SCF Game 2 - 6/01/16 - Sharks at Penguins - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Don't feel bad for the Sharks until the series is over. That's insane.

No you goof. I meant I felt bad for them(in an odd way) because Thorton and co obviously came into the series thinking "gee wiz, if we can just get under Cindy's skin it will be easy. He is so soft. Just look at what Chara, Staal, and Giroux did to them in the playoffs. Just have to get them rattled," so they come out with the faux tough guy routine and the Pens don't even respond and ironically the Sharks whine more in response. Their ego has to be in the toilet right now. And I feel bad for them because I like the Sharks and if any of the aformentioned teams deserved a Cup it is the Sharks. It is just sad and a bit funny that they feel like perennial losers and can't even rough up Crosby the right way.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Glad the Penguins were able to tie this series up. Woulda been a shame to see them go down 3-1 *

* Based upon assumptions of HFBoards fans that San Jose will win both home games easily because their fans cheer loudly

Well there is that last change thing. With the Pens dictating play no matter who is out there, Sullivan didn't actually use it much. Deboer (sp?) will in SJ. Will it make any difference? Who knows?

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The cheating comment is probably just trying to get an edge.

I hope we look like ourselves in San Jose. This is similar to how we played in Nashville. The noise and speed was just too much. We don't have home ice though. So we have to win in Pitt at some point.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I wonder where all the "Western Conference teams are just better" folks are, now? Heard that chorus a dozen times this year on HF, wondered if it was true. The Pens dominance shows that this can't be right. Sharks are playing that allegedly awesome dump-chase-size-cycle game and the Pens are handing their ***** to them.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Well there is that last change thing. With the Pens dictating play no matter who is out there, Sullivan didn't actually use it much. Deboer (sp?) will in SJ. Will it make any difference? Who knows?

Considering how often I saw Crosby against tierney i disagree. Though he may have not used last change in the traditional sense. May have been on the fly.

We did look better when Marleau was moved to the third line. Will it be enough? Guess we will see.

Cam130

May 31, 2016
Have any neutral fans in here seen enough out of the Sharks these first two games to believe that they can realistically win 4 out of the next 5 games???

Cam130

May 31, 2016
The cheating comment is probably just trying to get an edge.

I hope we look like ourselves in San Jose. This is similar to how we played in Nashville. The noise and speed was just too much. We don't have home ice though. So we have to win in Pitt at some point.

The cheating comment is a comment that losers make. The Sharks look like they are the kind of team based on their actions on the ice with Thornton taking swings at Crosby and Couture making this cheating comment of a team coming to grips that maybe this isn't a good matchup for them. The Sharks best players need to do more. Guys like Thornton and Pavelski have been invisible for the first two games.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The thing about the faceoff cheating nonsense that bothers me is that we'll probably get a segment on it during the pregame for game 3.. complete with clips of Crosby winning faceoffs and pundits offering some credibility to some really pathetic whining comments by Couture.

I'd rather see them focus on Thorton's temper tantrums.. far more interesting storyline and the videos are hilarious.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wonder where all the "Western Conference teams are just better" folks are, now? Heard that chorus a dozen times this year on HF, wondered if it was true. The Pens dominance shows that this can't be right. Sharks are playing that allegedly awesome dump-chase-size-cycle game and the Pens are handing their ***** to them.

San Jose's been flying across the continent the last two rounds, with Nashville and St. Louis. Long series, as well.

Game 3 will be the first time in the entire playoffs that Pittsburgh's even left their own time zone, having played New York, Washington and Tampa.

We'll see if it has any impact, but I think it might. That's where the Western conference has an edge, I think, especially the Cali teams.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Have any neutral fans in here seen enough out of the Sharks these first two games to believe that they can realistically win 4 out of the next 5 games???

Nice leading question there :laugh:

I wasn't able to catch the game last night (my roommate has his two year old for the week, and she is sick so the TV was glued to shows for her; I'll try to catch a reply), but I did see them gel after the first period in game 1. Pittsburgh adjusted in the third period, of course, and looked again like the better team. Because of that, I have to say I have not seen enough out of the Sharks to suggest they could win 4 of the next 5 games.

That having been said, all teams are subject to simply not playing well for one reason or another. Pittsburgh is no different, and all of the good things that are happening can stop on a dime in the playoffs. Having not seen anything up to this point that would lead me to believe that San Jose has a realistic chance of coming back in this series doesn't mean they don't come out flying against a Pittsburgh team that strangely isn't clicking in game 3. A win, particularly a convincing win, in game 3 for San Jose could be enough to change my mind, though I doubt it. It's more likely I'd think "OK this may go to six or seven" rather than the 5 game series I currently think this will be.

I don't see Pittsburgh cooling off without a major injury or two to key players, and, since they appear to be the better team when both teams are playing well, they will win this series in a few more games if their key guys stay healthy enough to play through it.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

Well to be fair, 7 of the last 10 cup winners HAVE been from the west. So the narrative does have some merit.

But completely discounting ALL Eastern teams ALWAYS is, of course, ridiculous.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Have a number of thoughts so just going to go through them, not aimed at any one discussion.

Regarding couture, maybe it's just the lack of emotion I have towards the sharks but what he said regarding the cheating thing doesn't really bother me, outside of the implication that only crosby gets away with it because he's favored by the league. Most people that have commented in the media, pundits and players alike have said everyone cheats on faceoffs in one way or another, so it's not some damning accusation by couture outside of again implying it's unique to crosby's status. It might come across as being a bit of a sore loser in this instance, but I don't take away much from it at all, pretty sure it'll be forgotten by game 3.

Interested in seeing how much if at all the home ice advantage of the crowd and last change will enable the sharks to better dictate the play in game 3. If they can prove they can shut down pit's possession advantage for more than just a period at a time like washington or tampa were able to in certain games, I'd give them a better than average chance of making this a series.

If the pens though prove capable of still dictating most of the play with their speed even with the disadvantages of being the away team, I don't see much chance of san jose beating them 4 out of the 5 remaining games. The sharks might still win some games while continuing to have a possession/shot deficit thanks to their expertise in the offensive zone and powerplay, but any luck they might need to count on to do so could just as easily swing in favor of pit in any one game, and since they're closer to 4 wins, winning even one game as a result of lucky breaks in which they didn't outplay the sharks could be all they need to wrap the series up. Think most people will be able to make an accurate prediction of who wins the cup after next game, regardless of the final score.

On that note, if the pens end up holding on and winning the series, I wonder how the copycat effect might change the plans of any other teams going forward, if it does at all. Usually that's a pretty interesting discussion during the summer so wonder how it would play out in this scenario.

Well to be fair, 7 of the last 10 cup winners HAVE been from the west. So the narrative does have some merit.

But completely discounting ALL Eastern teams ALWAYS is, of course, ridiculous.

True, which is why It'll be interesting if this current pens brand of speed and tempo, if it proves successful, changes any mindsets going forward on how to build a roster. Of course it's not exactly easy to acquire the stars on pit out of the blue, just as its not like the big and physical yet skilled players you think of as prototypical western stars just grow on trees.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Rutherford deserves kudos for the trades he made and hiring Sullivan. However, so does Shero. Seems like he and his staff did a pretty good job drafting secondary players, while remaining one of the top teams in the league. Picking late most of the time gives me confidence that he's now drafting for the Devils . If anyone did a horrible job drafting the last decade its Lamoriello and Conte. I know most Pitt fans won't admit it, since they basically accuse Shero of being terrible at drafting.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
San Jose's been flying across the continent the last two rounds, with Nashville and St. Louis. Long series, as well.

Game 3 will be the first time in the entire playoffs that Pittsburgh's even left their own time zone, having played New York, Washington and Tampa.

We'll see if it has any impact, but I think it might. That's where the Western conference has an edge, I think, especially the Cali teams.

There are 2 off days and puck drop is the same time it has been for the Penguins for the last month and a half.

Last change and the knowledge that 3-0 is a huge hill to climb are what the Sharks have going for them.

Cam130

May 31, 2016

I think it could have an impact as well. It's why I like the two day break in between to allow the Pens to get adjusted to the time zone change. But it could definitely have an impact for sure I think especially in game 3.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

Hasnt seemed to be an issue for Chicago and LA...what with their 5 cups in 6 years or whatever.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I've seen enough that they're making me actually root for the Penguins.

And **** that. I don't want to do that.

LA_Viking

Jun 8, 2007
NorCal
Seems like a lot of neutral fans are just glossing over how well the Pens are playing. Apparently the Pens aren't great, San Jose is just playing terribly.

I think many of us expected more of a fight from SJ based on the fact that they have been a really good team thus far in the PO's. But now the cracks are showing, I guess.

Yes, they've only been wins by 1 goal, but the puck possession and speed by the Pens has been really impressive. I'm surprised they haven't won by more goals.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I've seen enough that they're making me actually root for the Penguins.

And **** that. I don't want to do that.

Embrace it dude. While this team might have deserved some hate years ago, they are in general winning with a lot of dignity and respect right now.

My 2nd favorite team was Tampa before this playoffs and still will be even after that epic seven game battle. You guys are going to win at least one in the Hedman Kucherov Drouin era.

Reno

Jan 21, 2007
The thing about the faceoff cheating nonsense that bothers me is that we'll probably get a segment on it during the pregame for game 3.. complete with clips of Crosby winning faceoffs and pundits offering some credibility to some really pathetic whining comments by Couture.

I'd rather see them focus on Thorton's temper tantrums.. far more interesting storyline and the videos are hilarious.

Red Wings fans have been dealing with the same thing with ed olczyk's subtle pick nonsense. Once a meme is created, it never seems to die.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Coming from a neutral fan...

Honestly Jones plus the way the Sharks play at home is why I think the Sharks are not out just yet.

They have been one goal games. Even last night, while Pens easily out played the Sharks, they only got 1 goal in regulation and the Sharks hit like 3 posts in the 3rd. Jones is giving the Sharks a chance to win despite them being out played.

Until sharks lose at home, they have a chance.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Are the Pens getting the short end on the PP s again,,,, Poor little fellas !!

Sharks getting split open by sticks to the face uncalled and this is what we take away from the game ???

Hold the phone. There were two high stickings to the Pens players' face that the refs blatantly missed. I don't even want to begin counting how many times a San Jose player held a Penguins stick. Then you have Couture's dive after a minor love cap from Cole. It would be an excellent gif for the "sniper in the rafters" gig.

Don't blame anything on special teams. That's not been the deciding factor in the series unless you are looking at the Pens PK which has dominated the Sharks PP.

In a similar vein, did anyone catch Ward pulling Murray's mask for no particular reason near the end of the third last night?

I guess people will chalk it up to "playoff hockey" but the Sharks should put that stuff away, worry less about trying to rile up the Penguins, and start worrying about winning some games. Otherwise it just looks like amateur hour.

I did see that and it was bittersweet. On one I stood up said "WTF was that!?" but then inside I knew that Ward imploding and sign the team was imploding as well so I took comfort in it. Poor leadership by Ward and I expected more but...hey, what can ya do, ya know?

I would be shocked if the Sharks were not a dramatically different team at home.

I expect them to be. I'm betting on a split in San Jose.

Rutherford deserves kudos for the trades he made and hiring Sullivan. However, so does Shero. Seems like he and his staff did a pretty good job drafting secondary players, while remaining one of the top teams in the league. Picking late most of the time gives me confidence that he's now drafting for the Devils . If anyone did a horrible job drafting the last decade its Lamoriello and Conte. I know most Pitt fans won't admit it, since they basically accuse Shero of being terrible at drafting.

Yes and no. In my opinion, Shero gets the recognition of drafting them. But it ends 100% there. No more, no less. Shero didn't have special insight on these guys that led him to believe these were diamonds in the rough or anything. Heck, Wilson was taken in the 6th or 7th round. The only time a GM thanking another GM in Pens history would be Shero thanking Craig Patrick. The assets CP amassed were what set Shero up for success. Then when it was all him, it was all aboard the fail train.

Then you look at when these kids became something...it was only after Mike Sullivan was hired at WBS's coach and they called up by JR to play for Sully in the NHL. If this was still Bylsma's or Johnston's team, these kids are no where.

I will thank Shero for making the selections. But if you think it was anything beyond luck that he happen to pick them...I have my doubts. This is Sullivan's work. Not only that but mid season when the Pens were plagued by injury, JR said that they will live and die on the youth of WBS. Something Shero never, EVER would have done (and is such a big part of why he failed in Pittsburgh). Shero wouldn't have given these kids the chance. JR did.

So like I said...Shero gets credit for the selection but it ends there. Nothing about the success of this team and the players right now is on Shero. Nothing.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Typical Sharks playoff performance, they just waited a little longer to start choking this year. No points from Jumbo Joe and his line through the first two games against an undermanned Pens D. What can you do at this point besides start whining to the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad