Value of: Scott Mayfield at the Deadline

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Uh...term?

They have 1 year left after this. NYI LD blows and Holl would backfill Mayfield and allow Dobson to move up.

Dobson is already on the top pair carrying Chara's jockstrap around on a nightly basis.

Still don't think NYI is moving Mayfield unless they get a 1st+ and I'm not so sure they even want to field offers on him at all after seeing how well he stepped up when Pulock was out for 10 weeks.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Depending on how it goes with Robertson the rest of the way, that's a cheap ELC contributor in the top 9 next season for the Isles.

Prospect development is also a little weird the last few years with the CHL problems because of covid. Robertson basically played in the AHL a year earlier than he should have because of the pandemic and as stated, he wasn't a man child to really handle that.

Absolute rocket of a shot though...if the package doesn't appeal to the Isles, fairly easy to move on if you're the Leafs to a secondary option like Braun or something which will represent a cheaper addition.
He also blew out a knee and broke his leg in his last two short NHL stints. Why an undersized guy who isn't a good skater anyway coming off major injuries is somehow a blue chip prospect is ludicrous. Mayfield is a useful NHL player, its doubtful Robertson approaches that.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I never said he did but top prospects go for difference makers.
Mayfield is a good defense man that could help a lot of teams but he's not a difference maker.

You might want to take a deep dive in WHEN he scores goals.Important playoff goals. Ask Tampa about that.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I can say with a high degree of confidence that the Leafs are not going to trade Knies... period... and especially not in a deal for a guy like Mayfield.

MAYBE the Leafs do their 1st, and then try to flip Dermott else for a 2nd kind of idea. Maybe Lou likes what he saw in Travis Dermott when he was here, and looks at him a a guy that can play in the top 4 with a Dobson/Pulock; in which case you probably do Dermott & a 2nd for Mayfield and a 5th kind of idea.
Lou has no use for a defensively liable defenseman in return for a player still under contract that they have no need to move. Dermott can’t fill a hole in the top 4 over what they currently have. He can barely fill a hole in the bottom pairing over Chara at this rate.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dobson is already on the top pair carrying Chara's jockstrap around on a nightly basis.

Still don't think NYI is moving Mayfield unless they get a 1st+ and I'm not so sure they even want to field offers on him at all after seeing how well he stepped up when Pulock was out for 10 weeks.

I think Mayfield is a quality #4 for sure, Pulock locked up on a good deal and Dobson represents a bit part of the Islanders future so Mayfield is on the 3rd pairing and will be very overpaid to do so or will want to leave for more opportunity. He's also going to want to be paid after signing a sweetheart deal on his last contract.

He also blew out a knee and broke his leg in his last two short NHL stints. Why an undersized guy who isn't a good skater anyway coming off major injuries is somehow a blue chip prospect is ludicrous. Mayfield is a useful NHL player, its doubtful Robertson approaches that.

Robertson's goal scoring in the OHL was almost historic levels...but yea...some jackass on HFBoards thinks he never approaches "useful NHLer"

Thanks for coming out.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Mayfield is a quality #4 for sure, Pulock locked up on a good deal and Dobson represents a bit part of the Islanders future so Mayfield is on the 3rd pairing and will be very overpaid to do so or will want to leave for more opportunity. He's also going to want to be paid after signing a sweetheart deal on his last contract.

Absolutely, but NYI will be re-tooling this offseason to try and get back into the playoffs. Mayfield on the third pairing at his cap hit is exactly what you want.

If he walks after his current deal, that's fine, but why not keep the depth while you have it?

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I hope we go after him
search

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Robertson's goal scoring in the OHL was almost historic levels...but yea...some jackass on HFBoards thinks he never approaches "useful NHLer"

Thanks for coming out.
OHL Really? Sure

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Lou has no use for a defensively liable defenseman in return for a player still under contract that they have no need to move. Dermott can’t fill a hole in the top 4 over what they currently have. He can barely fill a hole in the bottom pairing over Chara at this rate.

I think you substantially underrate the quality of defenceman that Dermott is.

No, he's not Mayfield, and yes, he does certainly need a change of scenery; but the Islanders only have 4 defencemen under contract/control for next year without Mayfield.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Can’t see the islanders trading him if they want to compete. What incentive would they have to move. Good defenceman on a cheap contract. Wouldn’t make sense to trade him.

Reactions: saintunspecified

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I think you substantially underrate the quality of defenceman that Dermott is.

No, he's not Mayfield, and yes, he does certainly need a change of scenery; but the Islanders only have 4 defencemen under contract/control for next year without Mayfield.
The guy is not a fit for the Islanders simply because he needs a defensive partner to be paired with and would make more mistakes then Leddy did in his -42 year playing too 4. They can easily bring up both Salo and Hutton plus test out Bolduc by the end of the season. If he needs a change of scenery, send him to a team who can use him.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Salo's definitely a key defenseman for the Isles next season. Played very well against men in the SHL and with every NHL game played gets less tentative and shows more skill. If Chara wasn't approaching most games played and considered a great teammate Salo would be getting more minutes.

We'll still need a LD next year but at least Robin looks like a good 2nd pairing dman. He's also the only d on the team that seems to be able to run a power play, albeit a pathetic one that we have.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Salo's definitely a key defenseman for the Isles next season. Played very well against men in the SHL and with every NHL game played gets less tentative and shows more skill. If Chara wasn't approaching most games played and considered a great teammate Salo would be getting more minutes.

We'll still need a LD next year but at least Robin looks like a good 2nd pairing dman. He's also the only d on the team that seems to be able to run a power play, albeit a pathetic one that we have.
Put Salo with Mayfield then find a guy to play 2nd pairing minutes with Dobson next year. Chara and Greene will most likely call it quits this summer with Andy maybe getting a PTO if he decides to come back. Aho needs to get moved to somewhere else and Hickey is gone finally. It’ll be an interesting summer for sure for the blueline.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
You are aware that prospects sometimes play in the OHL, right? And that if they do well there, it could be a good sign? Are you unfamiliar with this phenomenon?

Taking a guess that the poster means OHL is a step down from the AHL, which is a step down from the NHL. So a prospect performing well there doesn't translate into a successful NHL career. Don't know how accurate that is regarding whatever prospect you two are discussing.

As an Isles example, Michael Dal Colle tore up the OHL on two different teams, then had a respectable season on an awful Isles AHL team. He can't buy a goal in the NHL and looks like any other minimum salaried tweener when he's called up.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
You are aware that prospects sometimes play in the OHL, right? And that if they do well there, it could be a good sign? Are you unfamiliar with this phenomenon?
Not having NHL skating ability and lack of size doesnt preclude OHL success. You must be aware of the talent differences of the two leagues?

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Not having NHL skating ability and lack of size doesnt preclude OHL success. You must be aware of the talent differences of the two leagues?
“Robertson had an almost historical goal scoring season in the OHL”

“Yeah, but that’s just the OHL so that doesn’t count for anything”

Do you see how dumb that sounds?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
“Robertson had an almost historical goal scoring season in the OHL”

“Yeah, but that’s just the OHL so that doesn’t count for anything”

Do you see how dumb that sounds?
It does when you say it. I didn't say that however. If you think having a "historical" scoring season in the OHL two years ago, before two injuries and before it became apparent he cant skate at an NHL level, makes him some uber prospect now, you don't know how this works.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
It does when you say it. I didn't say that however. If you think having a "historical" scoring season in the OHL two years ago, before two injuries and before it became apparent he cant skate at an NHL level, makes him some uber prospect now, you don't know how this works.
In your original comment, you discounted a terrific OHL season just because it was in the OHL.

And yes, I think him having a great scoring season makes him a good prospect. Not Ovechkin level but there's some promise there for sure. It's just a matter of seeing whether it can translate to the NHL, but that's the case for all prospects.

Also not sure where you got this idea that he can't skate at an NHL level from. Even if its true, never stopped players like Toffoli from being effective.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
I'd caution against comparing to Savard... the general consensus was that there was only 1 specific situation where he was worth a 1st, and that was to Tampa. There's also a lot more big-bodied RHDs available this year with half of the eastern conference basically eliminated.

I could see that Tampa go for him, +/- is very much a team stat and they have two cups and the only player who is better that all Tampa players if You look at those two years are Mayfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad