Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
giphy.gif

I used to like HFCanes.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Darling seems like the kind of player that can get his game fixed by a better coach. He has a few fixable issues that have persisted over the past year that as a goalie I've recognized. They may or may not change his overall play, but just seeing for example those little issues like with his blocker positioning when play is along the glovehand side of the net seems like it could be noticed and fixed in a matter of weeks if not days. I think the fact goalies have struggled since Bales got there and perpetually look worse than they have, and the only goalies who've really had success as long time vets Cam Ward and McBackup speaks to the goalie coach of this organization and his lack of aid and development. I'm willing to bet if McBackup does remains the starter he'll be toast come February. Just like Cam Ward was last year or even Luongo this year (different team but similar issue with usage and age). These older goalies can look great over short stretches but they can't handle starters duties, particularly because of the wear and tear that is caused now from the smaller equipment.

Want proof that Bales is garbage? Look at what became of MAF after he left Pittsburgh.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Darling seems like the kind of player that can get his game fixed by a better coach. He has a few fixable issues that have persisted over the past year that as a goalie I've recognized. I think the fact goalies have struggled for years there and perpetually look worse than they have, and the only goalies who've really had success as long time vets Cam Ward and McBackup speaks to the goalie coach of this organization and his lack of aid and development. I'm willing to bet if McBackup does remains the starter he'll be toast come February. Just like Cam Ward was last year or even Luongo this year (different team but similar issue with usage and age). These older goalies can look great over short stretches but they can't handle starters duties, particularly because of the wear and tear that is caused now from the smaller equipment.

You make it sound like we've had one goalie coach throughout that time and that we've had the same goalie coach for awhile. We brought in Mike Bales from Pittsburgh prior to the 2017-2018 season after we dismissed David Marcoux. Generally speaking, here's the chronology of Carolina's goalie coaches and which goalies they worked with from 2005 onwards:

Greg Stefan (2005-2007; 2011-2014): Martin Gerber, Cam Ward, John Grahame, Justin Peters, Mike Murphy, Brian Boucher, Dan Ellis, Anton Khudobin

Tom Barrasso (2007-2011): Cam Ward, John Grahame, Michael Leighton, Justin Peters, Manny Legace

David Marcoux (2014-2017): Cam Ward, Anton Khudobin, Eddie Lack, Alex Nedeljkovic, Jorge Alves, Michael Leighton

Mike Bales (2017-present): Cam Ward, Scott Darling, Petr Mrazek, Curtis McElhinney

I've thrown every name in there, including emergency call-ups like Nedeljkovic and Alves as an EBUG, but yeah, it's hardly been the same coach for several years as you seem to think. I'll throw Marcoux under the bus for Khudobin (who took a step backwards after Greg Stefan left) and for Lack (although Lack's play after he left Carolina hasn't been inspiring either), but that's not exactly a great roster to work with, especially behind the porous defense the Canes had through a good bit of that stretch.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Mcelhinney is the man, hoping he becomes the full time starter for you guys and you reach the playoffs with him.

I think age has turned him into a poised and well positioned goalie and after serving years as back up, he should have enough juice to play the most games out of your goalies

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You make it sound like we've had one goalie coach throughout that time and that we've had the same goalie coach for awhile. We brought in Mike Bales from Pittsburgh prior to the 2017-2018 season after we dismissed David Marcoux. Generally speaking, here's the chronology of Carolina's goalie coaches and which goalies they worked with from 2005 onwards:

Greg Stefan (2005-2007; 2011-2014): Martin Gerber, Cam Ward, John Grahame, Justin Peters, Mike Murphy, Brian Boucher, Dan Ellis, Anton Khudobin

Tom Barrasso (2007-2011): Cam Ward, John Grahame, Michael Leighton, Justin Peters, Manny Legace

David Marcoux (2014-2017): Cam Ward, Anton Khudobin, Eddie Lack, Alex Nedeljkovic, Jorge Alves, Michael Leighton

Mike Bales (2017-present): Cam Ward, Scott Darling, Petr Mrazek, Curtis McElhinney

I've thrown every name in there, including emergency call-ups like Nedeljkovic and Alves as an EBUG, but yeah, it's hardly been the same coach for several years as you seem to think. I'll throw Marcoux under the bus for Khudobin (who took a step backwards after Greg Stefan left) and for Lack (although Lack's play after he left Carolina hasn't been inspiring either), but that's not exactly a great roster to work with, especially behind the porous defense the Canes had through a good bit of that stretch.

I'm also looking at it holistically. He's been in charge of development over that span too. Nedeljkovic and Helvig look terrible after his insertion into the coaching staff, and Booth looks marginal. He's a terrible goalie coach. He's the Marty Raymond of goalie coaches.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Kings future is already in net Petersen will be very good . Underrated potential like Hellebuyck. Campbell is a serviceable backup and you have Quick. If Quick and Petersen split starts which I think the team should do , Kings make noise maybe this year . No way they claim bender Darling. Zykov I hope makes it to us . I’d rather have Zykov than Clifford on the bottom 6 . But with WD as head coach not sure if that will happen .
You don't know how important a miniscus is to a goalie or how long it takes to recover from that eh? If quick is back in April for the last 10 games, I'll be impressed.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This is why maybeeeeeeeeeeee you don't sign goalies that have a 75 game sample size over three seasons. Oh and playing on a power house team that averaged almost 50 wins a season would definitely inflate those numbers of his.
To be fair, didn't Toronto, Edmonton, Arizona, and San Jose do it as well? And they all had success because of it (though Edmonton's goalie fell off a cliff)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You mean when LA got Biship and a 5th for Budaj Cernak and a 7th. They moved up in the draft and then flipped Bishop's rights for a 4th. Hardly a bonehead trade.

I didn't call it one. I was referring to the circumstances, which I assumed that you were, since it wouldn't make sense to ask when LA has ever made a bonehead move.

Last edited:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Kings should also pick up Darling. Ranford and crew run a goalie rescue shelter. They take broken goalies in, give them love, and find good homes for them by the trade deadline - all in return for donations (i.e. draft picks). So nice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For what it's worth, a beat writer for the Penguins said this today:

Steven: Any chance the Penguins put in a claim for Zykov who just went on waivers? I recall you saying they'd previously expressed an interest.
Jason Mackey: Yeah, I think there's a very good chance, Steven. They were discussing him as an option a couple weeks back. It'll be interesting to see what they do, but I definitely think it's gonna get talked about.

I think it means that Zykov won't get to the 2nd half of the league, since the Penguins are 13th in the waiver list I believe.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Man its been a long time since I thought about that, that feed was such a waste of time but fun to watch when bored at work.

Did you happen to catch after that feed had to be shut down due to violence, he moved a flag with that slogan to like the middle of the desert and restarted the feed and within 24 hours the Chans triangulated contrails from passing jetliners to track it down and confiscate it? Then changed the hashtag to #HeWillNutInsideUs

These are legendary days we are living in.

Reactions: SabresSharks

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Did you happen to catch after that feed had to be shut down due to violence, he moved a flag with that slogan to like the middle of the desert and restarted the feed and within 24 hours the Chans triangulated contrails from passing jetliners to track it down and confiscate it? Then changed the hashtag to #HeWillNutInsideUs

These are legendary days we are living in.
haha, i knew of everything you mentioned except for the #hewillnutinsideus

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Dude no. That guy was totally right. Darling will be awesome with the right coach....

Someone should absolutely try that theory out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver has to be in on Zykov if they get the chance. Would really help get Horvat a potential winger with Baertschi still injured. I could see LA picking him up as well though since they are first in the order and it would give Willie another Russian to play on the 4th line with Kovalchuck.

Yeah. You'd think Vancouver has some room to at least see if Zykov can get the scoring touch going again. Could use a winger who can score...and if he can't, he goes back on waivers, no harm, no foul. Not a lot of risk to giving it a shot. If he makes it to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad