Schenn vs Tarasenko

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It's tough to say 1 way or the other because you're comparing 2 different styles of play, 2 different positions, and they haven't had the same development path so their stats are tough to compare. I will however say that recent successful NHL teams have been strong down the middle, so based on position I would say Schenn might have the advantage. If you're Pitt's GM you probably take Tarasenko, if you're Toronto's GM you probably take Schenn. I see Schenn being a Mike Richards type player, solid 200 foot game, physical, 70-80 point career high. Tarasenko seems to have more offensive flare, I see him as a Skinner/(young, pre-injured) Havlat. I would be shocked if he wasn't a consistent 35-40 goal scorer in his prime with 50 goal potential.

Either way, both seem to have a fairly bright future in the NHL.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kuznetsov was the best in quarterfinal. Tarasenko was the best in final.

Kuznetsov had three assists in the third period of the finals against Canada, including the ridiculous pass to set up Tarasenko's GTG.

Note how Kuznetsov also stole the puck to start the play. Kuzy was absolutely on par with Tarasenko, if not better, during that game.

Because you don't build your team around a Russian to win the Stanley Cup. A Russian cannot be your leader and go to guy to win the Cup, it doesn't happen...

In fact I don't even think there has ever been a Russian to lead, captain or even be the go to guy to ever win a Cup.

:facepalm:
I hope I'm missing sarcasm here.

Fulcrum

Kuznetsov had three assists in the third period of the finals against Canada, including the ridiculous pass to set up Tarasenko's GTG.

Note how Kuznetsov also stole the puck to start the play. Kuzy was absolutely on par with Tarasenko, if not better, during that game.

love watching that- thank you :P

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

:facepalm:
I hope I'm missing sarcasm here.

Yeah, Kuznetsov got a point for that 5th goal of Dvuruchenskiy. That was a really brilliant pass... I mean statistics guys were the only people who saw it...

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
^No sarcasm emoticon needed buddy. Not only did Kuznetsov make a brilliant play that CREATED the gtg in that game, he also created Russia's second goal of the game that put Canada completely on it's heels. You don't remember that? A few seconds after Russia's first goal, Kuznetsov took a pass off of the face-off, streaked down the boards and took the puck directly to the net creating an easy scoring opportunity for his linemate.

So, Kuznetsov was responsible for creating Russia's second and third goals in a game that they trailed 3-1 in the third period. He also made the clear that led to the goal that completely sealed the game, but you're downplaying that for some reason. He had a very, very impactful performance if you ask me, and one that was as important for Russia as any other player bar none.

As an aside, he also made the all-tournament team along with Orlov, the only Russian forward to do that.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
^No sarcasm emoticon needed buddy. Not only did Kuznetsov make a brilliant play that CREATED the gtg in that game, he also created Russia's second goal of the game that put Canada completely on it's heels. You don't remember that? A few seconds after Russia's first goal, Kuznetsov took a pass off of the face-off, streaked down the boards and took the puck directly to the net creating an easy scoring opportunity for his linemate.

So, Kuznetsov was responsible for creating Russia's second and third goals in a game that they trailed 3-1 in the third period. He also made the clear that led to the goal that completely sealed the game, but you're downplaying that for some reason. He had a very, very impactful performance if you ask me, and one that was as important for Russia as any other player bar none.

As an aside, he also made the all-tournament team along with Orlov, the only Russian forward to do that.

Kuznetsov was wowing in the tournament, it was easy to see that he was the best Russian Forward (as they named him to the All-Tourney team), but as a Capitals prospect he just kind of falls off the map and the hype machine loses all of its momentum when he's not in the immediate spotlight. Kuznetsov did to the KHL what few 18 year olds have, ever.

Kuznetsov also has the second-most goals ever in a season for a Russian player under 19-years old. That record belongs to the late Alexei Cherepanov. Cherepanov scored 18 goals in the 2006-07 KHL regular season and chipped in another three in the playoffs. In comparison, Alex Ovechkin had 13 in the regular season at this age (15 overall), and Pavel Bure totaled 14.

Now take a look at his stats since the World Junor Championships:

In the 31 games before the WJC: 9 Goals, 5 Assists
In the 10 games after the WJC: 7 Goals, 7 Assists

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Schenn.

Because you don't build your team around a Russian to win the Stanley Cup. A Russian cannot be your leader and go to guy to win the Cup, it doesn't happen...

In fact I don't even think there has ever been a Russian to lead, captain or even be the go to guy to ever win a Cup.

Wow... hard to argue incredible logic like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad