2007 - Ottawa loses in 5 to Anaheim
2011 - Vancouver loses in 7 to Boston
2021 - Montreal loses in 5 to Tampa Bay

Who is next Toronto or Winnipeg?

We can forget already Toronto.

Reactions: SensFactor

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
im not super salty, I don't care for either team. I just think its the Kucherov situation is highly suspect.

salty me says * * * * * * * * * * though

So suspect they announced it would happen before the season started, allowed the whole league ie their competition and the NHL itself to be aware of it for months and do their due diligence, and were cleared to continue. Naw, the whole league is in on the fix, including Montreal.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
The rules prevent good offense moreso though (or lack of enforcement of rules). But the goalies are too big Lehner especially looked like an overinflated balloon it was ridiculous.

I don't think the rules matter at all. Teams could trade breakaways and I don't think scoring would go up much. Goals rely on fluke deflections and screens. If the goalie sees the puck, it's getting stopped.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
But did they have a... Sergachev?

They had

Vladimir Konstantinov
Nicklas Lidstrom
Larry Murphy

on the Wings in 96-97

and

Sandis Ozolinsh
Adam Foote

on the Avs in 96-97

So, yes. They did. Again, the teams from the 90s were ludicrous. Tampa is them compared to the rest of the team now. But the Wings and Avalanche from the mid 90s until the lockout were loaded beyond belief.

And before you mention them... yes, they had a fourth line who kicked all sorts of ass like Coleman, Goodrow, and others. The fact that it's not ludicrous to argue that Tampa is on the level of those two teams... that's not an insult to what they are. In a cap era, they're pulling off a roster (albeit with some fortunate timing of injuries) that could play with the juggernauts from the past.

Mr Fox

Hungry since '93
Aug 21, 2013
Wow the people are lacking respect towards the Habs in this thread and not a lot of people to stand up for them. This team deserved to be in the finals and beat a Vegas team that was unstoppable after beating the infamous cup favorite Avs.

Also the salt toward Tampa is real. I guess it's the first time I'm in the SQF thread.

We tried to fight with all the strength we had but Tampa is such a powerhouse, well deserved Cup. GG

Reactions: BigGulpsEh

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Mr. Stamkos, i'm pretty sure everyone expected the team that's 18m over the cap to win.
18M over the cap plus about 30% more effective cap spending than their competition. So yeh this season we a foregone conclusion. Welcome to MLB Yankees era of the NHL.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
They had

Vladimir Konstantinov
Nicklas Lidstrom
Larry Murphy

on the Wings in 96-97

and

Sandis Ozolinsh
Adam Foote

on the Avs in 96-97

So, yes. They did. Again, the teams from the 90s were ludicrous. Tampa is them compared to the rest of the team now. But the Wings and Avalanche from the mid 90s until the lockout were loaded beyond belief.

And before you mention them... yes, they had a fourth line who kicked all sorts of ass like Coleman, Goodrow, and others. The fact that it's not ludicrous to argue that Tampa is on the level of those two teams... that's not an insult to what they are. In a cap era, they're pulling off a roster (albeit with some fortunate timing of injuries) that could play with the juggernauts from the past.

Okay, you bring up fair points.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is this another imaginary cap?
Very real. It's why Stamkos didn't take Toronto's much higher bid and chose to stay in Tampa instead. If you don't think taxes have an impact on effective caps of every team then you aren't paying attention.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
On behalf of the Wings, I thank you, Tampa, for avenging their back to back wins streak being taken away by Pittsburgh.

Also for obliterating the Habs.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Very real. It's why Stamkos didn't take Toronto's much higher bid and chose to stay in Tampa instead. If you don't think taxes have an impact on effective caps of every team then you aren't paying attention.
Different places have different draws. Tampa has no control over the taxes in Florida. Stamkos may have had other reasons to re-sign in Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad