Confirmed with Link: Scott Hartnell Traded to CBJ For RJ Umberger and 2015 4th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
2 years later, I'm really not feeling this trade at all.

I bring this up with the speculation in main boards for hartnell possibly being dealt right now for a possible first rounder or a good prospect, while we are looking forward to buying out umberger at the end of the season.

This one goes down as a mistake by hextall here.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
The deal still had to be made. It was going to hinder the Flyers in the now but in the future this is where this move benefited the team when Umberger gets bought out, gets traded, or leaves as a FA.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2 years later, I'm really not feeling this trade at all.

I bring this up with the speculation in main boards for hartnell possibly being dealt right now for a possible first rounder or a good prospect, while we are looking forward to buying out umberger at the end of the season.

This one goes down as a mistake by hextall here.

No debating this.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
The deal still had to be made. It was going to hinder the Flyers in the now but in the future this is where this move benefited the team when Umberger gets bought out, gets traded, or leaves as a FA.

I don't understand this thought process. They both make similar salary. Hartnell is a top-6 player and vastly superior.

Trading away a guy like Macdonald for Umberger (who was rumored to about to be bought out) makes sense like that, but not Hartnell who is a top-6 player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gotta love this thread getting periodically bumped by people with short memories and little foresight.

:laugh:

It amazes me that people still don't get it.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Screw what they could have gotten for Hartnell now. This was strictly a cap decision at the time and while it hurt it made perfect sense then. No one knew back then that Hextall was a wizard and he could unload Vinny and Pronger.

Stay the course and suck it up for one more year.

Then win me a cup!!!

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
One thing that needs to be taken into consideration when talking this trade was Hartnell's NTC. He had to be convinced to go to Columbus. Which most likely means he wasn't going to many other teams. Columbus thought they were going to be an up and coming team as well. Hartnell might be more willing to waive his NTC with them because they are not a good team.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Lol at people saying Fire Hextall in the beginning of this thread. Hexy is the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long time

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You can't possibly pretend to be a good judge of trades.

Oh, and that specific post was a comment on not being worried about losing Hartnells offense, not that I thought Umberger was some great player.

Fact is, it doesn't take much for a player to put up goals with Giroux and Voracek. Perfect example is how they made Raffl look like a goal scorer last year.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
You can't possibly tell me that if Hartnell was an FA this season that he wont get a 3 yr 4.75m deal. There was no reason to trade him for negative value. Don't even try to defend this one.

We would have only had Hartnell for 2 more years than Umberger with the same salary.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
Oh, and that specific post was a comment on not being worried about losing Hartnells offense, not that I thought Umberger was some great player.

Fact is, it doesn't take much for a player to put up goals with Giroux and Voracek. Perfect example is how they made Raffl look like a goal scorer last year.

You said that Umberger was going to replace Hartnell's offense without missing a beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad