Confirmed with Link: Schmidt traded to Van for a 3rd

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I don't like it overall because I think Nate + Pietro is a huge win. But without knowing all their circumstances it's hard to know exactly what they had out there.

That said, not even remotely close to Thornton or Seguin deals.

Wish Nate the best. He was asked to come in and be the guy to stop the best of the best of the NHL for us and a lot of the times did that.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
On Vancouver board they think this is steal of the century.

Hope McPhee and McCrimmon knew something we don't know about Schmidt. On the surface, we got a minor upgrade in Pietrangelo with the risk of getting stuck with a bad contract in years 5-7.

Should've moved a forward (Patches, Marcchesault or similar) who could be replaced easier. With Schmidt AND Petro, we'd have top-3 defense, top-10 forwards and top-flight goalie.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Hope McPhee and McCrimmon knew something we don't know about Schmidt. On the surface, we got a minor upgrade in Pietrangelo with the risk of getting stuck with a bad contract in years 5-7.

Should've moved a forward (Patches, Marcchesault or similar) who could be replaced easier. With Schmidt AND Petro, we'd have top-3 defense, top-10 forwards and top-flight goalie.

I mean they did steal him, but they still didn't really improve much considering how many players they lost this offseason.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Nate definitely had to go. You cannot have $20m on three defensemen and $12m on goaltenders. But I would have rather traded a third than receive a third round pick from a division rival that nearly beat us in Game 7.

For those arguing trade Martinez +, Alec has an expiring contract which is very valuable with their current situation. With all the defensemen ready (I.E. Whitecloud & maybe Hague) and almost ready (I.E. Coghlan, Schuldt, Korczak), need spaces to open up. Alec is great for now, but his space will be valuable later.

Nate just isn't really a top pairing defensemen, especially for a cup contending team. Very solid second pairing guy. But we cannot pay him $6m a year with Petro and Theo.

As for Fleury, unless they were going to get some help from Ottawa or Detroit, it just didn't make sense to move him. If reports were correct, retaining 50% does nothing to help the cap situation. Keeping Fleury might help us next offseason. With the expansion draft coming, teams losing their goalie might see a need for Fleury as a stopgap. Also, this season will likely be very condensed. It will nice to have a "starter" each game.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

In our defense, Benning had screwed up so badly this off season, any remotely positive move would look amazing. :laugh:

I'm still baffled Schmidt went for basically nothing.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016

Minor? Pietrangelo was top5 in Norris Trophy three times during his career including last season. Schmidt is very good, but nowhere near Pietrangelo level.

Reactions: Nighthock

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Minor? Pietrangelo was top5 in Norris Trophy three times during his career including last season. Schmidt is very good, but nowhere near Pietrangelo level.

We'll see - Pietrangelo played with Colton Parayko, and All-Star caliber defenseman. Schmidt played with McNabb, also an All-Star..............................well, no. And Schmidt is younger and cheaper, that plays into it as well.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
We'll see - Pietrangelo played with Colton Parayko, and All-Star caliber defenseman. Schmidt played with McNabb, also an All-Star..............................well, no. And Schmidt is younger and cheaper, that plays into it as well.

Petro and Parayko both play the right side. Petro's most common partners last year were Gunnarson and Dunn.

Reactions: theslatcher

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He had to remind us of the Misfits. I think thats what we all miss, what a team, what an energy we had. There surely will be better players around but will never be a TEAM better than that.

If any new team can win the cup they will be objectively a better team.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If any new team can win the cup they will be objectively a better team.

Sure, but I have my doubts. The excitement of a first year and then the story of it being an expansion team. Then winning an amazing first game of the Finals. Then damn Holtby had to go ruin it!

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Sure, but I have my doubts. The excitement of a first year and then the story of it being an expansion team. Then winning an amazing first game of the Finals. Then damn Holtby had to go ruin it!

I agree they may not be as special as that first team, or at least they will have a high bar to pass.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm moving to Vegas from Montreal and can't believe this trade. I think I have a spare third rounder on ME, hang on let me check. And now they want to dump Patch? That's a baaaaad idea.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I still don't get the trade. Stepan got a 2nd. So many other teams would love Schmidt so seemingly some bidding could have happened. Probably couldn't get fair value but could have gotten some value at least. An interesting if flawed prospect or something.

We wouldn't have been over the ten percent offseason cap with Schmidt. We are only 974k over with twenty one on the roster now. We would be 6.924 over with twenty two with him. Ten percent is 8.15 over. We could add a twenty third and still be under it.

The trade didn't need to happen before Pietrangelo signed. We didn't have to limit ourselves to so short a time frame.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Expectations were sky high after Schmidt's first season and while not great, he was still a good player and definitely worthy of getting a better return coming back. VGK handed out too many big checks that first and second season and now they are in a win now mode and we lose most trades based on value and because their lets overpay for Ryan Reaves and pay Fleury more money when he had a year left and if he got paid the same as his old deal the taxes would be what makes the contract better without having to dish out real dollars. The team didn't pay Wild Bill stupid money and even now I feel that Wild Bill's current deal is a bit too high, but it isn't as bad as other deals that McPhee handed out. What this team needs most is for rookies to make the team and bring down the spending. Even the clown at sin bin is finally seeing that vgk is quick to overpay and see that we do lose trades and more often than they used to admit. At least it's not as bad as Seguin or even Ryan O'Money.

I'd like to see Stone, Glass, and Wild Bill to not under perform and play close enough to expectations. Maybe I look at Stone's career in Ottawa and look at his vegas numbers and wonder how the hell isn't he doing even better here. And we also need to give the coaching staff some slack and transition to playing in Gallant's play hard and don't worry about adjustments because the league needs to adjust to us game style and thats how vegas lost its cup to Trotz who changed his game plan and vegas couldn't stop the caps and then we couldn't do jack schizz either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad