Confirmed with Link: Scott Hannan Signs 1 Year, $1m Contract

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Yeah, hannan will just take time away from the youngsters,,,,the mentor comments are silly from DW/Vlasic and Braun and Burns will be much better mentors, by far. Should have saved these dollars for resigning Demers.

Our defense is thin. $1 million is a drop in the bucket. It provides a known quantity on a defense of unknowns. If this is all DW is going to do on defense and hopes Mueller has a Vlasic type rise, then this isn't a bad signing. Hell, back when Vlasic broke out, Hannan was with him every step of the way (google it if you can't remember). He's got very good positioning even with his other attributes fading. He can mentor without having our top guys share the load. Demers re-signing won't be an issue because of this signing.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah, hannan will just take time away from the youngsters,,,,the mentor comments are silly from DW/Vlasic and Braun and Burns will be much better mentors, by far. Should have saved these dollars for resigning Demers.

This signing has nothing to do with Demers.

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Numfar! Do the Dance of Joy!

tumblr_ldrirzhAKW1qaimf2o1_250.gif

And #22 too maybe?

I now hate this offseason less.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California

I...wat. I don't think you could be more off base in your assertion that Hannan's contributions at this point are outweighed by Braun and Burns' mentorship abilities. Hannan has played 1000 NHL games and 1/10 as many playoff games. For a 1/69th of the salary cap that alone would be sufficient reason to bring him back. But adding in his ability to be the 7th D and act as an insurance policy and this signing was a no-brainer.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
I...wat. I don't think you could be more off base in your assertion that Hannan's contributions at this point are outweighed by Braun and Burns' mentorship abilities. Hannan has played 1000 NHL games and 1/10 as many playoff games. For a 1/69th of the salary cap that alone would be sufficient reason to bring him back. But adding in his ability to be the 7th D and act as an insurance policy and this signing was a no-brainer.

Supposedly going into a rebuild and talking of offloading veterans in order to give the younger players a chance to play on this team, is not what I would call off base. We have a solid top three and if all works well in the Demers issue, a solid top 4 and all of a young age. Adding two from the A to crack this squad, would be in that pattern of a rebuild. We have to see what we have with our youth. Hannan takes up a spot which thus limits that (as we can be guaranteed as 'even others have mentioned', he isn't coming back to be a 7th spot). That is definitely on base! Solely removing Havlat and Stuart and Boyle is not any form of rebuild, especially with the scrapper additions being signed on (adding Brown to the mix makes 4 of them now).

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Supposedly going into a rebuild and talking of offloading veterans in order to give the younger players a chance to play on this team, is not what I would call off base. We have a solid top three and if all works well in the Demers issue, a solid top 4 and all of a young age. Adding two from the A to crack this squad, would be in that pattern of a rebuild. We have to see what we have with our youth. Hannan takes up a spot which thus limits that (as we can be guaranteed as 'even others have mentioned', he isn't coming back to be a 7th spot). That is definitely on base! Solely removing Havlat and Stuart and Boyle is not any form of rebuild, especially with the scrapper additions being signed on (adding Brown to the mix makes 4 of them now).

Haley is for Worch more than likely. Hannan isn't going to take up any spot. If the younger players beat him out in training camp (and let's be honest, if they can't beat out Hannan they're NOT ready) then they'll get a spot. Hannan will be #7 most of the time. He's there because you cannot slot in guys that have no NHL experience and just expect them to perform. Hannan has experience, knows how to mentor young players, and is effective especially in the playoffs.

Vlasic beat out Davison, Fahey and Murray for his spot. Is signing Hannan going to prevent Mueller from stepping up? No. Because if he can do it then he's ready.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Mueller or Abeltshauser only really has to beat out Irwin or Hannan. I don't think the bar is exceptionally high there.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California

He did offload veterans. You interpreted the 'rebuild' how you interpreted it. It wasn't DW's interpretation. Hannan takes up a spot...from whom? Abelthauser? Mueller? If they can't beat Hannan out they shouldn't be in the N. You're reaching for reasons this is a bad signing, and they aren't there.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Mueller or Abeltshauser only really has to beat out Irwin or Hannan. I don't think the bar is exceptionally high there.

The bar might not be super high, but I think it's far from given that either of them can do that. Mueller is still only 19 years old, and all the reports from Worcester were that KA was solid but not amazing (correct me if I'm wrong, I love him).

Either way though, I don't think it's fair to assume Hannan will never be in the 7th D spot. Of course he says he expects to play, and even as the 7th D he probably will, but I think there's a good chance he splits time. Kind of like he did last season. I have no problem with getting a vet 6/7 D in case young guys don't make the roster, especially since he wasn't terrible last year and is cheap.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Hannan will keep a seat warm in the pressbox and occasionally slap Mueller on the ass and give him an attaboy. Even a team with a youth movement - real or imagined - needs the crafty veterans around to provide some mentorship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad