Confirmed with Link: Schmidt traded to Van for a 3rd

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
There will most likely be a least three or four GMs at the end of the year kicking themselves they didn't give a 1st for Nate Schmidt.

A few will probably do so from their couch.

Reactions: derriko

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
There will most likely be a least three or four GMs at the end of the year kicking themselves they didn't give a 1st for Nate Schmidt.

A few will probably do so from their couch.
I dont know much about him. he puts up points, probably a good no.2 top pairing guy. good at the transition and counter attack.
Anything else you'd care to share about him?
He'll probably play next to Hughes

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is there something we're missing here?

To me Schmidt was the 2nd best player on your team after Mark Stone and I'm absolutely flabbergasted he was moved ahead of Martinez/Tuch or paying through the teeth to get rid of Fleury. Especially for this return.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I dont know much about him. he puts up points, probably a good no.2 top pairing guy. good at the transition and counter attack.
Anything else you'd care to share about him?
He'll probably play next to Hughes

Solid two way defenseman plays left and right. Can anchor a top four pairing and be a veteran presence. Puts up thirty something points while being solid in his own end. Plays all situations and can play the toughest defensive minutes. Plays PP, PK, 22 minutes a night, whatever you ask.

Great personality and his new teammates will all include him in their top five well liked Canucks by the end of the season.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

To me Schmidt was the 2nd best player on your team after Mark Stone and I'm absolutely flabbergasted he was moved ahead of Martinez/Tuch or paying through the teeth to get rid of Fleury. Especially for this return.
He does well in the breakout and we're not doing that as much? At least that's what the people that know more about hockey than me say.

I don't trust Lehner, so I'm down with the tandem thing, but I'm super pissed it cost Schmidt. Benning somehow pulled this one out for a third. I don't know why Nate went so cheap unless there's people that think the PED thing was real and needed.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Probably becomes a matter of easiest contract to move without retaining assets. Not sure if his PED suspension affected his standing around the league but wouldn’t surprise me. I’m guessing there was pressure from the Pietrangelo side to get a deal done so that necessitated an easy and quick move. Martinez and Fleury were more complicated moves.

Edit: Just announced Lehner will have shoulder surgery.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
5u69LPe.gif

It’s certainly been a day...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Can they get Martinez to extend 2-3 years for a low cap hit (without demanding a full NTC :oops:)? It would make a tiny bit more sense.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They only announced what we got in the Instagram story that we got a third. They didn't include what we gave up lol.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Still need to clear cap, btw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha, smart move not trading Flower amirite?
If no one wants to take him on, what are you going to do, pick a team and force him down their throats? It was a buyer's market for goalies.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If no one wants to take him on, what are you going to do, pick a team and force him down their throats? It was a buyer's market for goalies.

We know there are teams that wanted him for the past week at 2-3m retained. The Penguins supposedly still would take him with retention. There's no reason they shouldn't have found a 3rd team to hold some cap for a 1st.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
One of the worst trades in the last decade or two.

If you were to ask me to make a list of cap casualties, Schmidt wouldn’t have been in the top 5.

To not even pick up one of their top prospects like Lind, Woo, Juolevi, etc. is a travesty.

It's really not. They see it as Pietrangelo + 3rd for Schmidt.

member 328930

One of the worst trades in the last decade or two.

If you were to ask me to make a list of cap casualties, Schmidt wouldn’t have been in the top 5.

To not even pick up one of their top prospects like Lind, Woo, Juolevi, etc. is a travesty.

None of those are the Canucks top prospects. Their top prospects are Podkolzin and Hoglander. I can tell you Canuck fans are on cloud nine over this trade. None of us would have blinked if Benning included any of this B level prospects you listed.

Reactions: SurferBroChad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->