Confirmed with Link: Scott Laughton new contract 5 x $3M

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
A poster said stolarz was a hit as a 2nd round pick. Same poster says it would be nice for people just to admit when they are wrong. I pointed out stolarz should not be considered a 2nd round hit and the poster should follow his own advise. Simple enough.

Uh....I hate to break this to you, but you still aren't making a lot of sense.

First of all, I don't know if I would call him a hit but he's certainly not a miss. Stolarz has more NHL GP than 18 other 2nd rounders from that draft at a position that plays fewer games. He has maintained strong AHL numbers and this season has stellar NHL numbers in limited minutes.

Also, what does any of that have to do with the fact that deady never admits when he's wrong, even when his own explicitly stated criteria clearly shows him to be wrong?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

First of all, I don't know if I would call him a hit but he's certainly not a miss. Stolarz has more NHL GP than 18 other 2nd rounders from that draft at a position that plays fewer games. He has maintained strong AHL numbers and this season has stellar NHL numbers in limited minutes.

Also, what does any of that have to do with the fact that deady never admits when he's wrong, even when his own explicitly stated criteria clearly shows him to be wrong?

Oh God, this is still going?

Sorry everyone. Controlling bad opinions around here is like herding cats.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
300px-Oof_Size_Large.jpg

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

Did I quote something of deadheads? I really don’t remember that.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

Basing your assessment on games played, What would you consider Haag? A home run. He’s played in over 200 games I think.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Did I quote something of deadheads? I really don’t remember that.

You started this little tangent by responding to a post that was specifically aimed at deady, or did you not realize that?

Basing your assessment on games played, What would you consider Haag? A home run. He’s played in over 200 games I think.

Over 200 games too many. Hagg's a bad hit. It happens when you have an antediluvian management team in place, but that's really neither here nor there for this particular discussion.

What do you think is a reasonable expectation for an average 2nd round pick? Because whatever it is, Stolarz has met it.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
You started this little tangent by responding to a post that was specifically aimed at deady, or did you not realize that?

Over 200 games too many. Hagg's a bad hit. It happens when you have an antediluvian management team in place, but that's really neither here nor there for this particular discussion.

What do you think is a reasonable expectation for an average 2nd round pick? Because whatever it is, Stolarz has met it.

I would say to be considered a “hit” you need to play 100-150+. Games. I’d guess 40+% of 2nd rounders do. But that’s just a guess.

By the way I love how you say he’s already met the expectations as a “hit” no matter what my opinion is. So what’s the point?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would say to be considered a “hit” you need to play 100-150+. Games. I’d guess 40+% of 2nd rounders do. But that’s just a guess.

By the way I love how you say he’s already met the expectations as a “hit” no matter what my opinion is. So what’s the point?

2nd rd: 28% 200 games, 19% 400 games, 12% 700

Cutoffs in the draft,
1-5: 48% all star
6-15: 54% 400 games, 24% all star
16-25: 45%/15% all star
26-30: 35%/11%
31-50: 22%/6%
51-75: 17%/4%
76-100: 12%/4%
100+: 7%/2%

So tanking into the 11-14 range has real value at this point, since this season is a clusterf--k other wise.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laughton and Giroux look like the exact same player at ES. It’s uncanny.
I've changed my mind.

Signing a Giroux clone (minus the PP play but those points don't count anyways) for 5 years at $3m is a STEAL.

Sure, haters will say he was shooting 20.62% and had the leagues highest on-ice shooting % while scoring those 42 ES points from the start of last season until March 11 of this year, but so long as that holds up we can assume that scoring is an accurate representation of his scoring ability and future play.

Now, if we could only find someone we can pay to one of our top scorers off our hands to open up cap space...

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
2nd rd: 28% 200 games, 19% 400 games, 12% 700

Cutoffs in the draft,
1-5: 48% all star
6-15: 54% 400 games, 24% all star
16-25: 45%/15% all star
26-30: 35%/11%
31-50: 22%/6%
51-75: 17%/4%
76-100: 12%/4%
100+: 7%/2%

So tanking into the 11-14 range has real value at this point, since this season is a clusterf--k other wise.
So my guess was in the ballpark. 100+ games 40%?

mja

Jan 7, 2005

He’s at 31 games and counting at a position that gets fewer games than all of the others, has fewer spots in the league, and a longer development curve. Also, it’s less than 35% on 2nd rounders playing 100 games, so the vast majority of 2nd rounders never hit according to your definition. Getting a tweener back-up is not a bad outcome, and Stolarz still has an opportunity to be much more than that.

All of which has nothing to do with the post you responded to. You think you are dunking on someone when all you are actually doing is arguing semantics.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Whatever, in my opinion he isn’t an obvious hit. That’s all. No semantics involved. If he’s a hit as a second rounder that’s a low bar to set for a gm. My opinion. If Bobby brink plays only 40 nhl games by the age of 27. I wouldn’t put him in the hit category. Like I don’t think many here would.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't even think 200 games is a "hit", at least in the first hundred picks, after that you're just looking for depth, so it would be a hit in the 4th rd or so.
But 400 games is five full seasons.

Since most players in the first 50 or so picks get a few years to prove themselves to be duds, it's not hard to hit 200 games - Hagg has 220, NAK is already up to 85, he could muddle along on the 4th line for two more years and hit 200. VdV ended up with 278 games, Manning 255, Weal 218,

Even 400 is no guarantee of quality, but it usually means you have enough good seasons to get second and third chances:
Weise 513, Read 449, MDZ 699, Cousins 368 and counting,

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I've changed my mind.

Signing a Giroux clone (minus the PP play but those points don't count anyways) for 5 years at $3m is a STEAL.

Sure, haters will say he was shooting 20.62% and had the leagues highest on-ice shooting % while scoring those 42 ES points from the start of last season until March 11 of this year, but so long as that holds up we can assume that scoring is an accurate representation of his scoring ability and future play.

Now, if we could only find someone we can pay to one of our top scorers off our hands to open up cap space...

Out of curiosity has anyone lowered his shot percentage to it's norm and recalculate how many goals he would have scored.

Then compare ice time between the two, to go along with their ES output.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nah, the team sucks, but it's all the fault of Hayes, Laughton and Provorov, Hagg & Braun.
Couts, G, Voracek, JVR, TK, Ghost and Sanheim are blameless.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Since some only want to pretend that it's Laughton S% that matters. The last 2 yeas ASSISTS:

Laughton has 24 in 90 games...so 22 per 82 games
Giroux has 32 in 111 games...so 24 per 82 games

You would think our best passer would demolish Laughton in ES ASSIST, right?

And you can't use the Hayes excuse when we know Laughton play lots with Hayes.

Oh, and Giroux averages 14:47 at ES/game during this time and Laughton 13:03. So can't use that excuse either.

Maybe instead of bashing Laughton, how about bashing Giroux for not widely outproducing this shit player at ES.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Since some only want to pretend that it's Laughton S% that matters. The last 2 yeas ASSISTS:

Laughton has 24 in 90 games...so 22 per 82 games
Giroux has 32 in 111 games...so 24 per 82 games

You would think our best passer would demolish Laughton in ES ASSIST, right?

And you can't use the Hayes excuse when we know Laughton play lots with Hayes.

Oh, and Giroux averages 14:47 at ES/game during this time and Laughton 13:03. So can't use that excuse either.

Maybe instead of bashing Laughton, how about bashing Giroux for not widely outproducing this shit player at ES.
Laughton is not a shit player! LOL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Out of curiosity has anyone lowered his shot percentage to it's norm and recalculate how many goals he would have scored.

Then compare ice time between the two, to go along with their ES output.
In that specific time period? No idea. Not even sure if there's a way to do that for total scoring.

But if I had to guess, after taking a quick look at the two of their numbers during that time period, if everything was normalized to sustainable levels, their ES goal scoring rates would be pretty close, with Giroux obviously having a large edge in assists.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad