Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
7fo4bIa.gif

Last edited:

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This deal sounds like a last chance for Schultz. 1 year deal, the Oilers have a large group of D-Men to choose from it looks like if Schultz doesn't show some improvement this season he'll probably be traded or drop to free agency next year. D-men do take a while to develop but Schultz is being paid way to much for what he produces. I think the Oilers are tired of waiting for the strong D-Man they hoped they would get. I hope he can step it up in the 2016 season.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I never got the impression that petry was shy of being hit. Most of the time his turnovers had more to do with poor puck support.

Couple years ago there was one infamous GDT. Petry was being roasted as usual here for a GA after a turnover. I broke the play down and cited how the complaints were ridiculous. Petry on the play had no one to pass to. Not even a D partner. Petry beat two defenders before finally being stopped on the boards. He had no options on the play.

I'm not a huge fan of Petry but the Oil were better with him than without him for sure. I like what he could bring to the table and he showed more of that in last half of last season but showed it at other times as well. I do think there was a sufficient portion of grit in his game. Would have liked to have seen more but he exhibited it.

I was going to comment on your focus on the need for snarl, but I think you addressed my concerns here. A dman doesn't need to be Pronger or Weber scary to be a good dman. They do, however, have to have some sense of toughness and a commitment to defence. The latter is my serious problem with Schultz. I don't have issue with a dman who doesn't like to lay out big hits or grind it out along the boards... but you've gotta find other ways to get it done to make up for it. Whether that's stripping the puck, effective gap control, extra hustle when coming back... You need SOMETHING. Schultz seems to always just give up as soon as it's in our zone. That's my problem with him, defensively.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He's been a massive failure to date, and to think he gets another year to "prove" himself at that price point is somewhere between nauseating and vomit inducing for me. But that has more to do with the economics of sport and societal values than Justin himself. "Earned," is a pretty heavy word, and imho he has not earned much to date, let alone that amount.

that, and perhaps blame falls on the Oilers themselves. The way they pumped his tires; they were they fed him ice time and sugar time, he accidently got 30 points. Hell, Brad Hunt would have given you 30 points with the same treatment.

there's a question. Who's better, Schultz or Hunt?

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Yeah he's soft, but I blame the organization more for how they use him. Jultz is just not number 1 or 2 D material. It's partly his fault but not even mostly his fault. Everyone knew they shouldn't have been playing him that much, everyone apparently expect MacT and Ikinzom.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yeah he's soft, but I blame the organization more for how they use him. Jultz is just not number 1 or 2 D material. It's partly his fault but not even mostly his fault. Everyone knew they shouldn't have been playing him that much, everyone apparently expect MacT and Ikinzom.

yeah, I would probably concur with that. I think they were bound and determined to force feed him into a top pairing defence at warp speed. It just didn't work because he isn't a top 2 D. Now, they're forced to overpay him because it is worth waiting him out for at least another year.

Sigh. Just another bad move.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Awareness is the first step. Looks like Justin has taken that step...

http://oilersnation.com/2015/7/22/schultz-looking-to-improve

Gregor: What do you need to improve?

Justin Schultz: On the ice, just being better defensively. Obviously, I have to clean that part of my game up; it’s something that I’ve needed to improve on for a while now. So [I’m] doing that now and I think that it’s going to come with a good off season. I’m getting stronger, more powerful and hopefully that will help me.

Gregor: How will more power and strength help you defensively?

Schultz: Dealing with the guys in front of the net or in the corners. Not letting them get to the front of the net, and then in turn get the puck back and then we will be able to go on offense.

Gregor: What specifically are you working on to get stronger? Are you doing Olympic lifts?

Schultz: Yeah, we’re doing a lot of Olympic lifts, obviously a lot of weight training for me and then the speed stuff, getting more powerful, more explosive quickness. That will all help me improve this year. I need be more powerful in my lower body.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Awareness is the first step. Looks like Justin has taken that step...

http://oilersnation.com/2015/7/22/schultz-looking-to-improve

That's quite encouraging to be honest. We'll see if it translates to on-ice performance, but strength is one of those things if you don't have it ... as a d-man you can get exposed pretty easily (throw in a crappy defensive system and sprinkle in some inexperience and voila).

At 6'2, he should be 200+ pounds to play D in the Western Conference, last year he was well short of that (188).

Duncan Keith is 6'1, 197, Doughty is 6'1 213 (!), Giordano is 6'0 and 200 even, Seabrook is 6'3 and 220, Weber is 6'4 and 232, Ryan Suter is 6'1 and 200 pounds.

Last edited:

Floyd McJiveson

Nov 27, 2013
See how he doesn't commit to chewing on one side of his mouth? Kind of like his lack of commitment to playing defence.

Pretty bizarre analogy. I know what you mean. But, I think he knows what he has to do. He was just incapable of over muscling the forwards in the west. The jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned. Unless you don't believe people can change. Pessimism can be contagious.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty bizarre analogy. I know what you mean. But, I think he knows what he has to do. He was just incapable of over muscling the forwards in the west. The jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned. Unless you don't believe people can change. Pessimism can be contagious.

Was just joking around ;)

I'm hoping with proper coaching and a new attitude he can turn his game around too. This is his make or break season imo.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Was just joking around ;)

I'm hoping with proper coaching and a new attitude he can turn his game around too. This is his make or break season imo.

I assume you're talking about his chewing game? He MIGHT be able to turn that around... with proper coaching...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
See how he doesn't commit to chewing on one side of his mouth? Kind of like his lack of commitment to playing defence.

one dimensional chewer ... this guy is getting nowhere..

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can say all he wants. Do weight lifting means nothing if he isn't giving the full effort. I'll wait until we see him play against NHLers again before giving him credit for doing what he should've done years ago.

Of course.
Not sure why you think I am giving him credit for anything. :dunno:

All I am saying is that change never happens without awareness. No awareness...no change.

Justin is clearly aware. Thats a needed first step. Now we see if he follows through.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's quite encouraging to be honest. We'll see if it translates to on-ice performance, but strength is one of those things if you don't have it ... as a d-man you can get exposed pretty easily (throw in a crappy defensive system and sprinkle in some inexperience and voila).

At 6'2, he should be 200+ pounds to play D in the Western Conference, last year he was well short of that (188).

Duncan Keith is 6'1, 197, Doughty is 6'1 213 (!), Giordano is 6'0 and 200 even, Seabrook is 6'3 and 220, Weber is 6'4 and 232, Ryan Suter is 6'1 and 200 pounds.

Completely agree....tt is encouraging. That said if he doesn't follow through he has to know that his time in the NHL is limited.

It is intriguing to consider the player he can be is he plays at 200+ lbs and with added strength and intensity.
If he succeeds and can be the player he needs to be it changes the defence in a big way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lack of strength and quickness was not his main issue... It was lack of heart.
With a clean(ish) slate hopefully that recharges... Strength and speed will mean jack all if back checks like a player playing shinny..

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Completely agree....tt is encouraging. That said if he doesn't follow through he has to know that his time in the NHL is limited.

It is intriguing to consider the player he can be is he plays at 200+ lbs and with added strength and intensity.
If he succeeds and can be the player he needs to be it changes the defence in a big way.

Why? You see a 200+ lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively as being much different than a 188 lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lack of strength and quickness was not his main issue... It was lack of heart.
With a clean(ish) slate hopefully that recharges... Strength and speed will mean jack all if back checks like a player playing shinny..

I agree, decision making, a lack of compete and a lack of strength were his biggest issues. That said maybe if he can compete physically with added strength that part of his game will change? That's the hope anyway.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why? You see a 200+ lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively as being much different than a 188 lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively?

Of course.

I have been posting (endlessly it must seem to some :D) that Schultz would dramatically impact this defence if he could simply be average defensively.
I see the added weight, strength and intensity as elements (along with proper coaching) which should help Schultz achieve that.

Does that sound reasonable?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad