Post-Game Talk (GBU): Scoring Explosion in San Jose, Sabres net 2!

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I don't know about petty points but Nolan is just not an NHL calibre coach. I might be the only guy here who thinks Rolston got a raw deal. I think Mr. Garden Gloves would have probably been a better development coach.

I'd like Sabres to bring in a coach known for working with young players who has hockey strategy up his sleeve.
Nolan is an old school go get em type of guy. Best thing among about might be he's demanding more fitness from players.

I think and thought the same about RonRol and Nolan. I am A proponent for the Sabres to do this:

1.Get a, like you said, development-specialized sort of coach to really get our top guys and developing hopeful regulars and stars in legit shape.
2.Have an at least GOOD or better "X's and O's" guy next to the development coach that will handle a lot of offensive strategy and special teams, mainly in the O-zone.
3.Get a Nolan-like "Go get 'em" and conditioning oriented guy there to keep them in shape and battle lusting.
I have yet to see if I want a strict defensive coach or not. Obviously all these guys need to communicate. And yes, you all might tell me this is how it goes and sure does or should, but it's a lot harder to get this group of coaches together on a single team that'd work so well together. But we need developmental coaches a lot right now.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't know about petty points but Nolan is just not an NHL calibre coach. I might be the only guy here who thinks Rolston got a raw deal. I think Mr. Garden Gloves would have probably been a better development coach.

I'd like Sabres to bring in a coach known for working with young players who has hockey strategy up his sleeve. Nolan is an old school go get em type of guy. Best thing among about might be he's demanding more fitness from players.

I didn't like Rolston at all, though I'm not sure Nolan was a very good decision either. At least Myers has done very well under Nolan (which is more than can be said for Rolston). Nobody else really has, but I'm not sure whether that can be blamed on coaching, or if that's just a product of our roster being what it is.

Fabi

Jul 8, 2013
Good:

Myers
Gorges
Weber (pretty good plays in the defensive-zone/good passes. He and pysyk would be a great 3rd pairing in the future)
The 4th line and Reinharts thirst point!
Meszaros with his shots
I love it when ennis uses his speed and agility. if he is able to make a real good pass to the tape of somebody in front oft or near the net too, he will end up with more than 50 points every season.
Neuvirth

Bad:
Not so much

Ugly
Somtimes Hodgson

"Must - trade - guy of the week"

Hodgson

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
GGM (I don't know why everyone is talking about shutdown line. I think out of every combination Girgs and Torrey + (Gionta, Stewart, Staff) That line with Gionta creates more offense than with other two.
They don't really create any meaningful chances. What they do is control the puck in the offensive zone. There's a difference between creating offense and controlling/fighting for the puck along the boards with the odd Girg's backhanded shot from a poor position.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Are they? Because I only recall Girgs centering Foligno and Stewart one game this year and that looked pretty good.
Girgs and Foligno have 0 chemistry between them. They're awful together. I've noticed that since the last season, they just don't click together. Earlier this season they bumped into each other on a 2-on-1 rush.

As for Stewart, I don't think adding a 3rd pair of stone hands improves the situation in any way. :)

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Girgs and Foligno have 0 chemistry between them. They're awful together. I've noticed that since the last season, they just don't click together. Earlier this season they bumped into each other on a 2-on-1 rush.

As for Stewart, I don't think adding a 3rd pair of stone hands improves the situation in any way. :)

Alright then. :)

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

I'd like Sabres to bring in a coach known for working with young players who has hockey strategy up his sleeve. Nolan is an old school go get em type of guy. Best thing among about might be he's demanding more fitness from players.

I agree and disagree. Rolston as a developmental coach did get a bad deal, most of his resume was working with players under age 20. He had been brought in for the Amerks to do just that. So circumstances change and suddenly he has a roster littered with vets who may not have been enthusiastic about being a Sabre or listening to Rolston.

The Sabres should not be developing anyone in the NHL. Refine, fine tune, sure, but the players should be NHL ready before they get here. Let Nolan yell and motivate, but don't make him babysit the kids like Samson & Zad who would be better off in juniors.

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
IMHO, if Reinhart stays up the entire season, he will be one of Buffalo's top 5 players by season end. Will see if my prediction plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad