SCF Game 5 - Montréal vs Tampa Bay - 8 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Different places have different draws. Tampa has no control over the taxes in Florida. Stamkos may have had other reasons to re-sign in Tampa.
True. And also True. It's not Tampa's fault nor their fans, but the fact remains that franchise can spend most any other franchise. It's an unfair but very real advantage.

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
Congratulations to the Lightning on back to back Cups and thanks for beating the undeserving Habs.

I’ve never seen a goalie as big as Vasilevskiy be THAT quick. He is insanely good.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Very real. It's why Stamkos didn't take Toronto's much higher bid and chose to stay in Tampa instead. If you don't think taxes have an impact on effective caps of every team then you aren't paying attention.

You do realize that
1. Most players if they don't pay state taxes for half their games (they pay state taxes on road games) have to pay more in their federal taxes.
2. Cost of living differences in Florida eat into the lack of taxes.
3. The way things are structed in the NHL most players pay a lower effective tax rate than us regular idiots.
4. Because of their wealth they pay a lower effective tax rate than most of us because they have access to tax professionals.
5. To put a finer point on this: They only don't pay it on home games, they pay taxes on road games.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Wasn’t one of my teams… a Canadian team nobody saw being here and the team that beat my team last Finals.

Some people are throwing a fit but that was an exciting postseason/Finals.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Joseph just said "great f***ing suit" right on live TV at the start of an interview on Sportsnet.

TBoneTRex

May 22, 2021
You’re not supposed to see many dynasties, that’s kind of the point.

I was obviously talking in relation to past decades, the 60s, 70s, 80s. The rules have changed and there are more teams. I am not trying make a case for my team either, I couln't care less whether some sour grapes on HF think we have a dynasty or not. The Blackhawks with their 3 SC wins in recent years were a dynasty.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Pastrnak had the same surgery and was out half a month more.

Your argument is full of crap.
Point had hip surgery and missed the start of last season. Seguin had hip surgery two months before Kucherov followed by having his knee scoped six weeks later and only played three games at the end of this season. Apparently healing and coming back from rehab after four and a half months is too quick for this guy

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
You do realize that
1. Most players if they don't pay state taxes for half their games (they pay state taxes on road games) have to pay more in their federal taxes.
2. Cost of living differences in Florida eat into the lack of taxes.
3. The way things are structed in the NHL most players pay a lower effective tax rate than us regular idiots.
4. Because of their wealth they pay a lower effective tax rate than most of us because they have access to tax professionals.
5. To put a finer point on this: They only don't pay it on home games, they pay taxes on road games.
And people only complain about a good team, no one mentions Florida, Dallas, wherever else.

Reno

Jan 21, 2007
Joseph just said "great f***ing suit" right on live TV at the start of an interview on Sportsnet.

Yeah, well the dude with the mic whose name i can never remember just said "shinny".... i'm pretty sure that's a swear

And if it's not, it should be

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Yeah, well the dude with the mic whose name i can never remember just said "shinny".... i'm pretty sure that's a swear

And if it's not, it should be
Shinny is what they call hockey that is played on a frozen pond or outdoor rink.

I honestly was thinking "sh**ty* though, after what Joseph said.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I never stated I didn't shut up. Don't explain it, it's fine.

Tampa has 5 players who benefit from the lack of state taxes. Those are the 5 American players. Every other player on the team has to pay taxes to their home countries (unless they give up their citizenship). The taxes they pay to their home countries are prorated based on the state and federal taxes they pay in the United States. No state tax=more taxes paid back home. You're talking about a benefit that a lot of players don't actually see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad