Confirmed with Link: Schultz signs 1yr/3.9M

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Why? You see a 200+ lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively as being much different than a 188 lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively?

At the very least, he will have coaches on the bench giving him heck that actually know what they're talking about. They can give him black and white explanations of what he did wrong and what he should have done and that can be hammered home further during practice. No more Eakins and his gimmicky coaching designed to game corsi %'s that doesn't actually translate to success in the NHL.

Schultz has badly needed good guidance these last 2 years from coaches and got none for 1.5 of those years. Last season, it was probably too late in the year to really drill anything into his head under Nelson. No more excuses this year. If Schultz is still playing heartless and brain-dead in our zone by the middle of this season it means he's not listening to good advice he's being given and it is time to part ways.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why? You see a 200+ lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively as being much different than a 188 lb Schultz turning over the puck or being out of position defensively?

One of the reasons he gets caught out of position is because he doesn't go into the tough areas. A bit of size might allow him to play a better positionaly sound game. That and instead of trying that stick check crap in the corners all the time, maybe he uses his body thus getting the puck quicker.

As for turnovers, he'll always turn the puck over. That's what offensive guys do, the key is being able to react better and hopefully being able to make up for those mistakes.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
One of the reasons he gets caught out of position is because he doesn't go into the tough areas. A bit of size might allow him to play a better positionaly sound game. That and instead of trying that stick check crap in the corners all the time, maybe he uses his body thus getting the puck quicker.

I have absolutely no faith, none, that twelve pounds is going to give Schultz grit or courage in battling in the corners.

Coach Maclellan however is a different story, but then the coach is the new saviour for these flawed players. If Maclellan can cure Schultz - why not bring back Gagner as well?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
12 pounds would be a massive gain in just one summer. If he comes in 12 pounds heavier I'd be legitimately impressed.

No it's doesn't check off every one of his problems, but 12 pounds of added muscle does legitimately make one stronger and shows at least a commitment to work very hard.

The way I see it if Schultz is still spinning his tires by Christmas/New Years, still making the same mistakes and being soft on the puck ... then he's gone. Simple as that. They will call up Nurse or Reinhart and use Schultz's cap hit elsewhere next summer. Done and done.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have absolutely no faith, none, that twelve pounds is going to give Schultz grit or courage in battling in the corners.

Coach Maclellan however is a different story, but then the coach is the new saviour for these flawed players. If Maclellan can cure Schultz - why not bring back Gagner as well?

Gagner has 360 games more than Schultz, he is pretty close to he is what he is player. He's also had a chance to work with a good coach and it didn't do anything.

I'm not saying anyone is going to magically become a new player, but there are some positives for Schultz going into this year. If he can't perform he will be dealt or just let go next summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Extra muscle isn't going to give someone heart that they haven't shown before.

12 pounds of added muscle provided that he's actually been training with someone who knows a modicum of what hockey is about ... is a substantial gain in strength.

No it doesn't give you "heart", but it does give you an extra push back in puck/board/net battles for sure.

There's a major difference in gaining 12 pounds of lean(er) muscle versus what the average joe thinks too of "dur hur, I gained 10 pounds on my last vacation, I didn't feel any stronger, I was just fatter".

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
12 pounds of added muscle provided that he's actually been training with someone who knows a modicum of what hockey is about ... is a substantial gain in strength.

No it doesn't give you "heart", but it does give you an extra push back in puck/board/net battles for sure.

There's a major difference in gaining 12 pounds of lean(er) muscle versus what the average joe thinks too of "dur hur, I gained 10 pounds on my last vacation, I didn't feel any stronger, I was just fatter".

Well said.

6'2" 188 lbs is far too light to be an NHL defenceman. Especially in the Western conference. An athlete focusing on gaining weight should be able to put on 12 pounds over a summer.

Would definitely help his game overall.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Being stronger Schultz might actually feel big enough to be effective in puck battles so he might try harder

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Being stronger Schultz might actually feel big enough to be effective in puck battles so he might try harder

Indeed. Confidence matters and added size and strength do play a role in a players confidence when it comes to being effective in the corners and in front of the net.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Indeed. Confidence matters and added size and strength do play a role in a players confidence when it comes to being effective in the corners and in front of the net.

Maybe. Maybe not. We r all talking about what we hope happens. I think Schultz actually giving a s--- would go further than 12 lbs, but that's just me.

I'm with those think he has till Xmas to proves he's worth keeping, and am slightly closer to skeptical that he will.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe. Maybe not. We r all talking about what we hope happens. I think Schultz actually giving a s--- would go further than 12 lbs, but that's just me.

I'm with those think he has till Xmas to proves he's worth keeping, and am slightly closer to skeptical that he will.

I understand the skepticism...based on his play its completely justifiable.
There are however many variables that suggest if Schultz doesn't get this season he may run out of opportunity and not just with the Oilers.
New coach....contract year....humiliation of a terrible last season....I think these are all strong motivating factors.

We shall see how it plays out.

I suspect the current regime will have a much shorter leash than the old regime.

That has to be considered a good thing.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I understand the skepticism...based on his play its completely justifiable.
There are however many variables that suggest if Schultz doesn't get this season he may run out of opportunity and not just with the Oilers.
New coach....contract year....humiliation of a terrible last season....I think these are all strong motivating factors.

We shall see how it plays out.

I suspect the current regime will have a much shorter leash than the old regime.

That has to be considered a good thing.
Humiliation of a terrible season?

Humiliated all the way to the bank.

Hope he does turn it around but it should involve a serious drop in ice time and, like you said, a much shorter leash.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Once Schultz starts to figure out what he can do with that extra muscle, he's going to become a very dangerous hockey player.

As long as his skating doesn't suffer, we could have a very effective defender on our roster.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Humiliation of a terrible season?

Humiliated all the way to the bank.

Hope he does turn it around but it should involve a serious drop in ice time and, like you said, a much shorter leash.

I like to think that any professional player has a certain amount of pride. Hopefully for Schultz that means a little bit of humility when he cashes those Million $ cheques. ;)

We are about to find out exactly what kind of pro he is.

I'm as skeptical as any Oiler fan but, that said, I am hoping for the best possible outcome.

If he manages to turn things around he could be play a major role in solidifying the defence...as in top 4 role.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I like to think that any professional player has a certain amount of pride. Hopefully for Schultz that means a little bit of humility when he cashes those Million $ cheques. ;)

We are about to find out exactly what kind of pro he is.

I'm as skeptical as any Oiler fan but, that said, I am hoping for the best possible outcome.

If he manages to turn things around he could be play a major role in solidifying the defence...as in top 4 role.

Yep. It's a new day. If Scultz (and yak)can turn it around under a real coaching staff it would certainly speed things up.

Hope he's working on a one timer too.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
If by chance he can develop his defense (Jim Johnson work your magic), and keep his offense, we'd be looking really good defensively going forward.

I'd feel a lot better about our core D if he and Reinhart can show what they are capable of this season.

As much as we rag on Schultz, he's got the easier of the two aspects of hockey learned already. I'd love for him to put it all together and be a great asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad