Value of: Scott Mayfield at the Deadline

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
2nd 23
Robertson
Holl/Dermott

Seems like a pretty reasonable offer which is what I had offered previously and I am having reservations with how Robertson has played upon return.
Isles pass for that offer. Keep those veterans. They have too much term and don’t do anything for the Islanders moving forward except waste a roster spot.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Isles pass for that offer. Keep those veterans. They have too much term and don’t do anything for the Islanders moving forward except waste a roster spot.
Holl would give the isles the 3rd they would need when dobson moves to the top 4 next season. Robertson is also being highly underrated because of injury. I have zero doubt he will be a good top 6 Lw. The kid has every tool you would want in a prospect except huge size. Think Hagel from Chicago but with a much better shot. Thats why I'm against adding him in a deal for Mayfield.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Uh...term?

They have 1 year left after this. NYI LD blows and Holl would backfill Mayfield and allow Dobson to move up.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Uh...term?

They have 1 year left after this. NYI LD blows and Holl would backfill Mayfield and allow Dobson to move up.
LD might be an issue right now but Dermott is downright useless for them and Holl is at best a bottom pairing guy. It doesn’t do anything for next season except give them a 6/7 defenseman with more NHL experience then Sebastian Aho. That’s the issue with that. Why downgrade that much just to get a prospect that’s extremely undersized and coming off a major injury? Really not worth it just to make a trade.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Holl would give the isles the 3rd they would need when dobson moves to the top 4 next season. Robertson is also being highly underrated because of injury. I have zero doubt he will be a good top 6 Lw. The kid has every tool you would want in a prospect except huge size. Think Hagel from Chicago but with a much better shot. Thats why I'm against adding him in a deal for Mayfield.
This is why I’d rather take Knies over Robertson. Both are highly touted but Knies at 6’3 can atleast gain strength to out muscle guys vs another guy who’s similar to Anthony Beauvillier. Beau might be moved come the summer if the offer is right and it shakes up the roster.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think if the Isles can't sign Mayfield to a contract in the offseason he'd go at next year's deadline. No reason to trade him now if his value is a late 1st and a B prospect or a 2nd. He'd return that next trade deadline.

Contrary to HFboards beliefs, a prospect that hasn't made the NHL in his D+3 to 5 year or a 50th overall pick hold absolutely no value. A playoff team with a 1st round pick that *should* be in the 20's is a trade chip, not much more.

In the last five years there's about a 20% chance that a 20th-30th overall pick contributes in a top 9, top 4 role. There's a bunch of guys that project out to be 2nd liners or top 4 but it takes 4 or 5 years for that to happen and most teams consistently picking in that range are more concerned with Cup runs than prospect development.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I think if the Isles can't sign Mayfield to a contract in the offseason he'd go at next year's deadline. No reason to trade him now if his value is a late 1st and a B prospect or a 2nd. He'd return that next trade deadline.

Contrary to HFboards beliefs, a prospect that hasn't made the NHL in his D+3 to 5 year or a 50th overall pick hold absolutely no value. A playoff team with a 1st round pick that *should* be in the 20's is a trade chip, not much more.

In the last five years there's about a 20% chance that a 20th-30th overall pick contributes in a top 9, top 4 role. There's a bunch of guys that project out to be 2nd liners or top 4 but it takes 4 or 5 years for that to happen and most teams consistently picking in that range are more concerned with Cup runs than prospect development.
You have no clue about the prospects you are referencing, none at all. By all means keep Mayfield and if you think he will garner a 1st and a 2nd next deadline great for the isles. No nhl team will overpay for Mayfield, and anything more then a 1st and 2nd is an overpay for a 4- 5 shutdown d man.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Depending on how it goes with Robertson the rest of the way, that's a cheap ELC contributor in the top 9 next season for the Isles.

Prospect development is also a little weird the last few years with the CHL problems because of covid. Robertson basically played in the AHL a year earlier than he should have because of the pandemic and as stated, he wasn't a man child to really handle that.

Absolute rocket of a shot though...if the package doesn't appeal to the Isles, fairly easy to move on if you're the Leafs to a secondary option like Braun or something which will represent a cheaper addition.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Depending on how it goes with Robertson the rest of the way, that's a cheap ELC contributor in the top 9 next season for the Isles.

Prospect development is also a little weird the last few years with the CHL problems because of covid. Robertson basically played in the AHL a year earlier than he should have because of the pandemic and as stated, he wasn't a man child to really handle that.

Absolute rocket of a shot though...if the package doesn't appeal to the Isles, fairly easy to move on if you're the Leafs to a secondary option like Braun or something which will represent a cheaper addition.
Soucy would be a good target and is almost as good as Mayfield.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
This is why I’d rather take Knies over Robertson. Both are highly touted but Knies at 6’3 can atleast gain strength to out muscle guys vs another guy who’s similar to Anthony Beauvillier. Beau might be moved come the summer if the offer is right and it shakes up the roster.
Knies isn't on the table for a 4-5 d man no matter how good his contract is.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
You have no clue about the prospects you are referencing, none at all. By all means keep Mayfield and if you think he will garner a 1st and a 2nd next deadline great for the isles. No nhl team will overpay for Mayfield, and anything more then a 1st and 2nd is an overpay for a 4- 5 shutdown d man.

Settle down crying cathy, I didn't critique any prospects from anyone's pool save make a general statement that is true. The success rate of picks 20+ is well documented. It's not good and if it comes down to keeping Mayfield for a year or getting more darts to throw at the board I'll take the producing player every time (as would NHL Gm's unless their team is out of the playoff race and contract negotiations for an impeding UFA have stalled).

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Savard at 50% on an expiring contract went for a a first, third and fourth. Mayfield is cheaper than Savard was at 50% and has an extra year attached - I think that the ask would be a first+ but good to know that other teams would see him as worthy of at least a first
Last year gms where under the assumption the cap would be going up going forward. With canada closing fans down in majority of the arenas that i doubt that happens now and now teams have others under contract that are good in the regular season as well as playoffs they will go before mayfield and chairot and then also alot of people like to compare last years deals savard was a beast for alot of last year and year before its comparing oranges to apples. Gms change players change price changes theres to many variables to compare deals from the past. Especially looking at what theyre doing now(shitting the bed) gms will be hesistant to a degree trading certain assets

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Settle down crying cathy, I didn't critique any prospects from anyone's pool save make a general statement that is true. The success rate of picks 20+ is well documented. It's not good and if it comes down to keeping Mayfield for a year or getting more darts to throw at the board I'll take the producing player every time (as would NHL Gm's unless their team is out of the playoff race and contract negotiations for an impeding UFA have stalled).
No need to call names, I was stating a fact.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I would hope the Oil would make a call IF he was actually available. We'd need to have a 2nd deal in the works to move Barrie for a LHD, but I think adding a guy like Mayfield would help 2 fold.

1) We could pair him with Nurse and he could be the defensive rock and let Nurse play more aggressive (which he already does, but when paired with Bouchard Nurse tries to reign things in a bit which actually hurts his game oddly enough).

2) It would force Bouchard down the lineup a bit. Let him play a more sheltered role of 3rd pair and full 2 minutes on PP.

Not sure if this would be agreeable to all parties, but:

Trade 1:

To NYI: 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, Samorukov

To EDM: Mayfield

Trade 2:

To SEA: Barrie, Carter Savoie

To EDM: Soucy

D would then be:

Nurse-Mayfield
Keith-Ceci
Soucy-Bouchard

Would still need an upgrade in goal though, but I like the D and like our forward group. And both Soucy and Mayfield are bargains and still under contract next year.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I would hope the Oil would make a call IF he was actually available. We'd need to have a 2nd deal in the works to move Barrie for a LHD, but I think adding a guy like Mayfield would help 2 fold.

1) We could pair him with Nurse and he could be the defensive rock and let Nurse play more aggressive (which he already does, but when paired with Bouchard Nurse tries to reign things in a bit which actually hurts his game oddly enough).

2) It would force Bouchard down the lineup a bit. Let him play a more sheltered role of 3rd pair and full 2 minutes on PP.

Not sure if this would be agreeable to all parties, but:

Trade 1:

To NYI: 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, Samorukov

To EDM: Mayfield

Trade 2:

To SEA: Barrie, Carter Savoie

To EDM: Soucy

D would then be:

Nurse-Mayfield
Keith-Ceci
Soucy-Bouchard

Would still need an upgrade in goal though, but I like the D and like our forward group. And both Soucy and Mayfield are bargains and still under contract next year.
The first scenario is really good value that I dont think any team would beat. The second deal would be ok if Seattle values barrie and needs his offense, if they don't they look at it as a dump and good prospect. If Oilers were able to do this though they could hang with anyone in the west.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
1st+2nd or 1st+Abruzzese is what I could see the Leafs offering. I could see a higher-end prospect if the picks moves back to a 2nd.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The first scenario is really good value that I dont think any team would beat. The second deal would be ok if Seattle values barrie and needs his offense, if they don't they look at it as a dump and good prospect. If Oilers were able to do this though they could hang with anyone in the west.

I think Barrie would hold value to Seattle given what he provides. They need PP help for sure. He’d get 1st unit role and if he puts up numbers, likely can be flipped for picks in his final year.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I think Barrie would hold value to Seattle given what he provides. They need PP help for sure. He’d get 1st unit role and if he puts up numbers, likely can be flipped for picks in his final year.
If edmonton can pull both trades off they should for sure. Two excellent shutdown d men.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020

Mayfield will return less if dealt next year. Teams will obviously pay more to get him now because they'd have him for two playoff runs.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Savard at 50% on an expiring contract went for a a first, third and fourth. Mayfield is cheaper than Savard was at 50% and has an extra year attached - I think that the ask would be a first+ but good to know that other teams would see him as worthy of at least a first

I'd caution against comparing to Savard... the general consensus was that there was only 1 specific situation where he was worth a 1st, and that was to Tampa. There's also a lot more big-bodied RHDs available this year with half of the eastern conference basically eliminated.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I can say with a high degree of confidence that the Leafs are not going to trade Knies... period... and especially not in a deal for a guy like Mayfield.

MAYBE the Leafs do their 1st, and then try to flip Dermott else for a 2nd kind of idea. Maybe Lou likes what he saw in Travis Dermott when he was here, and looks at him a a guy that can play in the top 4 with a Dobson/Pulock; in which case you probably do Dermott & a 2nd for Mayfield and a 5th kind of idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad