TSN: Schedule Breakdown (not the actual Schedule)

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Nhl should have had 7 vs div and 2 out of division. Play those extra games on neutral ice like Quebec or something.

7 v Division and 2 v Conference is the perfect set up. That gives you the maximum amount of games that are intense and meaningful. Why they settled on some clustered 5/4/3 nonsense is crazy, but not unexpected.

Anyway, I'll take the games however I can get them.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Surely they can come up with something better than that unbalanced piece of crap. I'm really surprised it isn't more heavy on divisional play.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Am I crazy for taking one more game against Pittsburgh instead of six against the Leafs? We really need the Habs SIX times out of 40 something games that bad? Wish we got the two more games to play the whole division five times but I'll take 5-4-3 over 6-2.

3 Habs home games in 3 months is a dream for this STH..

For one more game against the Penguins, you get snoozers vs the SE division.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
leafs play the habs and sens 5 times, bruins and sabres 4 times. Extra home games against the habs, extra road game against the sens
habs play the leafs and bruins 5 times, sens and sabres 4 times. Extra home game against the bruins, extra road game against the leafs
sens play the leafs and sabres 5 times, habs and bruins 4 times. Extra home game against the leafs, extra road game against the sabres
bruins play the habs and sabres 5 times, leafs and sens 4 times. Extra home game against the sabres, extra road game against the habs
sabres play the sens and bruins 5 times, leafs and habs 4 times. Extra home game against the sens, extra road game against the bruins

3 games against non divisional teams in the conference.

Northeast plays extra home game against Atlantic. Atlantic plays extra home game against Southeast, Southeast plays extra home game against Northeast

From the main board

I would have liked divison each 6 times conference each twice thats 44, then just try four more wildcard games its just as unbalenced but atleast the division home and away splits are the same.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
First Canadiens game: January 19 vs Maple Leafs in Montreal.

Hopefully we play Buffalo at home instead.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Per Bob Mckenzie TSN. Each team will play
4 games vs. 2 Divisional opponents
5 games vs. 2 Divisional opponents
3 games vs 10 Conference Rivals

This is awesome

It should be this for the Bruins
Bruins Canadiens
Bruins Sabres
5 X's

Bruins Leafs
Bruins Ottawa
4 X's

Then 3 against
Rangers
Caps
Devils
Lightning
Hurricanes
Panthers
Jets
Flyers
Penguins
Islanders

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche[/B
]Edmonton Oilers[/B
]Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks

Montreal
Buffalo
Toronto
Ottawa
Rangers
Caps
Devils
Lightning
Hurricanes
Panthers
Jets
Flyers
Penguins
Islanders

7 teams out of the West that are easier for Boston to beat and only 4 teams out of the East.
I think Boston will have a tough schedule.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Nhl should have had 7 vs div and 2 out of division. Play those extra games on neutral ice like Quebec or something.

7, 2 is a terribly unfair idea. Hockey is a conference sport, not a divisional sport. In hockey, the eight best teams from each conference make the playoffs, the divisions only serve to ensure at least one team from each division gets in the playoffs and the winners get the three top seeds. Baseball is a divisional sport, the three division winners make the first round of the playoffs and one wild card team joins them (now a second wild card gets in only to play the first wild card team for the right to join the division winners in the divisional round).
So in hockey, in essence you compete with the other 14 teams in your conference for a playoff spot, how does it make any sense at all to play 28 of your 48 games against just four of those teams? A team like New Jersey may miss the playoffs because they have to play 21 of their 48 games against the Rangers, Penguins and Flyers and Ottawa gets in playing 21 of their 48 against the Habs, Leafs and Sabres. You need more conference games to determine who's better between Ottawa and New Jersey (this is just an example) and not just the team who plays in the weaker division. One of the four in the Atlantic pretty much has to miss the playoffs in your system because there just isn't enough points to go around in the division.
The three weak divisions (Northeast, Southeast and Northwest) would love such a heavy divisional schedule, but it's so not fair to the three strong divisions. We've already compromised the integrity of the season enough losing so many games, don't compromise it further with so many divisional games. I feel for the season ticket holders who lose a game against the Habs, that sucks, but the lockout sucks. We missed 34 games, some have to get cut. The NHL didn't drop the ball on this one, for such a short schedule it's as good and as fair as you can expect. I sense a lot of blood lust for Bruins-Habs in this thread which leads to these too heavy divisional formats, still get to play the Habs four or five out of just 48.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
7, 2 is a terribly unfair idea. Hockey is a conference sport, not a divisional sport. In hockey, the eight best teams from each conference make the playoffs, the divisions only serve to ensure at least one team from each division gets in the playoffs and the winners get the three top seeds. Baseball is a divisional sport, the three division winners make the first round of the playoffs and one wild card team joins them (now a second wild card gets in only to play the first wild card team for the right to join the division winners in the divisional round).
So in hockey, in essence you compete with the other 14 teams in your conference for a playoff spot, how does it make any sense at all to play 28 of your 48 games against just four of those teams? So many divisional games, pretty much ensures at least two teams from each division makes the playoffs. So a team like New Jersey may miss the playoffs because they have to play 21 of their 48 games against the Rangers, Penguins and Flyers and Ottawa gets in playing 21 of their 48 against the Habs, Leafs and Sabres. You need more conference games to determine who's better between Ottawa and New Jersey (this is just an example) and not just the team who plays in the weaker division. One of the four in the Atlantic pretty much has to miss the playoffs in your system because there just isn't enough points to go around in the division.
The three weak divisions (Northeast, Southeast and Northwest) would love such a heavy divisional schedule, but it's so not fair to the three strong divisions. We've already compromised the integrity of the season enough losing so many games, don't compromise it further with so many divisional games. I feel for the season ticket holders who lose a game against the Habs, that sucks, but the lockout sucks. We missed 34 games, some have to get cut. The NHL didn't drop the ball on this one, for such a short schedule it's as good and as fair as you can expect. I sense a lot of blood lust for Bruins-Habs in this thread which leads to these too heavy divisional formats, still get to play the Habs four or five out of just 48.

Just wait until realignment next year and the return to divisional playoffs :)

Justin St Pierre

Dec 16, 2011
Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche[/B
]Edmonton Oilers[/B
]Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks

Montreal
Buffalo
Toronto
Ottawa
Rangers
Caps
Devils
Lightning
Hurricanes
Panthers
Jets
Flyers
Penguins
Islanders

7 teams out of the West that are easier for Boston to beat and only 4 teams out of the East.
I think Boston will have a tough schedule.

That's not really how hockey works.

Any team in the NHL could beat the Bruins on any given night, and the Bruins could beat any team in the NHL on any given night. They've lost to "easy teams" and won against "hard teams." The schedule won't make any difference; the good teams will make the playoffs and the best teams will make it far within them. People put too much weight into who plays who, but in hockey, there's just too much parity to think a game against Columbus is all that different from a game against Los Angeles. Sure, LA at their best and Columbus at their worst is a big divide, but you really don't know what you're facing the night you play them. Look at last season. The Bruins at their worst and at their best was a huge gap. Anyone playing the Bruins probably figured it was a "hard" schedule, and some nights, playing the Bruins wasn't really hard.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
rumor going around all original 6 teams will play one another.. that leaves us playing you guys on opening night

tumblr_m14tmtEv061r92ldso1_400.gif

but really I can't ****ing wait.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins/Rangers snoozefest to start it off? lol. I don't care how good of rosters both teams have, they always manage to play the most boring games against each other.

Oh well, hockey's back so I really can't complain.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Somebody should make a GDT for jan 19 to talk about things that really do not deserve there own thread.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
From the main board

I would have liked divison each 6 times conference each twice thats 44, then just try four more wildcard games its just as unbalenced but atleast the division home and away splits are the same.

Yup. Would have been no harm in that.

And the set up you quoted means that you good folks in Boston will get to see two home games against the Panthers AND two home games against the Habs.

What a... I don't want to be a whiner. But damn it! How does the NHL screw up something so simple?

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Travel should be great Winnipeg is the only city west of Pittsburg, the western teams will have it harder, they strech across the country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad