Scheifele hit on Evans - 4 game suspension PART VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Stop looking for excuses. It's not about your "market size" it's about your guy making a play that could have killed another player.

Maybe next time he's going to be the one to get "blowed up" on a "hockey play". You'll be glad for this precedent then. Or maybe hopefully this helps stops the next moron from doing the same to your players.
I am not looking for excuses! I agree with the suspension!
I just believe this reveals something about the hypocrisy of the NHL’s politics of Player Safety decisions. Unless you wholeheartedly support the consistencies of Parros’ decisions in the RECENT past. If so, please justify why you agree with Parros’ consistent judgements on player discipline ( Wilson, Reaves, etc.).;)

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
The only thing more inconsistent than DPS is the spelling of Scheifele in this thread (I’m OK with this suspension).
I dont mind this take.

I acknowledge that while I 100% agree with the suspension and its length because I think it was a selfish hit where the intent wasn't to stop a goal, but rather to send a message....I also think the DOPS deserves some blame for why half the NHL world hates it...because frankly, if they held players more responsible like they have here, this would be the standard ruling and no one would be furious.

The NHL has called stuff like this 1-2 games or even just a fine sometimes...and it shouldnt be 4 solely because of an injury on the play...or cause it's a random dart on the board.

So I understand Jets fans being frustrated with the inconsistency.. I dont blame you. I do think it was an illegal hit and one that had poor intent...but I honestly understand the frustration cause the league is so inconsistent sometimes.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
an embarrassment of a suspension. i didn't think he'd get a single game and now we have a series altering blunder. parros needs to go. this was a hockey play.

1. He NEVER had any intention to play the puck... If he reached with his stick and then hit him it would have been different.

2. He left his feet ...look at the replay at where his skates were at the point of impact.

3. He came UP to contact the head and look at his lead elbow.

4. His intent was clear and it was NOT to prevent a goal. He DID cause an injury!

He deserved 5, and if anyone can't see that you really need to go back and watch the video again.

If the Jets are still alive in Game 6, the Habs will be very happy to dole out the justice on the ice too

Reactions: o6mopok and Varlan

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
@IceDaddy @Whitesnake
But the severity of the suspension was in about head contact. Watch the video explaining the suspension. He talks about “significant contact to the head”. That’s my only issue with this all. There is charging, he should have attempted to get a stick on the puck. But it was shoulder to chest from everything I can see and the head snaps back because of the hit. ...

You aren't watching the same video I am-nor the same as the Department of Player Safety, apparently. Your reaction is the same as mine when I first saw the hit at full speed, but with it slowed down I see a shoulder to the head.

While I've been no fan of the DPS, this suspension seems completely warranted to me. My preference would be for more.

I'm not a fan of either team in this series.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Every time a hit like this happens, we see the ugly side of humanity in these threads. Some of the takes are absolutely embarrassing.

Hopefully Evans is alright. The hit is indefensible by any reasonable, logical human who can see.
Tribalism.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I am okay with this decision. AS LONG AS the NHL uses this as a standard going forward (for big market teams - not just for small market teams like the Jets)
I agree. Unfortunately, we'll never get perfectly measured rulings across the board because there's no perfect measure for checks and hits. Ten people will have ten different opinions on any given situation. But I think this decision was closer to being right than wrong. There's much less difference between 4 games and 2 games than there is between 2 games and no suspension. Anyway... hoping for no more injuries for either team and no unnecessary crap.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It bothers me that Scheifele got 4 games for this and Bennett only got 1 for his hit on Coleman.

lots of similarities. Bennett was charging, clearly only had intent to hit, checked from behind, it was violent...

i guess injury is pretty much the main factor. It’s sad actually. If Evans gets up from this hit right away, I bet it’s just a game, maybe 2.

That’s what pisses me off about DOPS’ decisions.

Result of the play has always been a factor. The DOPS has always been reactive instead of proactive. That’s why everybody hates it. I’m just pissed my team had to be on the receiving end of a fairly accurate one. There are so many examples where shit could have hit the fan and because it didn’t they just brush it off as a “good hockey play”.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’ll take 4 games, but if the NHL is serious about player safety this is worth 20. Anyone arguing this is acceptable is either a habs hater, of which there are many or a jets fan. There is no place for this is this game. The fact that he could return to the series in the real joke here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Varlan

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I'm okay with the decision, but leaving the door open for Scheifele to play again this series if it goes to 6+ games allows for the ugliness that could happen at that time.

I really wish the decision was actually "for the remainder of the series with Montreal." Can the DOPS hand down a ruling of this sort?
Yes they can. They’ve done it in the past. I don’t have the example off the top of my head.

Reactions: Mbraunm

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Fair.

Scheifele deserved it big time
Absolutely. While nothing that was said in the video was surprising at all and is common sense, at least they recognized the obvious and made the correct call with a suspension. A pretty big rarity. lol

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
If the Jets are eliminated before game 6, I assume Schifele would have to serve the remainder of the suspension next season?

SIV

Mar 10, 2013
upload_2021-6-3_20-41-59.jpeg

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Totally reasonable suspension. Completely inconsistent application of the rule book. Given the lack of history, I'd have expected 2 games or less.

Would love to see more long, suspensions that hurt the team for head hits. They seem pretty uncommon, and with that I feel for Jets fans. Dumb play, but while the judgement fits the crime, it's not consistent with previous suspensions.

Ironically, if Scheifele hadn't pulled up a bit, and the collision would have been much worse, and could have resulted in saving a goal, and then it's a hockey play...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I’ve come to the conclusion that if:

A - you’re making a hockey play and injure or blow someone up, you’re getting a lengthy suspension

but if it’s

B - Extra-curricular after the whistle, pure retaliation or premeditated thuggery…..you’re getting a slap on the wrist and will be back on the ice in no time

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Inconsistent DOPS is inconsistent. Even uses strawman saying the game was over but missed to mention he couldve prevented a goal trailing 4-3 with 50 seconds left. Result was a freak injury because Evans didnt protect himself and they tell you that in peewee. Evans went careless for himself. And Im a Habs fan. I think this was a charging penalty but I beg to differ that if Evans isn't injured it's just another big hit no one talks about.

Reactions: Holocene and SIV

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
@IceDaddy @Whitesnake
But the severity of the suspension was in about head contact. Watch the video explaining the suspension. He talks about “significant contact to the head”. That’s my only issue with this all. There is charging, he should have attempted to get a stick on the puck. But it was shoulder to chest from everything I can see and the head snaps back because of the hit. And the length of suspension was directly related to the “head contact”. So the poster that posts a video of Zadorpv hitting Scheifele with more head contact calling it clean would be incorrect
The head snaps backwards because it is contacted directly by the shoulder. If it was a whiplash from the chest being struck it should have snapped forward. Physics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad