Confirmed with Link: Schedule for 2013-14 season is released

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Which makes 100% sense business wise.

I wonder when Ottawa fans will stop trying to look at their team in comparison to the Leafs or Habs, because ****NEWSFLASH**** it won't be happening.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If the goal of the team is to cultivate a family based fan following where young kids are exposed to the team at a young age and grow with the Senators, as well as expose our team to national and international audiences by being front and center on certain time slots, then this is the perfect schedule for us. It wouldn't actually surprise me if the Senators had been requesting afternoon games as part of an overall strategy to grow the brand.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Which makes 100% sense business wise.

I wonder when Ottawa fans will stop trying to look at their team in comparison to the Leafs or Habs, because ****NEWSFLASH**** it won't be happening.

Like it or not, Ottawa has the same hockey culture as Montreal and Toronto. And part of that hockey culture is that Saturday night IS hockey. Not Saturday afternoon. And when it's always Ottawa adjusting its schedule to accommodate Toronto's and Montreal's perceived birthright to Saturday night hockey, it's hard not to be a little peeved about it.

littleD

Let's put it to rest before the tired discussion is brought up any more.

Start counting...

Toronto back-to-backs...

October 1-2
October 25-26
October 29-30
November 8-9
November 15-16
November 29-30
December 11-12
December 16-17
January 9-10
January 14-15
January 20-21
March 10-11
March 18-19
March 22-23
March 28-29

Montreal...

October 9-10
October 28-29
November 1-2
November 15-16
November 22-23
November 29-30
December 4-5
December 14-15
December 28-29
January 24-25
February 1-2
February 26-27
March 5-6
March 14-15
March 24-25
April 4-5
April 9-10

littleD

Like it or not, Ottawa has the same hockey culture as Montreal and Toronto. And part of that hockey culture is that Saturday night IS hockey. Not Saturday afternoon. And when it's always Ottawa adjusting its schedule to accommodate Toronto's and Montreal's perceived birthright to Saturday night hockey, it's hard not to be a little peeved about it.

Ottawa has nowhere near the same NHL culture as Toronto or Montreal. Like, not even close.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Actually, Sens have so many afternoon games because Melnyk prefers his deal with Sportsnet. It has nothing to do with other teams.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Actually, Sens have so many afternoon games because Melnyk prefers his deal with Sportsnet. It has nothing to do with other teams.

But didn't the deal with Sportsnet come about as a result from years of shabby treatment from CBC, who was regularly leaving Saturday night Sens games unbroadcast?

Ottawa has nowhere near the same NHL culture as Toronto or Montreal. Like, not even close.

I said 'hockey culture'. Why are you talking about 'NHL culture'?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
But didn't the deal with Sportsnet come about as a result from years of shabby treatment from CBC, who was regularly leaving Saturday night Sens games unbroadcast?

I could be wrong but I thought Sportsnet was simply the better deal for Melnyk. I could see what your saying be true though.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I got no link, but I remember Melnyk saying he's been pushing for afternoon games "because of the kids".

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Probably been posted but I'm kind of happy about road games to start. Get them out of the way.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Probably been posted but I'm kind of happy about road games to start. Get them out of the way.

I am not that happy too be honest. Considering our road record was 10-11-3 last season compared to our home record which was 15-6-3.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Players are used to early evening starts, breaks their routine to play in the afternoon. We haven't done well in afternoon games either, remember we lost to the Jets backup in one recently.

Just like every other team. The more we have these games, we might find some consistency.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

I guess it's not a huge deal for fans who live out of town, but personally Im dying to go see a game. Sucks that there isn't a home game til the 17th.

It also sucks we open the season with so many late night starts in the west, I'm ok with the time but I know most people won't stay up to watch the games. ****** way to start the season.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I guess it's not a huge deal for fans who live out of town, but personally Im dying to go see a game. Sucks that there isn't a home game til the 17th.

It also sucks we open the season with so many late night starts in the west, I'm ok with the time but I know most people won't stay up to watch the games. ****** way to start the season.

It could be worse. You could be a rangers fan who has to wait until the end of october to see a home game. They have a 9 game road trip. :laugh:

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
It could be worse. You could be a rangers fan who has to wait until the end of october to see a home game. They have a 9 game road trip. :laugh:

I know that's ridiculous :laugh:

If they were gonna start any team with a nine game road trip you would think it would be Calgary...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad