Value of: Scott Mayfield at the Deadline

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If the Leafs acquire him, I can see them keeping Holl, he's been very good lately, especially with Sandin.

Have to imagine the Leafs 1st is on the table considering Mayfield is signed for another year, but who knows.

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl/Mayfield
Sandin-Mayfield/Holl

looks pretty good to me.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
If the Leafs acquire him, I can see them keeping Holl, he's been very good lately, especially with Sandin.

Have to imagine the Leafs 1st is on the table considering Mayfield is signed for another year, but who knows.

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl/Mayfield
Sandin-Mayfield/Holl

looks pretty good to me.

Savard at 50% on an expiring contract went for a a first, third and fourth. Mayfield is cheaper than Savard was at 50% and has an extra year attached - I think that the ask would be a first+ but good to know that other teams would see him as worthy of at least a first

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Savard at 50% on an expiring contract went for a a first, third and fourth. Mayfield is cheaper than Savard was at 50% and has an extra year attached - I think that the ask would be a first+ but good to know that other teams would see him as worthy of at least a first

I sometimes quote last year when looking at the value of defensemen but I think they will go for less this year. More guys on the market. More sellers than last year. Fewer buyers as a result.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This is who I would rather the Avs target before Giroux.

Think Sakic can get a sweet deal on another Isles Dman?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
From the leafs id offer a 2022 1st and conditional 2023 2nd if leafs make the second round, if not a 2023 3rd instead.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
29 year old right-handed shooting defenseman who keeps getting better every year. One more year at 1.5 million.
Why?
Wait until next year. If this year is just an anomaly and he’s traded, they will be looking for the exact same type of player next season.
If it turns out that the team is cooked for the foreseeable future then just trade him next year at the deadline.
In other words, don’t trade Scott Mayfield.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
29 year old right-handed shooting defenseman who keeps getting better every year. One more year at 1.5 million.
Why?
Wait until next year. If this year is just an anomaly and he’s traded, they will be looking for the exact same type of player next season.
If it turns out that the team is cooked for the foreseeable future then just trade him next year at the deadline.
In other words, don’t trade Scott Mayfield.

the thinking here is basically that Dobson has passed Mayfield on the depth chart and Mayfield is now our 3rd RD. Mayfield will likely need 4M-ish to stick around after next season and we can’t afford to pay that to our 3rd pairing D. If we can get 45 great mins out of Dobson and Pulock every night then we can replace Mayfield with any number of cheap 3rd pairing guys in the off-season.

Right now his value is at the highest it will be with one year left on his deal and coming off of a memorable playoff run. The isles have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. Trading Mayfield (and Varlamov) are the easiest ways to address that from a position of strength

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
the thinking here is basically that Dobson has passed Mayfield on the depth chart and Mayfield is now our 3rd RD. Mayfield will likely need 4M-ish to stick around after next season and we can’t afford to pay that to our 3rd pairing D. If we can get 45 great mins out of Dobson and Pulock every night then we can replace Mayfield with any number of cheap 3rd pairing guys in the off-season.

Right now his value is at the highest it will be with one year left on his deal and coming off of a memorable playoff run. The isles have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. Trading Mayfield (and Varlamov) are the easiest ways to address that from a position of strength
I understand your logic, I would gamble by taking the chance that your back in the mix next year.
He’s a big man who plays big. The only way you lose by waiting is if god forbid he gets injured.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What we’ve established with the previous Mayfield thread is how it’ll just turn into the Leafs fans offering stuff the Islanders don’t need (defensively abysmal LHD and/or undersized forwards) in return for him. If Lou is moving him, I fully expect something in return that will help the Islanders moving forward.

Reactions: Wanderson

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
theres no point in moving him unless its an overpay and they feel Hutton is good enough to play out the season
Hutton is a solid #7 moving forward. I’m not so sure I trust him with the way Chara has been playing this season. It’s more so if they can trust Grant next season then the remainder of this one after the deadline.

Jan 21, 2018
What we’ve established with the previous Mayfield thread is how it’ll just turn into the Leafs fans offering stuff the Islanders don’t need (defensively abysmal LHD and/or undersized forwards) in return for him. If Lou is moving him, I fully expect something in return that will help the Islanders moving forward.

Seems to me like the only thing we’ve established is that Uncle Lou has no problem trading quality D for mediocre picks.

Remind me again how much value the isles got in return for Toews? I wouldn’t get your hopes up if Mayfield gets traded, not when Uncle Lou is in charge!

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Lou also traded Toews for two 2nds.

He might just be happy with a pick and a prospect.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Seems to me like the only thing we’ve established is that Uncle Lou has no problem trading quality D for mediocre picks.

Remind me again how much value the isles got in return for Toews? I wouldn’t get your hopes up if Mayfield gets traded, not when Uncle Lou is in charge!
Toews was a cap casualty unfortunately so it’s a completely different situation. Greene when acquired was the perfect partner for a rookie Dobson and Noah turned out quite alright. I’m not hoping Mayfield gets traded at all but if so, not for cap dumps and average prospects. I’d rather watch Aho and Chara as a pair then Dermott on Long Island making his defensive mistakes.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Lou also traded Toews for two 2nds.

He might just be happy with a pick and a prospect.
What prospect are we talking about though? The equivalent of a career minor leaguer that’s just a warm body is just pointless as a return for him with an additional year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What prospect are we talking about though? The equivalent of a career minor leaguer that’s just a warm body is just pointless as a return for him with an additional year.

I can see the Leafs giving up a non(Knies/Amirov/Robertson/Niemela) prospect that Lou would like.

Someone like Hirvonen. He's somewhat like who the leafs had in Grundstrom. Although the Leafs probably would be better suited to hold on to him IMO but I can see them moving him.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I can see the Leafs giving up a non(Knies/Amirov/Robertson/Niemela) prospect that Lou would like.

Someone like Hirvonen. He's somewhat like who the leafs had in Grundstrom. Although the Leafs probably would be better suited to hold on to him IMO but I can see them moving him.
I’d target Knies on that list honestly. Anything that doesn’t include those wasted contracts (Dermott, Ritchie or similar) or Robertson (way too undersized). Those wasted contacts have too much term and are basically wasted roster spots over guys that should play. Dermott is honestly worse for the Islanders then playing one of the kids from the minors and Ritchie is well a road cone moving at the speed of a sloth.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I’d target Knies on that list honestly. Anything that doesn’t include those wasted contracts (Dermott, Ritchie or similar) or Robertson (way too undersized). Those wasted contacts have too much term and are basically wasted roster spots over guys that should play. Dermott is honestly worse for the Islanders then playing one of the kids from the minors and Ritchie is well a road cone moving at the speed of a sloth.

Roberston would become an Islanders favourite IMHO.

He's got that buzzsaw style and plays at 100% every-shift. Add elite offensive instincts and that's got the makings of a fan favourite.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Don't see the leafs trading knies, Robertson, Niemela, or Amirov in a Mayfield deal. Most I can see is a 2022 1st and 2023 2nd. Anymore then that and Mayfield isn't worth it.

Reactions: The90

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Different year, different market this yeat it's a buyers market

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad