Proposal: Schneider for Sam bennet

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Politely decline. Bennett's had a rough go with the excellence of Tkachuk and Gaudreau and the coddling of Monahan all working against him, but the minute we trade him is the minute some organization with common sense sees he's a Toews level talent who can lead a team deep. I'd rather hang onto the hope that the Flames realize this themselves than be kicking ourselves for buying into flawed counting stats to make evaluations, as Columbus must be with Karlsson who would be the #1C there as Bennett should be in CGY.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Bennett is nothing special. Schneider may be a huge question mark but still has the realistic possibility of returning to being s bonafide quality starter. Bennett never reached anything higher than a role player and it’s unlikely he will top that.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Politely decline. Bennett's had a rough go with the excellence of Tkachuk and Gaudreau and the coddling of Monahan all working against him, but the minute we trade him is the minute some organization with common sense sees he's a Toews level talent who can lead a team deep. I'd rather hang onto the hope that the Flames realize this themselves than be kicking ourselves for buying into flawed counting stats to make evaluations, as Columbus must be with Karlsson who would be the #1C there as Bennett should be in CGY.

I’m confused. Bennett = Toews and should be #1C in Calgary over “coddled” Monahan?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I really like this trade proposal, and I think it would make both teams better. I'm not a fan of either team, so I'm sure there's some adjusting that would be needed. And there's a chance one team (or both) would decline because of how the trade may look. But it's a pretty solid idea.

Both teams deal something that they can live without, and gain a player that could provide something they're missing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’m confused. Bennett = Toews and should be #1C in Calgary over “coddled” Monahan?

That's a skip for that poster. We do on our board for the most part.

Hot takes over the past 2 seasons:

Bennett Franchise 1C
Jankowski, Selke level 1C
Brett Kulak, high upside 4D
Oliver Kylington, High upside top pair D
Monahan, 3rd liner or winger to top 6.
TJ Brodie, Elite top pairing D
Juuso Valimaki, dangerous mistake prone, should be out of the lineup for Kylington/Kulak
Andersson, 'meh'

I'm sure Flames fans can think of some more. Dude's essentially his own meme on the Flames board, all you need to know.

Reactions: crackdown44

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

What? How has Bennett ever demonstrated that level of talent? Lead a team deep? To what?

I don't knock players when they play for the Flames just because I am an Oiler fan. I try and be objective. This is a crazy evaluation of Bennett. He is 22 and has room to grow, sure. He has not shown, at least to me, anywhere near that kind of "1C" ability in the NHL.

Also the shot at Monahan... I can't agree with you. Coddling? Hasn't Monahan been used against top lines on other teams as a 1C? He's put up three 60+ point seasons. He wears a letter. A team doesn't do that with a coddled player. I don't get why you're so high on Bennett and so down on a quality center like Monahan.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Haha what I don’t know? Bennett is on pace for another season below 30 points as usual lol. Flames fans build him up like he’s still something but he’s a bottom 6 player that hasn’t lived up to expecations. If it quacks like a duck... haha

Looked at points, colour me shocked. Ask anyone who has watched all the flames games this year, he has been one of their best players all season. But yes, your right, he should be putting up 60 points on the third line. If he keeps this play up i have no doubt the points will start coming, but I watch the games, unlike you who watches a stat line.

Reactions: LetsGoFlames

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Schneider doesn't have anywhere near that type of value, failing 32 year old goalies either fade away or get picked up for mid round picks.

I don't think the Flames would have any interest in Schneider.

Especially with that contract.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

giphy.gif

Reactions: Monabae

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's a skip for that poster. We do on our board for the most part.

Hot takes over the past 2 seasons:

Bennett Franchise 1C
Jankowski, Selke level 1C
Brett Kulak, high upside 4D
Oliver Kylington, High upside top pair D
Monahan, 3rd liner or winger to top 6.
TJ Brodie, Elite top pairing D
Juuso Valimaki, dangerous mistake prone, should be out of the lineup for Kylington/Kulak
Andersson, 'meh'

I'm sure Flames fans can think of some more. Dude's essentially his own meme on the Flames board, all you need to know.

You forgot the Bennett to messier comparison

But it's ok, he kinda balances out the idiots that claim Bennett is a bust

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Looked at points, colour me shocked. Ask anyone who has watched all the flames games this year, he has been one of their best players all season. But yes, your right, he should be putting up 60 points on the third line. If he keeps this play up i have no doubt the points will start coming, but I watch the games, unlike you who watches a stat line.

One of their best players all season but on the third line....think you just contradicted yourself. Look Bennett may do better in a sheltered role it doesn’t change the fact that as a top 5 pick he’s been a catastrophe. Flames fans and I guess you can prop him up all they want but facts are facts. If he turns into a servicable player it’s not a complete bust but as a top 5 drafted player as of now it’s not good.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Seriously...are you related to Bennett?

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
One of their best players all season but on the third line....think you just contradicted yourself. Look Bennett may do better in a sheltered role it doesn’t change the fact that as a top 5 pick he’s been a catastrophe. Flames fans and I guess you can prop him up all they want but facts are facts. If he turns into a servicable player it’s not a complete bust but as a top 5 drafted player as of now it’s not good.

As a top 5 pick? no, not good, but the flames don't have to look far with backlund and gio to know some players take longer to develop into great players. You act like he is doing nothing and thats why he is on the third line when the reality is the 2 left wings in front of him are jonny G and matt the weasel. Kinda hard to move up on them.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
As a top 5 pick? no, not good, but the flames don't have to look far with backlund and gio to know some players take longer to develop into great players. You act like he is doing nothing and thats why he is on the third line when the reality is the 2 left wings in front of him are jonny G and matt the weasel. Kinda hard to move up on them.

Here’s the thing though...he wasn’t drafted that high to be a winger he was suppose to be a top notch centre in the league greater than Monahan.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Here’s the thing though...he wasn’t drafted that high to be a winger he was suppose to be a top notch centre in the league greater than Monahan.

That draft was a little odd though. Lots of surefire centre man that haven't truly solidified themselves as bonafide centres and are essentially tracking to be fantastic wingers instead. Part of it is perhaps circumstances though.

- Draisaitl (Generally more dangerous with CMD than as the team's regular 2C)
- Bennett (Can't knock out Gaudreau/Tkachuk as top 6 LW, can't knock out Monahan and Backlund as top 6 C)
- Reinhart (Not really knocking out Eichel and ROR, More dangerous as the RW than 3C? Haven't watched too much Buffalo)
- Nylander (Shown glimpses on C, but not really knocking out Matthews and Tavares as a top 6 C in Toronto, most dangerous so far playing as a winger)

I mean, they've all shown varied successes and failures at C. Most of those guys have been deployed more as wingers so far than truly deployed as centres. I think Larkin is the only one who has truly shown a penchant of playing C in that drafts first round.

For Flames fans, Bennett still shows flashes of his talent. A few years back, certain comparisons to Kessler were thrown around including the slower development path and possible end goal in what we hope for Bennett (plus discussions on what a modern player Gilmour, Bennett's hero and the player he molds his game around, might be like). I think a Kessler lite isn't a bad outcome for Bennett and Backlund could be a very good guy to ensure that he learns the skills necessary to be that type of player. Bennett for sure right now is a bottom 6 forward and for sure will not dip below that, but could still develop into a future top line calibre player. He will not fizzle out in the same way as Yakupov or Gagner due to additional tools at his disposal that are premium tools that coaches and teams value. Thus, he's a useful player, not a bust, but definite disappointment for the position he was picked. However, if the organization continues to be patient with him, I think he could be a useful player for our organization for quite a long time. So... no thanks to moving Bennett unless someone offers something we cannot refuse.

I will say... The amount of posts that Bennett has hit as well as the amount of goals called back... he sure is unlucky. Flames fans aren't delusional in preferring to keep him, and if he's as obvious of a bust as some posters try to make him to be, why the heck would any team bother trying to acquire him?

And... don't take OKG's evaluation seriously. Dude has a passion that is commendable, but he is definitely a homer.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown

Why not just admit your trolling? you clearly are stat watching and not watching him play, even the flames radio play by play guy says Bennett has been easily one of their best players this season, isnt that all that matters, points aside? Yes he had a lot of hype, hell the godking of toronto doug gilmour compared Bennett to himself. But he has still been a very effective player. Do not try and act like the leafs wouldn't have gobbled him up if he fell a few spots.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Why not just admit your trolling? you clearly are stat watching and not watching him play, even the flames radio play by play guy says Bennett has been easily one of their best players this season, isnt that all that matters, points aside? Yes he had a lot of hype, hell the godking of toronto doug gilmour compared Bennett to himself. But he has still been a very effective player. Do not try and act like the leafs wouldn't have gobbled him up if he fell a few spots.

You’re in your own little world, at least the fellow posters can admit he’s been a disappointment so far. You’re in some box that he’s lived up to expecatations....when was that Gilmour comparison 3 years ago? He’s a bottom 6 player at the moment, plain and simple.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
You’re in your own little world, at least the fellow posters can admit he’s been a disappointment so far. You’re in some box that he’s lived up to expecatations....when was that Gilmour comparison 3 years ago? He’s a bottom 6 player at the moment, plain and simple.

Ya....cause I said that he has lived up to expectations right? No, I said I believe comments from people who are paid to watch hockey, who have watched him play over some little internet troll who stat watches, but keep trying, it's not like everyone here hasn't seen your trolling with other Canadian teams, just pathetic.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think it would be a good gamble for CGY. They need better goaltending, and a fresh start just might rejuvenate Schneider's career. When he's on his game he's a great goalie. His contract is fairly prohibitive, however, making it quite a risk. It could turn out great or it could be a disaster.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He's legit been one of Calgary's 5 best forwards. He simply has no where to play outside of 2nd line RW or 3rd line LW (which are pretty similar TOI).
He's not bumping anyone on the LW, and he's not bumping anyone down the middle, he's also not bumping the first line RW who is on fire.

He's been a disappointment in terms of not being a 1st line talent we thought he would, but he's far from let's say a bust. Gulutzan did him no favours; but he's been an entirely different forward for us this year. If he had 10 points right now, I don't think any Flames fan would bat an eye. The guy has 2 disallowed personal goals, 3-4 crossbars and 2 absolute goalie robs that go in 9/10 times. Snakebit is an understatement.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Their stats aren’t identical.

They’re similar, but Zacha’s numbers project better over a full season.

He’s also younger and has a size advantage.

Bennett doesn’t hold much value at this point.

If you can get a goalie like Schneider behind a defense like Calgary has for that price, it’s worth the gamble that Schneider’s health issues and contract pose.
He’s one year younger and their stats are basically are identical. I don’t really care about Zacha’s size advantage, I like Bennett’s game this year. I wouldn’t trade him in a package for an overpaid goalie who can’t stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad