bait. Reinhart could be used as traid bait for a scoring winger for Tavares.

I don't necessarily want guys who always fight - I want guys who have the ability to fight if it arises. Mayfield hopefully can develop that side of his game. TBH, I wouldn't have minded if Boychuk dropped the gloves once or twice this season - more of a deterrent factor than anything. Hamonic is not a fighter but every so often he'll do what needs to be done.

If we have that presence across the board, we won't have the need to have an Eric Boulton taking up a roster spot. The team will be able to police itself organically. Anders Lee going with Tom Wilson twice is a perfect example of that. I don't want Anders Lee looking to fight at all regularly, but I also don't want the team to have to wait until Matt Martin comes on the ice to stick up for itself.

Mayfield - if he learns a thing or two about fighting - would personify that type of player perfectly.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don't necessarily want guys who always fight - I want guys who have the ability to fight if it arises. Mayfield hopefully can develop that side of his game. TBH, I wouldn't have minded if Boychuk dropped the gloves once or twice this season - more of a deterrent factor than anything. Hamonic is not a fighter but every so often he'll do what needs to be done.

I agree with your entire post, but didn't want to take up too much space on the thread. Mayfield will NEED to develop that side of his game. No doubt he has the heart, but his hands need alot of work. Seems like a nice enough guy off the ice who can flip the mean switch when he needs too. He's also listed at 6'4, 209. Which seems a little lanky. He could probably beef up to be in the 220-225 range.

Small sample size, but he definitely proved he had the strength to compete at NHL level already, games 6 & 7 he pinned a few guys in the corner in what were good defensive plays and just ask Chimera what happens when you rub him the wrong way.:nod:

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I liked what Mayfield brought in the playoffs; he laid some boychuk esq hits out there, and to have success in the playoffs you need a few mean D-men with a chip on their shoulder. I think we take the series if Hammer was in the lineup; boychuk just couldn't handle it alone.

Thats something I'd like to see reinhart do more often, because he looked like a scared puppy dog out there. He needs to be much more physical if he's going to be a shutdown guy. He looked like a deer in headlights in game 5.

Mayfield looks like he'll be serviceable next season, and reinhart has some work ahead of him if he wants a spot next year.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Staple thinks it will be Pulock next year, not Mayfield.

Interesting, but Art has been wrong before. Mayfield did everything he could to win a strong shot next training camp. The only think Pulock has going for him as if we lose Vis, we will need someone with more offense to their game.

Btw, are you tired of people saying RP should be in because of his booming slapshot? What about the other 99% of his game?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Interesting, but Art has been wrong before. Mayfield did everything he could to win a strong shot next training camp. The only think Pulock has going for him as if we lose Vis, we will need someone with more offense to their game.

Btw, are you tired of people saying RP should be in because of his booming slapshot? What about the other 99% of his game?

Oh yeah his booming wrist shot too!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Time to Bump him up

He played a terrific game last night, very aggressive on offense . . . actually went end to end one time.

2 assists and looked very confident with the puck. Did not overextend looking to lay a big hit when it wasn't there.

If he has suddenly developed and plays like this, regardless of the points he puts up, he stays. Certainly Mayfield won't pass through waivers again if he plays like this! We got lucky there.

Hamonic looks completely unsure of himself right now. I don't agree he looks disengaged, I think he has confidence issues right now. Mayfield playing like last night could easily slot in to his spot. Of course, need to see consistency first.

BTW - Chiimera on that 2nd goal against was brutal.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
Time to Bump him up

He played a terrific game last night, very aggressive on offense . . . actually went end to end one time.

2 assists and looked very confident with the puck. Did not overextend looking to lay a big hit when it wasn't there.

If he has suddenly developed and plays like this, regardless of the points he puts up, he stays. Certainly Mayfield won't pass through waivers again if he plays like this! We got lucky there.

Hamonic looks completely unsure of himself right now. I don't agree he looks disengaged, I think he has confidence issues right now. Mayfield playing like last night could easily slot in to his spot. Of course, need to see consistency first.

I think Hammer's hand injury has a lot to do with this. I caught him shaking it out a few times, it was targeted directly on one play along the boards with a slash.

Mayfield did have a heck of a game last night for sure. We have an interesting problem on defense moving forward.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Completely disagree. Mayfield looked fine carrying the puck and in the offensive zone but he was caught running around a lot and make it tough for his partner. He had several chicken with his head cut off moments. Not going to elevate the guys play because he notched to assists....he was pretty average to below average in the defensive zone and not nearly as steady as Pelech.

Don't know what game you guys watched, I focused on him and he was not very good imo.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I think Hammer's hand injury has a lot to do with this. I caught him shaking it out a few times, it was targeted directly on one play along the boards with a slash.

Mayfield did have a heck of a game last night for sure. We have an interesting problem on defense moving forward.

Hammer came back early from that injury, bc that's the type of dude he is. I love him for it, but to make it worse, he seemingly takes pucks/sticks off it every single game. I just hope it doesn't get to a point that he messes something up structurally.

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
Agreed, he along with a lot of our defense were running around chasing the puck, more so in the third period.
This has been a consistent problem over the last few years, you would think the coaching staff would address this every practice.
He definitely looked better than the last few times we have seen him tho.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Completely disagree. Mayfield looked fine carrying the puck and in the offensive zone but he was caught running around a lot and make it tough for his partner. He had several chicken with his head cut off moments. Not going to elevate the guys play because he notched to assists....he was pretty average to below average in the defensive zone and not nearly as steady as Pelech.

Don't know what game you guys watched, I focused on him and he was not very good imo.

Agreed. He "created" offense by just slapping the puck toward the net over and over again. That won't work consistently.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

Based on the games I've seen, this is pretty much the Isles' game plan.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Snow was lucky Mayfield wasn't claimed off waivers.

Another big mistake from Snow.
I said the same thing when nobody claimed him, as he's one of the only big body d-men we have and you can never have enough depth on the back end. He's not perfect, but how many players in this league are, as its as watered down as you will get with so many teams, but he can fill a hole when needed.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

Bang on. The bolded is pretty much the worst thing you can say about a defenseman.

Hopefully Pelech will be back soon.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

This x100 - we were also quick to jump on the Mayfield bandwagon after a small sample size in the Capitals series. He is an extremely limited player despite the 2 assists last night.

Also, to call putting him through waivers a "mistake" is laughable. Come on guys. If it was a mistake, then he wouldn't be NYI property.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Time to Bump him up

Wasn't Mayfield recalled on an emergency basis due to another player's injury? If so, I think he is exempt from waivers...meaning he won't have to pass through to get sent down. Check out this website:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

Waiver Exemptions

There are four ways in which a player can be exempt from waivers; they have been recently exposed to waivers, they are on emergency recall, they are on a conditioning assignment, or they have not met the experience requirement.

FROM THE NYI site --- November 14: Dennis Seidenberg was placed on IR with an upper-body injury (out indefinitely). Scott Mayfield was recalled on emergency basis.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

This is a good problem to have.

If we want to protect Mayfield from waivers we can send Pelech down for the balance, he is exempt this year. He has earned a spot but numbers could squeeze him out until after the expansion draft.
We could expose CDH and/or Hickey, and if I am not wrong also Pulock is eligible to be taken. Before we get there, Snow can engineer a trade of one of Hammer, CDH, Hickey, Pulock, Seidenberg.
We need 8 NHL defensemen. We don't need 3 goaltenders, one of which takes up a roster spot.
We need to continue to test Mayfield in games conditions to get comfortable that he can handle a regular spot.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
This is a good problem to have.

If we want to protect Mayfield from waivers we can send Pelech down for the balance, he is exempt this year. He has earned a spot but numbers could squeeze him out until after the expansion draft.
We could expose CDH and/or Hickey, and if I am not wrong also Pulock is eligible to be taken. Before we get there, Snow can engineer a trade of one of Hammer, CDH, Hickey, Pulock, Seidenberg.
We need 8 NHL defensemen. We don't need 3 goaltenders, one of which takes up a roster spot.
We need to continue to test Mayfield in games conditions to get comfortable that he can handle a regular spot.

I think he is exempt from waivers on his way back down this time to the nature of his recall. Check out the site that I linked to in my last post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad