Proposal: Schneider for Sam bennet

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
True, otherwise it wouldn’t even be a discussion.

Of course, but you don't trade for an older goalie that is declining unless the price is low. This isn't really the case.

Pavel Zacha for Mike Smith. That is basically what this is.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Of course, but you don't trade for an older goalie that is declining unless the price is low. This isn't really the case.

Pavel Zacha for Mike Smith. That is basically what this is.

Except that Zacha is younger and better than Bennett and Schneider is younger and better than Smith.

Calgary would be crazy to pass this up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I dont know who would want a goalie with an anchor contract and bad hips.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
LOL. sorry. This just made me laugh so much.

At this point, Flames would be crazy not to trade Bennett for a tender like Schneider. So what is they lose a great 3rd liner for a very good goalie? Come on! Enough with the homers!

But I don’t think NJ is in a position to trade Cory.
If Schneider was still playing like he did 2 years ago than of course its a no brainer for the Flames but unfortunately he has been pretty bad so its not worth it

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I don't think New Jersey should be trading Schneider, he was so much better than Kinkaid in the playoffs last year and the difference in skill was so obvious. If they ever want to win in the playoffs i don't think Kinkaid will get the job done.

Calgary on the other hand should definitely accept this because Bennett at best is a third line forward so getting a potential elite goalie would be worth it even with the risks that the trade has. Personally wouldn't be surprised if Bennett follows fellow bust Yakupov to the Khl in a few years so getting something for him would be pretty good.

Reactions: ehhedler

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Respectfully no. Bennett has looked great so far this season, despite what the scoring stats show.

Is NJ really in a position to trade Schneider?
4 years into his career and still producing less than Yakupov did lol . Bennett is a bust It's like hearing about Flames top 3 defence every year and watching them get blown out 9-1, energy players with 0 finish are just that , and that's Bennett

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bennett may be playing more effective 5v5 hockey this season but the “he’s looking good and breaking out” narrative feels a bit forced when he’s on pace for even less points than the whopping 26 he had last year and still being iced less than 13 minutes per game. If he’s breaking out, then it’s as an effective bottom-6 forward - any expectations greater than that at this point seem a rather large leap of faith. Which I’m sure many Flames fans have (and I would likely too if I were a Flames fan) - but the rest of us have seen this conversation for like 3 straight years with no change in the final result. So yeah, the “Bennett’s playing great (on pace for like 22 points and 3rd/4th liner minutes)” is a tough sell.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
If Schneider was a car, he would be a '73 Dodge Challenger. Great and slick back in the days, but pretty much useless nowadays. Bennett is like the 2016 Ford Focus, not the greatest, but not the worst either. Serves his purpose.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Except that Zacha is younger and better than Bennett and Schneider is younger and better than Smith.

Calgary would be crazy to pass this up.
Bennett and Zacha have identical stats, tell me how Zacha is better? Schneider may be younger and better but he can’t stay healthy and that contract is pretty atrocious. What are you talking about they’d by crazy to pass that up? They’d be ****ing stupid to take that.

Reactions: Pia8988

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Mark Jankowski + Mike Stone

For

Cory Schneider -> 20% Retained.

He's at 6? So 4.8M? Would the devil's even want stone though? Like Janks was a mid first, I think we'd need to cough up a 3rd maybe conditional if CS starts over 35 games then it's a 2nd?

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Bennett and Zacha have identical stats, tell me how Zacha is better? Schneider may be younger and better but he can’t stay healthy and that contract is pretty atrocious. What are you talking about they’d by crazy to pass that up? They’d be ****ing stupid to take that.
Zacha is not better but that extra year currently plays in his favour IMO. There is still a slight slight chance he puts it together.

Combine that with Schneider, who is better then Smith, and we are pulling apart the comparables.

I don’t see how CGY could turn this down but I do see why NJ would turn it down.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He's at 6? So 4.8M? Would the devil's even want stone though? Like Janks was a mid first, I think we'd need to cough up a 3rd maybe conditional if CS starts over 35 games then it's a 2nd?

We need the money to work.
Stone is part of how the money can even out for us. Also, I think guys like Eric Gyrba are being used as their 6D, Stone's a big upgrade on that.

I'm okay with making the deal work with picks being used to balance it out. I'm wondering if Jersey fans are okay with the bones of the deal.

Bennett for Schneider isn't happening; but Jankowski is a guy who fits a role, and given the right opportunity would probably be a yearly 15 goal man.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
If Schneider was a car, he would be a '73 Dodge Challenger. Great and slick back in the days, but pretty much useless nowadays. Bennett is like the 2016 Ford Focus, not the greatest, but not the worst either. Serves his purpose.

I like the analogy, but I think it would be more accurate if Schneider were a beaten up '73 Mercedes. You might be able to get it, repair it and have the value increase significantly all the while enjoying a pretty elite machine. Just as likely though, the car is too beaten up to be repaired.

It's a shame too, I was a big fan of his for many years.

Reactions: Kevs Security

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
4 years into his career and still producing less than Yakupov did lol . Bennett is a bust It's like hearing about Flames top 3 defence every year and watching them get blown out 9-1, energy players with 0 finish are just that , and that's Bennett
This whole Defence this is getting old and not even something Flames fans are saying.

And production means everything? Even if Bennett turns into 40 point guy with grit it is what it is but that’s not bust. Serviceable nhl player... (yeah expectations were high from a team that didn’t draft high for years before that)

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Their stats aren’t identical.

They’re similar, but Zacha’s numbers project better over a full season.

He’s also younger and has a size advantage.

Bennett doesn’t hold much value at this point.

If you can get a goalie like Schneider behind a defense like Calgary has for that price, it’s worth the gamble that Schneider’s health issues and contract pose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad