Scott Go... uhm David Desharnais - Part VIII - Superfluous Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I have been reading for about 5 years. This dd stuff is just out of control completely. Every thread, every single chance someone gets. It's frustrating. Any person who really loves and understands the game can tell you that he's not a good player. Unfortunately he wears the ch, so we gotta cheer for him. He's not the only bad player in the league. #fangul

People like to discuss the most important position of our forwards. This is surprising?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have been reading for about 5 years. This dd stuff is just out of control completely. Every thread, every single chance someone gets. It's frustrating. Any person who really loves and understands the game can tell you that he's not a good player. Unfortunately he wears the ch, so we gotta cheer for him. He's not the only bad player in the league. #fangul

That comment completely encapsulates the dichotomy a lot of Hab fans contend with.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...I'm still waiting for that list of Top Line centres who are less effective than Desharnais...hell, even Top 6 centres...c'mon, valiant defenders!!...:laugh:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
...I'm still waiting for that list of Top Line centres who are less effective than Desharnais...hell, even Top 6 centres...c'mon, valiant defenders!!...:laugh:

Well Erik Cole had his career season with David Desharnais, so Desharnais is better than Eric Staal.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

why do so many of you believe there are DD defenders? Save for a few (I can count on one hand), all I see are DD bashers, MT bashers, and then a bunch of people tired of reading about how DD and Therrien are terrible. This board is so boring and predictable now

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Arcobello
Bozak (borderline)
Roy
Gagner
Legwand

Can't really think of anyone else. The only one on there that is a #1C is Bozak but Toronto suffers from not having anyone to fill taht role and Kessel being besties with Bozak. Actually sounds familiar.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
why do so many of you believe there are DD defenders? Save for a few (I can count on one hand), all I see are DD bashers, MT bashers, and then a bunch of people tired of reading about how DD and Therrien are terrible. This board is so boring and predictable now

Almost as sick and tired fans are of seeing that trash-heap as a first line centre.

Of seeing young offensive players like Eller (RIP is career), Galchenyuk and Gallagher overlooked and given harder and unforgiving matchups and NOT 1st wave-PP minutes in lieu of DD.

Of seeing Beaulieu, Tinordi and Nygren in the AHL instead of Allen and Mike Weaver.

Of seeing regressive non-hockey that isn't even that good defensively. At least under Jock Martin we prevented goals against and had a lethal PP - with Therrien we have nothing but blocked shots and a PK.

Of seeing a terrible PP.

Of seeing Subban completely and entirely muzzled.

Etc.

There is no goalie debate (which I was sick of) any more and Bork's gone. What else is there to complain about? We have a skilled team with good contracts and no trouble makers. Gionta the mercenary smurf is gone so I have nothing else left to complain about either.

Of course we're gonna complain about a 1st line centre who hasn't scored an EV goal in 40+ games, who can't shoot the puck, who is blisteringly inconsistent, who sucks in the playoffs, who is attached to Pacioretty's hip like he's some snake-bit stud. Gomez, who has proven and won infinitely MORE than DD, was benched and relegated for much less. This is infuriating.

X -Therrien.
X -Daigneault.
X -Desharnais.

I don't care how "fickle" it makes me (us) look, look into your heart Luke, you know it's true.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Arcobello
Bozak (borderline)
Roy
Gagner
Legwand

Can't really think of anyone else. The only one on there that is a #1C is Bozak but Toronto suffers from not having anyone to fill taht role and Kessel being besties with Bozak. Actually sounds familiar.

...Bozak is a much better player and far more effective than Desharnais; not close...Arcobello, Roy (better player), and Legwand haven't really been used as Top 6 centres much this year so you're kinda reaching there...and Gagner is pretty much Desharnais, just in a different body, so they're pretty interchangeable...;)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Sarcasm bro :)

I know. I'm just saying the only reason Cole had a career year with the Habs is because we put him on the first unit even though his career PP stats were horrible. Cole could have been a 70-80 point player if he were on the PP with Brind'Amour and Staal or Whitney.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
...Bozak is a much better player and far more effective than Desharnais; not close...Arcobello, Roy (better player), and Legwand haven't really been used as Top 6 centres much this year so you're kinda reaching there...and Gagner is pretty much Desharnais, just in a different body, so they're pretty interchangeable...;)

The point here is that Edmonton needs Desharnais to upgrade their #2 spot!

Saintpatrick*

Almost as sick and tired fans are of seeing that trash-heap as a first line centre.

Of seeing young offensive players like Eller (RIP is career), Galchenyuk and Gallagher overlooked and given harder and unforgiving matchups and NOT 1st wave-PP minutes in lieu of DD.

Of seeing Beaulieu, Tinordi and Nygren in the AHL instead of Allen and Mike Weaver.

Of seeing regressive non-hockey that isn't even that good defensively. At least under Jock Martin we prevented goals against and had a lethal PP - with Therrien we have nothing.

Of seeing a terrible PP.

Of seeing Subban completely and entirely muzzled.

Etc.

There is no goalie debate (which I was sick of) any more and Bork's gone. What else is there to complain about? We have a skilled team with good contracts and no trouble makers. Gionta the mercenary smurf is gone so I have nothing else left to complain about either.

Of course we're gonna complain about a 1st line centre who hasn't scored an EV goal in 40+ games, who can't shoot the puck, who is blisteringly inconsistent, who sucks in the playoffs, who is attached to Pacioretty's hip like he's some snake-bit stud. Gomez, who has proven and won infinitely MORE than DD, was benched and relegated for much less. This is infuriating.

X -Therrien.
X -Daigneault.
X -Desharnais.

I don't care how "fickle" it makes me (us) look, look into your heart Luke, you know it's true.
Right on all counts. The thing I'm most tired of is all the leeway DD gets. He can coast around, float, make mistakes that costs us goals. But if Elller or Chucky or anyone else did that he gets the bench. Don't hate DD just hate the favoritism he gets

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Arcobello
Bozak (borderline)
Roy
Gagner
Legwand

who produce WAY more offensively.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's infuriating to see Desharnais as the golden boy.

Second ... There may not be many Desharnais defenders left but there were many misguided people defending him over the years. Things I've read on this board, some of my responses in brackets :

- DD has dominated every league he's played in... (who gives a **** if he dominated the ECHL?);
-Erik Cole had his career season with Desharnais ;
- Max Pacioretty had his career season with Desharnais;
- Tomas Plekanec is a lesser offensive player;
- Desharnais might become Martin St Louis;
- Desharnais might maje Team Canada;
- Lars Eller is a lesser offensive player;
- Alex Galchenyuk can't take a faceoff or play defense;
- Desharnais is really good at power play faceoffs (that's not a real statistic);
- Desharnais is a better centre than Lecavalier or M. Koivu;
- Desharnais is in the top 1% of players for ability to control the game (He's better than Giroux?) ;
- Desharnais was 14th in points among centres in 2011-2012 (he had more points than Toews that year ... is he better than Toews?);
- Pacioretty has great chemistry with DD ;
- Desharnais is slumping on the PP but it doesn't matter because the PP is the least important situation (WTF???) ;

It's been nerve wrecking to see otherwise intelligent (though sometimes subpar) posters make all of these inane arguments over the years. I think a lot of people need to reflect on how they could be so severely wrong about something.

For me, this has bern like arguing with young earth creationists.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
who produce WAY more offensively.

He also has a top 5 winger and another guy who can produce in JvR. I'm not saying Bozak is better or worse, I'm just saying Toronto is in the same boat as us with not having an actual top line centre playing in that spot.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
People act like the criticism against DD is out of control...

Come on, do you not remember the absolute BULL **** that Koivu got for 10 ****ing years? It was a million times worse than what DD gets, and the bulk of it was because he didn't speak french (don't even deny it, you know it's true).

A dark spot on the history of this fanbase and people gloss over it like it never happened... He produced more than DD ever has, consistently, and contributed in many other ways that DD does not.

Acting indignant and pretending like DD is suffering worse criticism than anyone ever has before is ridiculous.

He is not producing, he is not playing well, and he deserves to be judged for what he is bringing to the team. He has 12 points and is #3 for forwards on the team for icetime, #2 for PP icetime. If that's good enough for you, I'd like to hear you say it.

Saintpatrick*

People act like the criticism against DD is out of control...

Come on, do you not remember the absolute BULL **** that Koivu got for 10 ****ing years? It was a million times worse than what DD gets, and the bulk of it was because he didn't speak french (don't even deny it, you know it's true).

A dark spot on the history of this fanbase and people gloss over it like it never happened... He produced more than DD ever has, consistently, and contributed in many other ways that DD does not.

Acting indignant and pretending like DD is suffering worse criticism than anyone ever has before is ridiculous.

He is not producing, he is not playing well, and he deserves to be judged for what he is bringing to the team. He has 12 points and is #3 for forwards on the team for icetime, #2 for PP icetime. If that's good enough for you, I'd like to hear you say it.

The French media bends over and kisses DD's ass at every opportunity. You're right Koivu went through hell because he didn't learn French. The whole language issue is bad enough if you let it influence your decision making as a coach and GM it's just a recipe for disaster and has been for the last 20 years.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
He also has a top 5 winger and another guy who can produce in JvR. I'm not saying Bozak is better or worse, I'm just saying Toronto is in the same boat as us with not having an actual top line centre playing in that spot.

If DD had 22 points in 23 games and a 57% faceoff percentage like Bozak does then this discussion....well it wouldn't be over but it would be on hold right now.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If DD had 22 points in 23 games and a 57% faceoff percentage like Bozak does then this discussion....well it wouldn't be over but it would be on hold right now.

Fair enough. Desharnais is in the 65-80 range for centremen then.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
7rrjARf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad