Scott Go... uhm David Desharnais - Part VIII - Superfluous Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If DD had 22 points in 23 games and a 57% faceoff percentage like Bozak does then this discussion....well it wouldn't be over but it would be on hold right now.

I think there wouldn't be much being said at all. Much like last year when he was paired with two of the top snipers in the league. But the major problem is DD would never achieve that number because he is missing his eye on anything not related to patches. I seriously think he could put up OK numbers with anyone if he was separated from Patches. He would use his 'vision' to see both wingers and would likely even shoot.

I SOOOOO hate when he is wide open for a shot, but sees patches through 3 pairs of legs and goes for the pass. WTF are you thinking, shoot the puck on net. If patches pulled his head out of his rectum he would go to the net for the rebound or to cause traffic. Though perimeter patches is also very annoying. I would love to trade these two for the sedins and our 2nd. Patches is a shadow of himself. Where is the power forward we once thought we had. If I asked Max what shape the corner was, he might reply "square" with a shoulder shrug because he is so rarely there.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The French media bends over and kisses DD's ass at every opportunity. You're right Koivu went through hell because he didn't learn French. The whole language issue is bad enough if you let it influence your decision making as a coach and GM it's just a recipe for disaster and has been for the last 20 years.

It actually isnt if you make the same type of decision you would for an Anglo or Euro...

Say what you want, but language requirement or not, there is no reason whatsoever to keep a guy like Lefebvre to be the Dogs HC. None.

Same for the players, there is ways to add a few french speaking players without hurting the team really... backup goalie, 4th liner, 7th D, etc.

Sure, it would far from the Guy Lafleur and big 3 days, but hey, not the Habs fault the province havent developped great talent last few years.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
People act like the criticism against DD is out of control...Come on, do you not remember the absolute BULL **** that Koivu got for 10 ****ing years? It was a million times worse than what DD gets, and the bulk of it was because he didn't speak french (don't even deny it, you know it's true).

A dark spot on the history of this fanbase and people gloss over it like it never happened... He produced more than DD ever has, consistently, and contributed in many other ways that DD does not.

Acting indignant and pretending like DD is suffering worse criticism than anyone ever has before is ridiculous.

He is not producing, he is not playing well, and he deserves to be judged for what he is bringing to the team. He has 12 points and is #3 for forwards on the team for icetime, #2 for PP icetime. If that's good enough for you, I'd like to hear you say it.

Personnally, I'm not saying you shouldn't criticize DD. But everything should be put in perspective and it's totally unfair to say how he or even his usage is totally detrimental to the entire team. Makes no sense as our "success" right now is certainly not a proof that he's great either. But he should be bashed for what he's not bringing....again.

The French media bends over and kisses DD's ass at every opportunity. You're right Koivu went through hell because he didn't learn French. The whole language issue is bad enough if you let it influence your decision making as a coach and GM it's just a recipe for disaster and has been for the last 20 years.

Well not lately. RDS and Damphousse was on his case. But true that they are extremely "careful" when it comes to Quebecers. Just like Cherry is extremely careful when it comes to Canadians and so on. Some medias have positive bias towards certain people. Personnally, I don't exactly like it as everyboyd should be bashed or praised no matter the language they speak. But it doesn't solely happen on on our side. Doesn't make it more right though, I know. As far as the supposed recipe for disaster as far as GM and coach for the last 20 years, this is incredibly laughable. Every other cities have had the chance to choose whoever they wanted, no matter the language they speak. And yet, most teams have fired their management every 2 or 3 years. As of now, there are 4 franco-canadian coaches. Julien, Vigneault, Hartley, Roy and Therrien. 4 of them are amongst the best of the league. Roy was last year, still a rookie, struggling this year. So while other teams do NOT especially look at francos to fill their positions, we do. Needless to say that Julien, Vigneault and Therrien are Habs material. Hartley had the privilege to have been hired by a great friend. And Roy is Roy and a Colorado Icon. But most francos were and will have a career because of the Habs. So while, as a team, we should do like tons of people here say and "Look at a coach, GM or player NO MATTER THE LANGUAGE THEY SPEAK", well strangely, the other teams aren't doing it either. 'Cause strangely enough, francos rarely seems to be considered. Just piss me off that to this day, everytime I read this "no matter the language they speak", everytime we go and get a franco, it's surely because of the language he speaks. People were angry that we had to have quite a few players that spoke the language. And now that we have a grand of 3 francos....we are still concentrating too much at getting the locals?

It actually isnt if you make the same type of decision you would for an Anglo or Euro...

Say what you want, but language requirement or not, there is no reason whatsoever to keep a guy like Lefebvre to be the Dogs HC. None.

Same for the players, there is ways to add a few french speaking players without hurting the team really... backup goalie, 4th liner, 7th D, etc.

Sure, it would far from the Guy Lafleur and big 3 days, but hey, not the Habs fault the province havent developped great talent last few years.

True. I wouldn't keep Lefebvre whatsoever. But as far as adding french speaking players without hurting the team....well there is still surely a way to add better players than what you're talking about. True, that the province has ways to go to compensate for less francos in the league, but that should change in the upcoming years. And while it should NEVER be the #1 reason to get a player, I'm not going to say that if we get some, that it was for that reason that we got them....You still, to this day, get an anglophone who could be just as unuseful than Brière was....

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
True. I wouldn't keep Lefebvre whatsoever. But as far as adding french speaking players without hurting the team....well there is still surely a way to add better players than what you're talking about. True, that the province has ways to go to compensate for less francos in the league, but that should change in the upcoming years. And while it should NEVER be the #1 reason to get a player, I'm not going to say that if we get some, that it was for that reason that we got them....You still, to this day, get an anglophone who could be just as unuseful than Brière was....

There probably is, but it was just quick examples anyway, just saying it doesnt have to be a "savior".

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There probably is, but it was just quick examples anyway, just saying it doesnt have to be a "savior".

Hopefully Hudon can continue to progress...
We need to draft better in our own back yard.
Boston Philly NYR Pens are haunting us with late picks.
The highly touted players just aren't falling our way.
Tampa with Drouin now.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
How many posts did Gomez get /points

Are we nearly there with this clown?

Gomez was put on Kijiji at one points. The French Media laugh about that one.
They even made funny song about Gomez. It was fun to get on Gomez case.

DD got a tweet from the Mayor.....not funny at all.
The French Media took that tweet and created an Omerta around Desharnais' case.
Now, you're not a good fan or a good person if you criticize him.

As long as the French media will protect them, he'll probably have the favor or the casual fans.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It's infuriating to see Desharnais as the golden boy.

Second ... There may not be many Desharnais defenders left but there were many misguided people defending him over the years. Things I've read on this board, some of my responses in brackets :

- DD has dominated every league he's played in... (who gives a **** if he dominated the ECHL?);
-Erik Cole had his career season with Desharnais ;
- Max Pacioretty had his career season with Desharnais;
- Tomas Plekanec is a lesser offensive player;
- Desharnais might become Martin St Louis;
- Desharnais might maje Team Canada;
- Lars Eller is a lesser offensive player;
- Alex Galchenyuk can't take a faceoff or play defense;
- Desharnais is really good at power play faceoffs (that's not a real statistic);
- Desharnais is a better centre than Lecavalier or M. Koivu;
- Desharnais is in the top 1% of players for ability to control the game (He's better than Giroux?) ;
- Desharnais was 14th in points among centres in 2011-2012 (he had more points than Toews that year ... is he better than Toews?);
- Pacioretty has great chemistry with DD ;
- Desharnais is slumping on the PP but it doesn't matter because the PP is the least important situation (WTF???) ;

It's been nerve wrecking to see otherwise intelligent (though sometimes subpar) posters make all of these inane arguments over the years. I think a lot of people need to reflect on how they could be so severely wrong about something.

For me, this has bern like arguing with young earth creationists.

A lot of these things have been posted in passing by people who have come and gone.

I've read strange things about Subban, Eller, Plekanec, etc...

All of which were untrue.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

As long as the French media will protect them, he'll probably have the favor or the casual fans.

The pandering is an art MT perfected on AC...
He already had it in him but it brought out new levels of hypocrisy behind the bench. :p:
RDS literally gave him free rein to do as he pleased with certain players and had his back throughout.

habitue*

The pandering is an art MT perfected on AC...
He already had it in him but it brought out new levels of hypocrisy behind the bench. :p:
RDS literally gave him free rein to do as he pleased with certain players and had his back throughout.

What is this b.s. You're puking here ?

There is other French medias than RDS. Why does TVA , or Journal de Montreal, or LaPresse, even the Anglo medias are not bashing MT, too ?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not sure, but it doesn't even compare. French media still thinks this bum is a "vedette".

Absolutely untrue. While they are wrong for NOT talking about DD, that's what most french media do.....they don't talk about him when he struggles. That's not the sign that they think he's a star. Though lately, they do talk about it. Lajoie, Radio 9, who is surely the most separatist of our media guys, want to trade Plekanec. Not because he thinks the world out of DD. But because he recognize that the return is great with Pleks while not so great for DD. And also mentions that this team cannot have him on the first line on a great team. Yeah...pretty obvious isn't it? Well usually not for the french medias and even them are there now.

I didn't hear french media proclaim him as a star. And even if you'd find one, one guy DOES NOT talk for the whole french media.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

There is other French medias than RDS. Why does TVA , or Journal de Montreal, or LaPresse, even the Anglo medias are not bashing MT, too ?

This is fact Dude...
There is very little responsible sports journalism left in Montreal when it comes to the Habs.
It's become a Public Relations Gig.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Absolutely untrue. While they are wrong for NOT talking about DD, that's what most french media do.....they don't talk about him when he struggles. That's not the sign that they think he's a star. Though lately, they do talk about it. Lajoie, Radio 9, who is surely the most separatist of our media guys, want to trade Plekanec. Not because he thinks the world out of DD. But because he recognize that the return is great with Pleks while not so great for DD. And also mentions that this team cannot have him on the first line on a great team. Yeah...pretty obvious isn't it? Well usually not for the french medias and even them are there now.

I didn't hear french media proclaim him as a star. And even if you'd find one, one guy DOES NOT talk for the whole french media.

Social Media forced them into talking about him last year if you remember.
Very good point.
I have heard some media members use the term "vedette" when talking about Davey.
I've never seen an article or exposee claiming that however.

Apr 6, 2011

Quebec journalists pretty much all think the same way regardless of the media they work for.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa

Interesting you say that because I was over on the RDS site after the second loss to the Sabres and in the comment section there they have a voting system where you can give a thumbs up or thumbs down. There were several posts about DD being garbage and each of those posts were getting overwhelming thumbs up. So RDS can push all the rhetoric they want, they aren't fooling anyone. The only people supporting DD are the ones that value the 'made in Quebec' stamp over common sense. There aren't many of those fans anywhere just a very vocal few.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
I just have a feeling that he's going to go on a hot streak at some point and will salvage his season like last season. I'm not a fan of Desharnais but in order for the team to win, he will have to produce and I expect that from him especially if he plays with Paccioretty.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I just have a feeling that he's going to go on a hot streak at some point and will salvage his season like last season. I'm not a fan of Desharnais but in order for the team to win, he will have to produce and I expect that from him especially if he plays with Paccioretty.

Team's been winning despite him.

If we could replace DD with a first line center that's actually producing...

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
For how long Montreal didn't get a true legit number one center? Since Pierre Turgeon/Vincent Damphousse era or Bobby Smith? It's amazing how that problem is never get resolved. It's a farce IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad