Confirmed with Link: Scott Hartnell Traded to CBJ For RJ Umberger and 2015 4th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hartsy has his flaws, but character isn't one of them.

Looks more and more like they really didn't like Hartnell's aversion to getting in shape in the offseason. He was really out of shape at the beginning of last year. Berube worked him back into shape, then he ran out of gas by the time the playoffs ran around and had nothing left to offer. That was his ticket out of town. Vinny played as well as he could, he just can't/won't play LW and the Flyers don't need him at C or RW. There is nothing inherently wrong with either of them, but the team should play better without them.

MadFerIt95*

The worst thing about this trade is that we will never see Kimmo Timonen passing the cup to Hartnell or vice/versa. That aspect of it really sucks.

But from a business aspect I see why it makes sense. Will miss Hartnell for sure, love the guy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The worst thing about this trade is that we will never see Kimmo Timonen passing the cup to Hartnell or vice/versa. That aspect of it really sucks.

But from a business aspect I see why it makes sense. Will miss Hartnell for sure, love the guy.

Lets hope we run into that problem.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
Hartnell wasn't my favorite player, but I warmed up to the doofus over the years. In truth, I wish we could have had both him and Umberger on the roster because they bring different things to the table and they could use the depth.

But the Flyers won this trade. They got cap relief sooner, a better defensive player, a guy who can play multiple positions, and takes less penalties. I will miss him, but this is not a game changer of a trade. They lost nothing significant. The outrage is a little misguided and I say that as someone who will actually miss him.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Makes no sense to do it right now.

I guess it makes a tiny, tiny, tiny, bit of sense if the Flyers can't move anyone this offseason.

Don't know why the Flyers wouldn't just let Columbus buy him out, as was the rumour, though. Could have traded Hartnell of a late rounder, if they really felt the need to move him.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I guess it makes a tiny, tiny, tiny, bit of sense if the Flyers can't move anyone this offseason.

Don't know why the Flyers wouldn't just let Columbus buy him out, as was the rumour, though. Could have traded Hartnell of a late rounder, if they really felt the need to move him.

Exactly. Hartnell could have been dealt for picks alone if the plan was to buy out Umberger...

Regardless, a Grossmann trade would clear up more cap room than an Umberger buy out. I have to imagine someone would give a late pick for two years of a moderately priced big body defender who can PK.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

There's a couple things that are at issue with this line of thinking. First and foremost, there is no guarantee that Umberger would sign in Philly, nor is there a guarantee that he would sign for the amount of money people around here had initially thought (I believe I had a discussion wherein I said I thought he would get signed for somewhere around $3 million and people seemed shocked that I would suggest this). Given the cap situation, there is also no guarantee that someone was taking on Hartnell's salary without something else going back in terms of salary (or retaining salary). If the idea was to clear cap space for the future and get a guy that can still play at a relatively decent level, you can't really be concerned with not waiting until a rumored buyout was to take place. The goal was accomplished.

Now, if you just wanted to deal Hartnell because you think he sucked and didn't care what you got in return, that is a different story. Or if you wanted to trade him and get more in return, also a different story. But there's nothing to complain about regarding not waiting until a rumored buyout may or may not have taken place.

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't realize you were talking about just ditching the cap space. Thoguht you meant we could have had RJ for cheaper or something. Disregard.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Even a Grossmann buyout makes more sense than buying out Umberger. As it looks right now, we actually need him as an established Veteran LW!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Even a Grossmann buyout makes more sense than buying out Umberger. As it looks right now, we actually need him as an established Veteran LW!

Yeah I'm not in favor of buying out anyone at this point. Even if we can't trade Vinny or Grosmann at this point, I'd rather keep them both than buy one or both out. VL is still a 20 goal scorer, and Grossmann is not as bad as reputation around here (and his contract isn't that bad either). I'd be ok trading both guys, or one of them, but the buyout route is not a good route to go down. As you stated, Umberger makes less sense given this team's LW situation.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Guess Hartnell couldn't do enough community service this time around to secure his job as an overrated and overpaid player who comes into camp out of shape and comes up small in the playoffs when we need him to be a power forward and actually pot some goals. Yeah the return is somewhat questionable but again he was overrated for what he was paid in money and term. Going to reserve judgement on this one....I see some logic in it. Hextall may not be done.

My immediate read between the lines when Hartnell was traded was that he wasn't fit physically due to his lousy training in the offseason nor a fit on this team any longer because of his crappy skating and I'm glad the message was sent..

Players like Voracek who typically gets fat eating his mom's cooking and gets into car accidents in the offseason better heed this...

Meltzer's write up on this was good...

Heading into the offseason, Berube threw down the gauntlet.

“We made it clear that everybody has to come into camp in shape,” the coach said. “It can’t be average, it can’t be just above average. It has to be exceptional. And they all know that. We need to get to another level defensively and that’s just everybody being accountable every moment they’re on the ice. A lot has to do with just pressure and skating and work."

“We have to change people. Because they’ve done it a certain way for a long while. You’ve got to change them, you’ve got to get on them more. But they’ve also got to want to make it happen.”

Ron Hextall stressed a similar theme at his introductory press conference as the Flyers' new general manager. Hextall noted that he felt if the team collectively elevated its conditioning level and skating, it would everyone a bit better.

The organization has followed that up over the summer. Players received formal letters about conditioning, laying out expectations for the fitness levels that will be expected on day one of training camp.

Although no one would ever say so on the record, the Flyers' decision to trade Scott Hartnell probably had something to do with the organization feeling that he was one of the players who was a little too set in his ways (both in terms of conditioning and in terms of the way he played on the ice not necessarily being conducive to the system Berube installed). He seemed unlikely to change and, thus, became someone the team opted to move out.

...Trading the immensely well-liked Hartnell after seven mostly productive seasons in Philadelphia sent an eye-opening message to the entire dressing room. If the Flyers were willing to trade their top-line left winger without a clear heir apparent for the role, the team is clearly very serious about holding players accountable to the approach it wants to take in terms of players' skating conditioning and adhering to Berube's on-ice system. Those who do not get on board with the regimens will not remain with the team.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...g-Hartnell-Umberger-Larsson-and-More/45/61236

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Umberger took over 40 less minors last season that Hartnell while producing two less goals.

-wow-

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I like Hartnell when he was mean but otherwise..he really didnt do much else when not scoring. Being the fan favorite I think took away from what his strengths were, which is being a dick at all times.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I will always Like Scott Hartnell but I would love a Stanley Cup more. Not saying him leaving will instantly bring us the cup....but if it helps to drive home the discipline and speed message, then it was a good move and it sets us down that path. im not happy they did it for Umberger, not because his game but because he was likely to be bought out or waived at the end of the season.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I like Hartnell when he was mean but otherwise..he really didnt do much else when not scoring. Being the fan favorite I think took away from what his strengths were, which is being a dick at all times.

He went from being a guy that was hard to play against every shift, to a guy that entertained us by falling down and being quotable. I agree with you 100%, when he was dirty and unpopular he was a better player and worth the money. He developed a decent release from the slot, but just decent. As popular as he was, he was never a top liner. I like Hexxy's approach, the minor penalties drag us down every year and the statistics in regards to Cup winners proves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad