Schenn vs Tarasenko

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Tarasenko will play in the NHL next season. And nobody can say right now who of them will be better...

I'll believe it when I see him playing here.

And nobody can say right now? OK Shutdown the Prospect board. He's spoken.

schronote

Sep 15, 2008
A Blues fan here and as much flash Tarasenko has, Schenn is the obvious choice. He has better size, no Russia factor, more dedicated to winning a Stanley Cup. In a recent interview Tarasenko stated that winning an Olympic Gold Medal is a bigger deal than winning the Cup, no surprise as he isn't from N.A. but Schenn has his eye on the prize. Also Schenn has his brother to look up to and see how he has handled becoming one of the top shutdown defenders in the world. Schenn is a safer bet and more of a sure thing.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
as a Blues fan I wouldn`t trade Vlad for Schenn straight up, I`m just too excited to see what he can do in NA plus an elite sniper never hurts (since the Blues have good playmakers, great power-forwards, great 2-way-guys but, beside of Perron, no real sniper)

but if I had to build a NHL franchise Schenn would be my choice

Fulcrum

A Blues fan here and as much flash Tarasenko has, Schenn is the obvious choice. He has better size, no Russia factor, more dedicated to winning a Stanley Cup. In a recent interview Tarasenko stated that winning an Olympic Gold Medal is a bigger deal than winning the Cup, no surprise as he isn't from N.A. but Schenn has his eye on the prize. Also Schenn has his brother to look up to and see how he has handled becoming one of the top shutdown defenders in the world. Schenn is a safer bet and more of a sure thing.

And Tarasenko has, not only to look up to, but learn from his dad who is also the team's coach, and an ex NT player.

Tarasenko has also proven that he can be really good in man's hockey and has pretty much solidified his spot on the NT. Schenn is many years away from that.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

I'm not sure where that came from, but size is pretty much a wash between these two. And Tarasenko's game is more than just flash as his performance in the WC show. Regardless, this is as much a toss-up as you can get, the only advantage going to Schenn because he's already on this side of the Atlantic.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
many years from that? Good god.

With the depth that Canada has, it's really not that crazy a statement. Not to mention, it's not like Schenn has proven anything in the NHL yet, what's he have, 2 points in 9 games? Let him prove himself before he's gifted a spot on the best ice hockey roster in the world.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
oops, I thought you meant establishing himself in men's hockey. I agree, he's years away form the National team. that's for sure.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
1) Russian depth may be < than the canadian but not by THAT much
2) Vlad has not a "solidified spot", it was a hugh success for him to crack the WC roster but he didn`t see much ice-time at all and when Ovi&co arrived he was more a benchwarmer then anything else (just to say: that was not his fault, he didn`t play bad)
3) Schenners chances to crack the canadian line-up is very good if he has an ok season and Philly fails to make the POs (as unlikely as it is)

to make the sochi-roster is a whole different story, for both of em

but from the "has proven" POV Tarasenko easily gets the edge right now...

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Schenn.

Because you don't build your team around a Russian to win the Stanley Cup. A Russian cannot be your leader and go to guy to win the Cup, it doesn't happen...

In fact I don't even think there has ever been a Russian to lead, captain or even be the go to guy to ever win a Cup.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Schenn.

Because you don't build your team around a Russian to win the Stanley Cup. A Russian cannot be your leader and go to guy to win the Cup, it doesn't happen...

In fact I don't even think there has ever been a Russian to lead, captain or even be the go to guy to ever win a Cup.

Oh really? Who won the 2009 Conn Smythe?

There's only been a couple Swedes to ever "lead" a team to a Cup (Zetterberg/Lidstrom). There's been just as many Russians as there has Fins or Czechs. I guess your argument is more that you should build around a good ol' Canadian boy rather than you shouldnt build around a Russian.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Tarasenko was the best, but he scored only 2 points (game tying goal and primary assist for game winning one). But it was his leadership that played the main role.

Schenn also had a goal and assist in the final. And had 2.6ppg compared to tarasenko's 1.6ppg. And he's sure to play in NA, whereas tarasenko is a maybe.
So clearly, Schenn is the one to build a franchise around at this point in time.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Schenn.

Evgeni Malkin says hi.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I strongly dislike the Blues and would still take Tarasenko. There are no holes in his game and he's only getting better.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You could argue Fedorov on Detroit (altho he wasn't the captain)

Yzerman lead the wings...

Oh really? Who won the 2009 Conn Smythe?

There's only been a couple Swedes to ever "lead" a team to a Cup (Zetterberg/Lidstrom). There's been just as many Russians as there has Fins or Czechs. I guess your argument is more that you should build around a good ol' Canadian boy rather than you shouldnt build around a Russian.

Evgeni Malkin says hi.

Without Crosby the Pens were going nowhere...

His Beardliness*

Yzerman lead the wings...

Without Crosby the Pens were going nowhere...

Yzerman was the captain, but Fedorov led the team. He was the first line center and the leading scorer. Should have had a Conn Smythe.

Also without Malkin the Pens were going nowhere.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Schenn.

I thought that was sarcasm

rangersfan111

May 6, 2010
If I were to build a team around one of these players it would be brayden schenn. The guy is going to be a first line centre and is much more valuable than a first line winger. Also if I were building a team I would want to build it around a North American and in particular a Canadian. I'm not going to get into the past bringing up gretzky and messier but I will relate to the present. Detroit is not the best example because they are just a great organization that devlops players the right way (like the Pittsburgh Steelers)... people become stars there. Getzlaf, Crosby, B.Richards, Stamkos, Lecavallier, E. Staal, J. Toews, J.Tavares, M. Duchene... then there's Shea Weber and D. Doughty. These are the type of players you can build a team around. Then there are the potential franchise players in Seguin, Huberdeau and Schenn. I would never consider Tarasenko a franchise player. He is more of a phil kessel/marian gaborik caliber. A guy that can probably post 40 goals in his prime but should not be the focal point of a team.

Lastly, do you guys honestly think that Holmgren would have traded M. Richards for Tarasenko. No chance. And St. Louis needs a first line centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad