Waived: Scott Darling & Valentin Zykov

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
please point out when LA has made a similar move?
In terms of bonehead moves, Pearson for Hagelin wasn’t the greatest, I get it buys them an extra year for Hagelin, but where they are in the standings, they should be getting futures instead of 30 year old wingers

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
With Nylander’s deadline coming up it does raise some interesting questions for the timing. Soshnikov on the same day. Everyone likely talked to each other about these guys with no deal so it has the look of clearing some roster space. Maybe just making sure they can do something if the moment arises.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Is Zykov even any good?

He looked decent playing with Sebastian Aho for ~20 games last year. But Foegele making the team; Rod's intransigence about his line combos, which guarentee Martinhook the lw spot to Svechnikov, and the 3rd line being a clusterf*** because Necas wasn't ready squeezed him out.

Imo, 3rd/4th line wingers who don't produce meaningfully are shifting toward speed guys. Zykov is slow. So i don't know if he'll get claimed at all.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Kings future is already in net Petersen will be very good . Underrated potential like Hellebuyck. Campbell is a serviceable backup and you have Quick. If Quick and Petersen split starts which I think the team should do , Kings make noise maybe this year . No way they claim bender Darling. Zykov I hope makes it to us . I’d rather have Zykov than Clifford on the bottom 6 . But with WD as head coach not sure if that will happen .

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
In terms of bonehead moves, Pearson for Hagelin wasn’t the greatest, I get it buys them an extra year for Hagelin, but where they are in the standings, they should be getting futures instead of 30 year old wingers

1) How is that similar to picking up a player on waivers that has three years left on their deal? That trade they cut salary
2) I agree that I would have rather seen them move Pearson for futures but it did two things. It gives them more cap space next year when Drew's contract click in, and also gave them an asset to be flipped as a rental come the deadline.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Zykov will be claimed by the first team,no?
I think it's very likely Zykov will get claimed but if he doesn't, it wouldn't be the first time for a player everyone on HFBoards absolutely thought would be claimed.

Right or wrong, some teams might wonder why an offensively minded forward on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league is being waived.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I think it's very likely Zykov will get claimed but if he doesn't, it wouldn't be the first time for a player everyone on HFBoards absolutely thought would be claimed.

Right or wrong, some teams might wonder why an offensively minded forward on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league is being waived.

His second year on his contract (a one way deal) could afraid some teams.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Scott Darling gets paid over 4 million dollars???!?? That has to be a typo.

He was supposed to be an elite starting goalie. He isn't the first overpaid disappointment in history.

I wonder if Pryor could work with him in Vegas. He can't be worse than 0-4 Subban as a backup. Expensive backup though.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Waiving a player doesn't mean he's going to be immediately sent down if/when he clears.

I am keenly aware Wingsfan 4 life. The Ducks just did the same thing like a month ago with Ben Street. It is not that common though and is an unnecessary risk to do this with a younger player who still has upside like Zykov. Particularly in light of the high level of interest to claim Zykov shown by fans of many rival teams in this thread, I did not put any disclaimer to address that point in my initial post. The likelihood is that Zykov will either clear and be assigned to the AHL or will be claimed. Furthermore, to waive him but keep him on the roster after clearing would be a move that only really has one benefit: to provide some roster flexibility by being able to assign him to the AHL without needing to clear waivers again (for a month I believe). Doing so would still seem to imply something is up in Carolina, as there is no need to risk losing Zykov to gain that roster flexibility unless another move may be coming.

These moves don't necessarily support the speculation that a Nylander to Carolina trade is in the works, but do support my original point that "something else is up":

Waiving Darling is all that would have needed to happen for Pesce to come back. Waiving Zykov and assuming Pesce comes back puts them at 12 forwards, 8 D, and two goalies. Something else is up.

That could be a different trade, an AHL call-up, a different waiver claim, etc. Given the proximity to the Nylander deadline and some speculation by media figures about Toronto potentially circling back to some of the teams interested, it is fair to point out that these moves may indicate Carolina is up to something with respect to the Nylander situation, which is all I was doing.

Next time please save me the trouble of having to write a lengthy response by assuming I know how waivers work.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
every team have tweeners just like him

IF a team is beaten up then maybe

33 goals in the AHL last year. No chance he doesn’t get claimed. It’ll be the same deal when/if Sprong gets claimed.

No one is giving up big assets for these guys but at the price of a roster spot it makes a lot of sense.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
1) How is that similar to picking up a player on waivers that has three years left on their deal? That trade they cut salary
2) I agree that I would have rather seen them move Pearson for futures but it did two things. It gives them more cap space next year when Drew's contract click in, and also gave them an asset to be flipped as a rental come the deadline.
1.) I’m not saying similar to waivers, I’m saying similar to bonehead moves, such as the Hagelin trade
2.) yes, they get an extra year and save money for Doughty’s deal, but you get a 4 year old winger and there’s no guarantee he gets better as he gets older, plus if you were looking to maximize value, just wait until Pearson got through his slump and trade the winger that is younger and had higher point totals in his career than Hagelin

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Zykov was a Kings prospect and traded to Carolina a few years back.With Kings first in the waiver order,i hope they pick Zykov up.

Reactions: YP44

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I like Darling, he seems like a cool guy, but as a Canes fan I have to say it's the right move. For whatever reason his game never came with him to Carolina. View attachment 159615 The only thing that bums me out is not getting a change to see his Whaler pads in action, they're beauties.
If you aren’t going to stop the puck, you could atleast look good while getting scored on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00