TSN: Scott Howson Fired as GM of the Blue Jackets - Jarmo Kekalainen hired as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If they want Brian Burke from us, are we entitled to any compensation? As I recall, we gave Anaheim the 37th pick in the 2009 draft to get Burke, correct?

We might be in line for a high second. Can anyone say parting gift?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If they want Brian Burke from us, are we entitled to any compensation? As I recall, we gave Anaheim the 37th pick in the 2009 draft to get Burke, correct?

Brian Burke being the egotistical and media-loving manager he is probably doesnt view the GM job of the Columbus Blue Jackets as a good career move for himself.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brian Burke being the egotistical and media-loving manager he is probably doesnt view the GM job of the Columbus Blue Jackets as a good career move for himself.

Well, he'd be right, since that job requires a ton of very un-glamorous patience.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
It scares me knowing Burke could end up GM for another team. He has a long history of signing or trading for "his" players. I mean sure, if Leafs win the trade then great.. but he's not exactly known for losing a lot of trades outside of the Kessel trade. I wouldn't want Burke circling our team with guys like Kadri, Frattin, Rielly, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, Kulemin, etc on his radar.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It scares me knowing Burke could end up GM for another team. He has a long history of signing or trading for "his" players. I mean sure, if Leafs win the trade then great.. but he's not exactly known for losing a lot of trades outside of the Kessel trade. I wouldn't want Burke circling our team with guys like Kadri, Frattin, Rielly, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, Kulemin, etc on his radar.

I dunno, he might be able to turn a cast off into a useful part, but it's not like he brought Perry and Getzlaf and Ryan to Toronto...

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Nonis can hold his own... Maybe we trade Gardiner and Lupul for a defencemen.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
According to Kypreos, it could be Jarmo Kekkalainen... would be huge to see the 1st European GM take over an NHL franchise, and I think he'd be an amazing choice given his amazing history with the Blues.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
According to Kypreos, it could be Jarmo Kekkalainen... would be huge to see the 1st European GM take over an NHL franchise, and I think he'd be an amazing choice given his amazing history with the Blues.

But to be fair, the Blues haven't accomplished anything outside of one great year...

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There aren't many positives to be taking over that job.

The only ones that I can think of are:

1. Low expectations

2. 3 first round picks in this upcoming draft.

There are a lot of brutal contracts on that roster and no really cornerstones to build around.

I'm a fan of Jack Johnson, Nick Foligno, Ryan Murray and Boone Jenner.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

No you aren't correct. Under the last CBA no compensation was allowed if a member of management was signed by another team. We lost the 2009 2nd as part of the trade to move up to get Schenn. Dont know how the pick ended up getting traded to the Ducks.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Burke loves having all control when he is a gm. Not being GM & President would not sit well with him, he is the guy who does not like to have to ask for permission to do something.

Jarmo: Did good work with the Blues and is on excellent terms with CBJ President JD. Most likely candidate.

Ron Hextall: Heard tweets of some interest in Ronnie getting an interview but I highly doubt they will take him in.

JFJ: If you thought their last two gms were bad, for CBJ sake I hope to god they don't hire this man.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
No you aren't correct. Under the last CBA no compensation was allowed if a member of management was signed by another team. We lost the 2009 2nd as part of the trade to move up to get Schenn. Dont know how the pick ended up getting traded to the Ducks.

Im lost... Leafs traded the pick to the Isles to move up to get Schenn. Isles traded the pick along with a first to the Jackets to move up to 16 (then the Isle moved up from the to 12 to get de Hann). Then Columbus traded the the pick and the 26th overall pick to Anaheim for the 21st overall pick to get John Moore and a 3rd round pick.

The Pick: TOR - NYI - CBJ - ANA

* The Toronto Maple Leafs' second-round pick went to the Anaheim Ducks as the result of a trade on June 26, 2009 that sent a first-round pick (#21 overall) in 2009 to Columbus in exchange for a first-round pick (#26 overall) in 2009 and this pick.[6]
Columbus previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on June 26, 2009 that sent a first-round pick (#16 overall) in 2009 and a third-round pick (#77 overall) in 2009 to the NY Islanders in exchange for a first-round pick (#26 overall) in 2009, a third-round pick (#62 overall) in 2009, a fourth-round pick (#92 overall) in 2009 and this pick.[6]
New York previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008 that sent a first-round pick in 2008 to Toronto in exchange for a first-round pick in 2008, a third-round pick in 2008 and this pick.[11]

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Columbus has a decent fanbase actually, just have had piss poor managment for years.

Burke isn't afraid to make some risky moves and has made some solid trades, he's a good fit.

plus he has 3 1st rounders in a deep draft this year, that's a great start.

Burke isn't a great drafter though. He would need time to build a strong scouring network, which he wouldn't get.

My thoughts though after the Flyers game was that some team doubting in their GM was going to dust off the guillotine soon... Didn't even take a week...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Burke isn't a great drafter though. He would need time to build a strong scouring network, which he wouldn't get.

My thoughts though after the Flyers game was that some team doubting in their GM was going to dust off the guillotine soon... Didn't even take a week...

How is he a bad drafter?

a guy he drafted is a PPG player with us this year(Kadri).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad