Schroeder and Dalpe not qualified

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Just used the same year that the initial poster used to keep things even. But you can use any given year and the results will be similar. Very rarely do you still see players stick with their club that long now anyways.

oh, i didnt see that. idk, if you start at 2000 we suddenly drop to 1 and they don't (because we were practically the only team to get players in the 1st round, lol)

anyways i guess the ideal way to do it would be to gather a cluster of years/teams, say 2009-2014, and then use a draft year that corresponds to the first wave of free agents (so this year would be 2005, 2013s team would be 2004) and add those up

that would be a lot of work to show that most first round picks dont hang with their team until UFA though

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
I never liked the Schroeder selection even when he was dominating the world juniors.

I got the same feeling when drafted Subban. Only difference he was a 4th round pick.

realist99

May 3, 2010
Just another bust for our scouts.

Any chance Benning replaces most of our scouting staff now?

Scouting staff stays...but their job descriptions have changed. One makes the coffee and the other grabs the sandwiches for lunch. Benning is the head scout now. Linden is too nice to fire his ex buddies.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I thought Dalpe might get another look, but I'm not really surprised to see either of them gone. Another pick bites the dust.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Schroeder just was too soft and didnt have an edge that you need when you're smaller than everyone else. Didnt compete hard enough in the dirty areas of the ice. Its why im rather glad now that we took Virtanen over talented smaller players who could end up like Schroeder in 5 years.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Wow, the track record of this forum's reactions to draft picks is SO bad. Pretty sure Gillis was universally praised for drafting Schroeder, around here.

I'm gonna take the Virtanen/McCann reaction threads with a grain of salt because if we drafted by HF Canucks consensus, we'd have the worst team in the league.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Seems like a waste to me. Neither guy is really what we're looking for as depth, but why not qualify them? Worst case, they get claimed off waivers and they're gone...just as they are if we don't qualify them. Best case? They make it through waivers and you have some good depth for Utica. It's not like the qualifying offer on either would be expensive or anything. :dunno:

Well, the other argument is that if they're not what you want on your roster, you're better off letting them go and finding players who better fit into the team you're trying to build. They have freed up contract spots for other players.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Wow, the track record of this forum's reactions to draft picks is SO bad. Pretty sure Gillis was universally praised for drafting Schroeder, around here.

I'm gonna take the Virtanen/McCann reaction threads with a grain of salt because if we drafted by HF Canucks consensus, we'd have the worst team in the league.

That's not really true. We'd have Kopitar, at the very least!

You can't say the HF consensus would be worse when the Canucks have been terrible themselves at it. A team SHOULD be able to make better selections, but sadly it has not been able to do that.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
That's not really true. We'd have Kopitar, at the very least!

You can't say the HF consensus would be worse when the Canucks have been terrible themselves at it. A team SHOULD be able to make better selections, but sadly it has not been able to do that.
True, Kopitar was one that we all had and actually turned out to be a great player.

There was a thread a little while ago looking at our general mock drafts going back like ~8 years and they were all pretty terrible.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
We have an abundance of NHL-calibre bottom six players which made Dalpe expendable.

Schroeder simply isn't good enough to be an offensive center in the NHL, which is a shame for us, because it would have been perfect timing for him to make the full-time jump with Kesler gone. Again, this shows how important drafting and developing is, and how the Canucks have lacked in that department for a long time now.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
There are plenty of successful smallish players that don't go into the dirty areas. Brendan Gallagher is the exception, not the norm.

How does it make any sense that smaller players need to go into tough areas to be successful when if anything they'll be more likely to be pushed around by bigger players than when they're playing a "perimeter" game like, say, Mike Cammalleri.

He's played less than a single full season with us, the last half of which was wrecked by injuries. Not sure how that's considered "massive" opportunity.

I agree a lot with this, I just don't get the idea of throwing away an asset that was never really given a chance. 56 games, most on the 4th line, a handful on the 3rd line.

He was given the #2 center spot for most of the 12-13 season. He stunk. It was a huge opportunity and he blew it. If you don't step up for a chance like that when you're 23 years old, you probably aren't getting another one.

And yes, smaller guys have to be willing to take the puck to the middle of the ice to generate offense. Schroeder didn't. He played a coward game.

You are remembering things wrong, he played reasonably well when given a chance, here is an article actually talking about maybe moving Kes to wing because of it. The article does state how he was no Kesler, but it more shows he was playing fine.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/2/8/jordan-schroeder-meet-ryan-kesler

Seems like a waste to me. Neither guy is really what we're looking for as depth, but why not qualify them? Worst case, they get claimed off waivers and they're gone...just as they are if we don't qualify them. Best case? They make it through waivers and you have some good depth for Utica. It's not like the qualifying offer on either would be expensive or anything. :dunno:

This as well, again I just don't understand why you would not sign them, are we that close in contracts to the max? What is the worst case scenerio?

Don't be silly, everyone always wanted the player that turned out the best...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Dalpe...I just didn't see the use in spending as asset on a player they weren't going to try and utilize and make something of.

Yeah, that was one area where there seemed to be a major disconnect. I liked Dalpe and thought he showed some promise but wondered why he never got more of a shot in the top 6. And bad luck for JS this year - really thought he would establish himself on the roster but injuries prevented that from happening.

Disappointing they didn't try to retain them, but with new management coming in and a different philosophy... like Ernie said, even just trying to slip them down to the AHL if you don't plan on having them on the roster might have been worth a QO. What's the worst that could happen?

In any case, good luck to them both.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree a lot with this, I just don't get the idea of throwing away an asset that was never really given a chance. 56 games, most on the 4th line, a handful on the 3rd line.

Most in 2012-13 were on the 2nd line with 2nd unit PP time.

Top-6/bust guys don't get 100+ games of non-production before they're written off. They get a run or two, and if they don't take the ball and run with it, there are other guys coming behind them. That's the way it is.

Nothing that Schroeder did at lower levels in the 5 years since he was being drafted indicates that his NHL performance was anything other than what would have been expected. He was disappointing at every level, every year.

racerjoe said:
You are remembering things wrong, he played reasonably well when given a chance, here is an article actually talking about maybe moving Kes to wing because of it. The article does state how he was no Kesler, but it more shows he was playing fine.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/2/8/jordan-schroeder-meet-ryan-kesler

The article won't open for me. But I'm not remembering things wrong.

I've never once seen a young player get called up (excluding goalies) and have the consensus of the fans be that they played poorly. It's almost funny actually, even when they look absolutely terrible as Yann Sauve and Niklas Jensen did in their first few games.

Schroeder was trying hard defensively and improved there, but aside from one great game against Calgary did zilch offensively. Contributed nothing.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

Qualifying him would be a waste of a contract. There's no room for him on Canucks with Bonino, Vey, Richardson & Matthias all ahead of him on the depth chart. There's also no place for him in Utica with Guance, Lain, Fox & a veteran AHLer likely being the 4 centers on the farm.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Qualifying him would be a waste of a contract. There's no room for him on Canucks with Bonino, Vey, Richardson & Matthias all ahead of him on the depth chart. There's also no place for him in Utica with Guance, Lain, Fox & a veteran AHLer likely being the 4 centers on the farm.

Fox will probably play wing, assuming he sticks at AHL level.

Lain is the definition of unskilled forward, I'm hoping he can crack 40 points in a season at AHL level before his 26th Bday.

Gaunce could play wing or centre.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
On the draft day thread I mentioned how JS/Dalpe/50th overall were all considered dead weight.

I was hoping we could flip them for assets as we did for Vey especially for a swap like [BOS/VAN] Caron for JS.

Benning is going a great job slashing away all the random assortment of AHLers/fringe depth.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
No surprise with Schroeder.. He is a little man playing in a big mans world. Some guys work out but most don't

One of those high risk picks that you hope turn out..

I was never a fan of Dalpe. I was never sure what all the hype was about.

Good luck to both of them, I'm sure someone will sign them

probably Toronto or Winnipeg.. they like our sloppy seconds:sarcasm:

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Indeed.

Since 1999:

1st Round Picks drafted by Vancouver currently on the roster:
Niklas Jensen (2011)
Daniel Sedin (1999)
Henrik Sedin (1999)

Traded
Ryan Kesler
Cory Schneider
Cody Hodgson
Michael Grabner
RJ Umberger

Not Retained
Jordan Schroeder

Never Made It
Nathan Smith
Patrick White

Wait and See
Brendan Gaunce
Bo Horvat
Hunter Shinkaruk
Jake Virtanen
Jared McCann

*Luc Bourdon as well.

Are there many teams with just 3 or less drafted first rounders on their roster?

i like to take a moment and remember luc bourdon he would of been a beaut for us.
but ya we should really get better scouts.....benning take notes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad