Injury Report: Scheifele injury hyperventilation thread (UPD: out 6-8 weeks)

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Flames fan coming in piece, wondering if there are any updates on Scheifs status. Definitely not fantasy related.

Okay maybe fantasy related

Reactions: bring back the jets

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Flames fan coming in piece, wondering if there are any updates on Scheifs status. Definitely not fantasy related.

Okay maybe fantasy related

Nothing recently - Maurice did mention that he may return sooner than they thought, but didn't give any timelines.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Nothing recently - Maurice did mention that he may return sooner than they thought, but didn't give any timelines.

Original schedule was 6 to 8 weeks so that means he could return around 8th to 22nd of February.

"Sooner than expected" could then be even less than 6 weeks, but that might be as well about 6 weeks, which is substantially less than 8 weeks.

Maybe he could be back in only two weeks if everything goes right. I'm sure that they won't take any risks as it's not about Stanley Cup finals yet. Better safe than sorry. Jets are doing pretty OK without him anyway.

Reactions: Ippenator and GNP

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It makes me feel pretty good about the Jets, when I consider our #1 & #3 centers going down, a great chance to use some of our depth.

We've so far been able to ride out the injury and also been given an opportunity to see Roslovic, and to see what Wheeler can do at center, and Copp at center (again). It's really been great to see that we can ride something like this out.

But now I want everyone healthy again, thanks :)

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I think with the way the team has continued to play well they take no chances with bringing Schef back early. I get he is a gym rat and workaholic but this season is about building for a playoff run. So keep him out until he is 100% let him be fresh towards the end of the season for the playoffs

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Since his injury is a shoulder, he'll be able to maintain his conditioning somewhat so that unlike a LBI once he's cleared he should basically be ready to go. I also think they won't feel any pressure to rush him.

Reactions: ps241

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Since his injury is a shoulder, he'll be able to maintain his conditioning somewhat so that unlike a LBI once he's cleared he should basically be ready to go. I also think they won't feel any pressure to rush him.

The central division is so tight that they may not rush him, but there will be some subtle urgency to get him back out there sooner rather than later.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The central division is so tight that they may not rush him, but there will be some subtle urgency to get him back out there sooner rather than later.

I think they'll wait til he's 100%

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
I think they'll wait til he's 100%

I think he’s uber-competitive and will likely tell them he’s 100% when he’s 86%.

Which is what you want from a competitor. And the team, being in the thick of a knock-down battle for playoff seeding in the Central, will be incentivized to believe him.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think he’s uber-competitive and will likely tell them he’s 100% when he’s 86%.

Which is what you want from a competitor. And the team, being in the thick of a knock-down battle for playoff seeding in the Central, will be incentivized to believe him.

It won't be up to Mark to decide. That's why they employ a medical staff.

Reactions: Ippenator

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
It won't be up to Mark to decide. That's why they employ a medical staff.
This is an insane hair splitting semantics based argument we’re having.

Regardless, if you think the player has zero input into his health status, particularly once the injury has physically healed and they’re waiting on strength return, conditioning, etc. you’ve never played sports.

The player has subjective knowledge about pain and his condition that medical staff cant duplicate with testing. Not to say that the basis of any decision won’t be testing, but it’s laughable to suggest the player’s subjective assessment of his condition won’t factor in at the margins.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
This is an insane hair splitting semantics based argument we’re having.

Regardless, if you think the player has zero input into his health status, particularly once the injury has physically healed and they’re waiting on strength return, conditioning, etc. you’ve never played sports.

The player has subjective knowledge about pain and his condition that medical staff cant duplicate with testing. Not to say that the basis of any decision won’t be testing, but it’s laughable to suggest the player’s subjective assessment of his condition won’t factor in at the margins.

I was only addressing the fact that some people suggested the Jets would feel pressure to rush him into the lineup early because the central is so competitive. I disagree completely with that. They will manage their asset properly.

And yes with the injury Mark has he won't have much say. The staff know exactly how he performed in the weight room prior to the injury and have a lot of experience dealing with shoulder injuries. It's not something Mark can fake.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
And yes with the injury Mark has he won't have much say. The staff know exactly how he performed in the weight room prior to the injury and have a lot of experience dealing with shoulder injuries. It's not something Mark can fake.

A lot of the assessment of soft tissue injuries though is subjective, and has to deal with pain and discomfort. That certainly is something Mark can fake. It's not like a broken bone, where you can see via x-rays whether a bone is or is not broken.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
A lot of the assessment of soft tissue injuries though is subjective, and has to deal with pain and discomfort. That certainly is something Mark can fake. It's not like a broken bone, where you can see via x-rays whether a bone is or is not broken.

Precisely.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

They have access to technology (MRI etc) and he will have to show he has returned to full strength in the weight room. How can he fake that?

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
They have access to technology (MRI etc) and he will have to show he has returned to full strength in the weight room. How can he fake that?

The trouble is we don't know the exact nature of the injury. My understanding is that while a torn ligament will be seen on an MRI, a stretched one for example will not. Just as an example.

And just because someone is lifting heavy weights doesn't mean they aren't still in pain - and perhaps even re-injuring themselves.

Look, I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV. What I am going by is I used to do some personal injury law, and the frustrating thing for both sides in that area is that soft tissue injuries do not show up on any kind of scan or imaging, though they definitely do exist. So we were stuck having to rely on the self-reporting of people with obvious self-interests.

Reactions: GNP

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The trouble is we don't know the exact nature of the injury. My understanding is that while a torn ligament will be seen on an MRI, a stretched one for example will not. Just as an example.

And just because someone is lifting heavy weights doesn't mean they aren't still in pain - and perhaps even re-injuring themselves.

Look, I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV. What I am going by is I used to do some personal injury law, and the frustrating thing for both sides in that area is that soft tissue injuries do not show up on any kind of scan or imaging, though they definitely do exist. So we were stuck having to rely on the self-reporting of people with obvious self-interests.

It could have even been a clavicle fracture that did not require surgery.

That being said..... back to my original thought. The Jets will not succumb to any pressure for Mark to return to the lineup until they are satisfied he's 100%

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

That being said..... back to my original thought. The Jets will not succumb to any pressure for Mark to return to the lineup until they are satisfied he's 100%

Yes entirely possible it's a fracture. Which would show up quite nicely on x-rays. That's pretty much what I'm hoping it is, because once it heals it should have no impact on Schiefele's ability to play the rest of the season.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016

I enjoy how sure you are on this meaningless point.

Zero chance that 55 pushes to get into the lineup at 98% - only 100% is possible!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad