Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have not seen a second of boba fett, so I may be talking out of my ass... But this was like an Uber side character in Star wars with literally zero personality or anything to gravitate to. No clue the obsession with this character over the years or why anyone would care about his back story. He had a cool costume I guess

Much of it had to do with the action figure. I had to collect six (or eight) proofs of purchase from other figures and mail them in to get Boba Fett. It took six weeks and arrived on a Saturday in a plain brown cardboard box. But the other part is the mystery - he barely did anything and the costume was cool, like you said, but that left you wanting more. I'm still left wanting more after this series, but we'll see if it ever goes anywhere.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Much of it had to do with the action figure. I had to collect six (or eight) proofs of purchase from other figures and mail them in to get Boba Fett. It took six weeks and arrived on a Saturday in a plain brown cardboard box. But the other part is the mystery - he barely did anything and the costume was cool, like you said, but that left you wanting more. I'm still left wanting more after this series, but we'll see if it ever goes anywhere.

For me, some things are best left unspoken. Leave a little mystery. :)

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

I'm just waiting for a new Wicket series. Then we'll really be cooking with gas.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
lol Boba Fett the character is a joke (and so is the show)! In the original movies he has a couple of minutes of screen time and doesn't really do anything. He ends up dead (pre-retcon) by an silly accident. He dies in a gag, literally kicking and screaming! Then in the prequels we find out that he is one of the clones. The clones they made stormtroopers of. Stormtroopers who are bumbling idiots.

Boba Fett is a joke and George Lucas laughted all the way to the bank because of it.

The show is okay. Mando season 1 was much better.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
lol Boba Fett the character is a joke (and so is the show)! In the original movies he has a couple of minutes of screen time and doesn't really do anything. He ends up dead (pre-retcon) by an silly accident. He dies in a gag, literally kicking and screaming! Then in the prequels we find out that he is one of the clones. The clones they made stormtroopers of. Stormtroopers who are bumbling idiots.

Boba Fett is a joke and George Lucas laughted all the way to the bank because of it.

The show is okay. Mando season 1 was much better.

Those Stormtroopers in the old trilogy weren't likely clones, though. They were recruited men & women. And Boba was unaltered anyway. Plus, the Clone Wars series showed how badass the clones are/were. So that part I have to say isn't fair to Boba.

I'm not arguing with the silly accident death - because it's true. It was a dumb death and he's a character that wasn't meant to be fleshed out, but years of Boba Fett in novels shows that he's a cool character to explore further and people are drawn to his vibe. BOBF is definitely twisting that vibe - I can't decide if I like it or not - but I think it's fine to explore lesser known characters more in-depth.

Boba Fett is the origin of any Mandalorian you care about as a fan, including Din Djarin, so I don't get why there's such anger toward this guy/this show...the Star Wars fan base is showing its volatility with this one, IMO. Reminds me of when people were doing "That's not my Luke Skywalker" stuff in response to The Last Jedi.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Those Stormtroopers in the old trilogy weren't likely clones, though. They were recruited men & women. And Boba was unaltered anyway. Plus, the Clone Wars series showed how badass the clones are/were. So that part I have to say isn't fair to Boba.

I'm not arguing with the silly accident death - because it's true. It was a dumb death and he's a character that wasn't meant to be fleshed out, but years of Boba Fett in novels shows that he's a cool character to explore further and people are drawn to his vibe. BOBF is definitely twisting that vibe - I can't decide if I like it or not - but I think it's fine to explore lesser known characters more in-depth.

Boba Fett is the origin of any Mandalorian you care about as a fan, including Din Djarin, so I don't get why there's such anger toward this guy/this show...the Star Wars fan base is showing its volatility with this one, IMO. Reminds me of when people were doing "That's not my Luke Skywalker" stuff in response to The Last Jedi.

I understand this sentiment, but I kind of think Boba has been overhyped by all the EU stuff. He has his place in the narrative of the original trilogy and then turns into a gag. And that's all fine. He did his job.

BOBF too has had some silly moments, so it might be that the showrunners are also in on the joke. They probably will end up making him a bad ass hero the people want. If only to sell the toys. Who knows...

I do love Boba Fett (Slave 1 Firespray Gunship)in the X-Wing miniatures game though. He's a real bad ass in that. :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
531B20C5-05EF-40A7-8257-7F91206ED962.jpeg

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
BOBF episode 6

more like book of cameos

also starting to really dislike the jedi

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Defect

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
BOBF episode 6

more like book of cameos

also starting to really dislike the jedi
Meh. It’s essentially the same thing that Yoda told Luke before going to “save” Han and Leia. Grogu likely will take the armor and leave and help save the day with the battle against the Syndicate before eventually returning to Luke to finish his training.

If not, at least they’re starting hypocritical Luke early.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Can’t say enough how much I loved Episode 6 of TBOBF

• Love Cad Bane in the show - saw it coming, but you never know when/if it comes. Bummed his hat isn't bigger.
  • Luke's CGI is way better than the first time. Grogu is still the most adorable thing in the world.
  • Awesome to know Luke kept Yoda's lightsaber...the ultimatum is sadly needed even if it makes me sad for Grogu and Din.
  • Weird that Ahsoka chilled until Din left, but I suppose that was part fan service, part setting up her own show that airs later
  • Boba Fett being absent doesn't bother me too much since it's a direct spinoff of The Mandalorian, BUT I do want to see better from him this last episode - or he just dies. I'm good with either as long as it makes sense and leaves more story for Din/others
Luke probably doesn't know that Tarre Viszla and the Darksaber exists, I'm guessing. I know it's just a general Jedi thing to stay away from attachment, but that's clearly nuts for Luke to say considering all he did. I assumed he'd be more new-wave about this whole thing, but I suppose not.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You know, with another episode of The Book of Boba Fett gone by, I found a tweet that sums up my thoughts on the show with 1 episode left - and maybe it'll echo with some other folks:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I hate to be presumptuous about anyone's age, but maybe Boba is one of those things you had to grow up with to appreciate as much. Like to Gen X, this was the guy who caught Han and put him out of the story for awhile. A mystery but a capable villain, as was said above but obviously anointed by the creators of the setting as the best there is at what he does. When you're seeing this at age 10, that shit sticks with you.

I also think a lot of the EU stuff that expanded on this guy was worthwhile. We pretty much demanded it.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I hate to be presumptuous about anyone's age, but maybe Boba is one of those things you had to grow up with to appreciate as much. Like to Gen X, this was the guy who caught Han and put him out of the story for awhile. A mystery but a capable villain, as was said above but obviously anointed by the creators of the setting as the best there is at what he does. When you're seeing this at age 10, that shit sticks with you.

I also think a lot of the EU stuff that expanded on this guy was worthwhile. We pretty much demanded it.

I'm 44, literally the oldest memory I have is I remember being like 3 years old in a movie theater and watching Empire Strikes Back, my brother sleeping in his seat (he's a year younger than me). So I was huge Star Wars fan and grew up on it, had tons of Star Wars toys. My favorites were those Star Wars miniatures and I had a lot of the Empire Strikes Back stuff. The hoth monster that Luke chopped the arm off of was prob the biggest out of all the miniature figures I had.

Did I think Boba Fett's look was cool? Sure. I have *NEVER* liked his resurrection in the old Star Wars novels/comics that they decided to keep. When I first found out about it was probably when I was in high school and first read some Star Wars novels and found out Boba Fett was alive in it.

As I said before when you break the character down he wasn't really that impressive. The most 'impressive' thing he does in Empire Strikes Back is manage to stay hidden and wait for the Falcon to leave and follow him. The actual 'capture' of Han Solo? He doesn't pull that off on his own. After he tracks them to Cloud City he contacts the Imperials and they show-up and THAT is how he gets Han Solo turned over to him.

They show up to bust Han out in ROTJ and he gets knocked into the Sarlac Pit and becomes a snack for it. That's the BOBA FETT story.

A show's viewers reception/feedback shouldn't live or die based on needing to have the viewer have some kind of 4 decade long obsession with a childhood nostalgia for a bit character.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

• Love Cad Bane in the show - saw it coming, but you never know when/if it comes. Bummed his hat isn't bigger.
  • Luke's CGI is way better than the first time. Grogu is still the most adorable thing in the world.
  • Awesome to know Luke kept Yoda's lightsaber...the ultimatum is sadly needed even if it makes me sad for Grogu and Din.
  • Weird that Ahsoka chilled until Din left, but I suppose that was part fan service, part setting up her own show that airs later
  • Boba Fett being absent doesn't bother me too much since it's a direct spinoff of The Mandalorian, BUT I do want to see better from him this last episode - or he just dies. I'm good with either as long as it makes sense and leaves more story for Din/others
Luke probably doesn't know that Tarre Viszla and the Darksaber exists, I'm guessing. I know it's just a general Jedi thing to stay away from attachment, but that's clearly nuts for Luke to say considering all he did. I assumed he'd be more new-wave about this whole thing, but I suppose not.

All of this

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Regarding Luke and the Darksaber I think we have a couple realistic scenarios in this last episode... some combination of below.

Grogu chooses the armor and...

1) Luke goes hardass and kicks him out and either leaves him on his own or takes him to Din and company right in time to save the day. That leads to Grogu eventually returning to Luke to finish his training.

2) He chooses the Lightsaber showing that he’s ready to let go and Luke gives him both anyway. Luke or Grogu have a vision that Din is in trouble ala ESB. So they go to save the day.

Luke bringing Grogu to Din while a battle takes place shows Luke that he has the Darksaber which opens up another story path. Yes, the Jedi and Mandalorians fought but with all the conversation about Mando fighting the blade maybe Luke trains Mando to wield the Darksaber?

Just makes sense for Grogu to have the armor for when Kylo/Ben kill everyone if he’s to survive.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Having watched ep 6
Luke's "choice" doesn't really seem that important especially given the long-life of Grogu's species. We saw that Leia apparently at some point went through training with Luke even to the point of having a lightsaber and even after giving up the continuance of Jedi training she kept her connection to the the force since that's still there. Grogu's prob not even a teenager in his species lifespan.

I felt like the CGI Luke was better, but something about the audio seemed off a bit.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Regarding Luke and the Darksaber I think we have a couple realistic scenarios in this last episode... some combination of below.

Grogu chooses the armor and...

1) Luke goes hardass and kicks him out and either leaves him on his own or takes him to Din and company right in time to save the day. That leads to Grogu eventually returning to Luke to finish his training.

2) He chooses the Lightsaber showing that he’s ready to let go and Luke gives him both anyway. Luke or Grogu have a vision that Din is in trouble ala ESB. So they go to save the day.

Luke bringing Grogu to Din while a battle takes place shows Luke that he has the Darksaber which opens up another story path. Yes, the Jedi and Mandalorians fought but with all the conversation about Mando fighting the blade maybe Luke trains Mando to wield the Darksaber?

Just makes sense for Grogu to have the armor for when Kylo/Ben kill everyone if he’s to survive.

I love scenario 2. Perhaps that is what Ahsoka is referring to when she says (paraphrasing) "Go with how you feel" as to what to do about Grogu and his training. Now, it could simply just be her saying "You've never been a master to a kid before, so here's your first test" - or it could be her acknowledging that he has to treat this Grogu situation differently than a traditional Jedi would have.

I hope it's scenario 2 and they give me all the fan service possible, giving a Darksaber sparring match with Luke and Grogu carrying Yoda's lightsaber. (sidenote: I'm pumped for that because it likely means they'll re-release Yoda's lightsaber as a Black Series replica and that's one I haven't been able to get my hands on!)

Reactions: Rebels57

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I love scenario 2. Perhaps that is what Ahsoka is referring to when she says (paraphrasing) "Go with how you feel" as to what to do about Grogu and his training. Now, it could simply just be her saying "You've never been a master to a kid before, so here's your first test" - or it could be her acknowledging that he has to treat this Grogu situation differently than a traditional Jedi would have.

I hope it's scenario 2 and they give me all the fan service possible, giving a Darksaber sparring match with Luke and Grogu carrying Yoda's lightsaber. (sidenote: I'm pumped for that because it likely means they'll re-release Yoda's lightsaber as a Black Series replica and that's one I haven't been able to get my hands on!)
I was actually going to include in my post that he would take the lightsaber because of merchandise reasons, haha.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Timmy Elephants RULES, now and always.

Mando's new ship is cool.

The special effects in parts of this are shit. The speeder in "A New Hope" moved more realistically.

Ahsoka rules.

The technical stuff with "Luke" (especially the voice dubbing) is pretty distracting - can't decide if I think it's worth it.

Great to see Cad Bane, but if Elephants doesn't survive, we riot.

Imagine the Cantina on Tatooine being your least favorite "Star Wars" thing ever and having to watch its offspring in this. Hopefully that daytime nightclub cantina was blown to f***ing smithereens.

All in all it's better since it became "The Book of Mando: Season 2.5"

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Meh. It’s essentially the same thing that Yoda told Luke before going to “save” Han and Leia. Grogu likely will take the armor and leave and help save the day with the battle against the Syndicate before eventually returning to Luke to finish his training.

If not, at least they’re starting hypocritical Luke early.

"It will take you a long time to master the Force. It only took me a weekend in the rainforest with your grandpa, but it will take you forever."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Timmy Elephants RULES, now and always.

Mando's new ship is cool.

The special effects in parts of this are shit. The speeder in "A New Hope" moved more realistically.

Ahsoka rules.

The technical stuff with "Luke" (especially the voice dubbing) is pretty distracting - can't decide if I think it's worth it.

Great to see Cad Bane, but if Elephants doesn't survive, we riot.

Imagine the Cantina on Tatooine being your least favorite "Star Wars" thing ever and having to watch its offspring in this. Hopefully that daytime nightclub cantina was blown to f***ing smithereens.

All in all it's better since it became "The Book of Mando: Season 2.5"

His face looked f***ing amazing. To me, easily the most realistic CGI face I have ever seen on screen. The voice was just a little wonky at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad