GDT: SCF G2: Lightning @ Avalanche | 6 PM MT

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yep and this is what I've been saying for the last couple years now. If the Avs don't execute on their system, and move their feet on the forecheck, the system doesn't work. That's what we saw against Vegas.

But when they do execute their system well, they almost have to get unlucky to lose. A hot goaltender (always a possibility with Vasilevskiy) a poor goaltender performance (always a possibility with Darcy) or some bad bounces or injury luck.

Their commitment to Bednar's system all year this season has been very impressive. It's been the key to their success. They've bought in completely, because they saw first hand the consequences of not doing so last year.
I didn't see it quite that way. I think it's partially system-based but also very much personnel-based. The difference between a bottom 4 of : Byram-E.Johnson-Manson-JMFJ and Girard-Graves-Nemeth-Timmins is IMMENSE in terms of understanding NOT to make low percentage plays and just playing a steady and safe game. Vegas capitalized on turnover after turnover and Grubauer wasn't bailing his D out at all.

The other major difference for me anyways, is the 4th line. Having added guys like Cogliano and Helm with their speed and experience have made a MASSIVE difference to this lineup. The price paid for those 2 players -> Helm (free as a UFA) and Cogliano (a 5th round pick) is an absolute joke for what they have been able to provide during this playoff run.

The ice in Florida is going to be awful given the heat there, which will slow the Avs down a lot more than what Tampa can, and might be the biggest advantage Tampa has.

But wouldn't it slow down both teams proportionately??

Omg now we’re worried about the ice lol this shit is over did you not watch that game

The only thing I’m worried about is my game 5 ticket in Denver not being a thing
What happens if there is no game #5? Do you get an automatic refund or do you have to go through hoops to get refunded??

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
TB slowed the game down on the Rangers. But the Rangers aren't anywhere near as fast as the Avalanche.

The Lightning were unable to close with the Avalanche and their coverage was late and they couldn't clog up any of the Avs passing lanes.

The closest comparison I can make is the Avs were a Tier I AAA team playing a Tier II A team.

And uh..... the Avs have been playing better on the road this entire playoff....
Rangers are also a bad team that went farther than they should've. Absolutely brutal 5v5 in every series they played.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I didn't see it quite that way. I think it's partially system-based but also very much personnel-based. The difference between a bottom 4 of : Byram-E.Johnson-Manson-JMFJ and Girard-Graves-Nemeth-Timmins is IMMENSE in terms of understanding NOT to make low percentage plays and just playing a steady and safe game. Vegas capitalized on turnover after turnover and Grubauer wasn't bailing his D out at all.

The other major difference for me anyways, is the 4th line. Having added guys like Cogliano and Helm with their speed and experience have made a MASSIVE difference to this lineup. The price paid for those 2 players -> Helm (free as a UFA) and Cogliano (a 5th round pick) is an absolute joke for what they have been able to provide during this playoff run.

But wouldn't it slow down both teams proportionately??

What happens if there is no game #5? Do you get an automatic refund or do you have to go through hoops to get refunded??
Slow ice would slow down Tampa as well, but it would bring them closer to the Avs as it would hamper the Avs game more imo.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
It's crazy to think that the Avs scored 7 but that they could have had many more goals with so many narrowly missed chances, like these for example:

- Landeskog whiffing on a backdoor play from Mackinnon, and later hitting the top edge of Vasilevsky's pad on another cross-crease pass;

- Manson clocking the left post through traffic;

- Burakovsky hitting the bottom edge of Vasilevsky's blocker and going away from goal instead of creeping into the net;

- Nichuskin being robbed by Vasilevsky's fully outstretched glove.
that translates to 11 - 0 right there
but who does that right :cool::laugh:

man thats classic ! these guys are pumped , almost like they want a ring over a pay cheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Sure the personnel helps, especially having much better defenseman like EJ and Manson, rather than Nemeth and Graves, but the turnovers and mistakes you're referring to happened towards the end of the sieges.

When they came out flat in games 2, 3, and 4 against Vegas and got dominated, that was a perfect example of how the system doesn't work when they don't move their feet. When they started doing so later, they outplayed Vegas, but the mistakes cost them.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Slow ice would slow down Tampa as well, but it would bring them closer to the Avs as it would hamper the Avs game more imo.
Noted that the two games in Colorado so far, the ice has looked good. In 90ish degree days which definitely take a toll. Curious to see what the ice will be like in TB. Maybe if the crew throws down a layer of sand to slow the Avs down?

Reactions: Reparlana

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Sure the personnel helps, especially having much better defenseman like EJ and Manson, rather than Nemeth and Graves, but the turnovers and mistakes you're referring to happened towards the end of the sieges.

When they came out flat in games 2, 3, and 4 against Vegas and got dominated, that was a perfect example of how the system doesn't work when they don't move their feet. When they started doing so later, they outplayed Vegas, but the mistakes cost them.

IIRC in games 5/6 one was even and the other was a slight edge to us.

Nothing like what we’ve been able to do this year

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Toews is one of the smartest blueliners I've seen on the Avs since forever.

In terms of physical gifts he's probably 4th or 5th best but in terms of the ability to play defense he's right there with Makar. Purely off how smart Toews is reading plays and using his stick and body.

Toews ability to create offense by reading the play to jump into the attack or see where there will be an open forward is second to no one.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
IIRC in games 5/6 one was even and the other was a slight edge to us.

Nothing like what we’ve been able to do this year

E3ko-W5u-Xw-AAEAMN-format-jpg-amp-name-large.jpg

Reactions: Nihiliste

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
It's crazy to think that the Avs scored 7 but that they could have had many more goals with so many narrowly missed chances, like these for example:

- Landeskog whiffing on a backdoor play from Mackinnon, and later hitting the top edge of Vasilevsky's pad on another cross-crease pass;

- Burakovsky hitting the bottom edge of Vasilevsky's blocker and going away from goal instead of creeping into the net;

Also, 2nd period breakaways by LOC and Nuke. Avs easily could have added a FG to the TD.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Manson could have had a hat trick. All from the same spot I think too.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
What's your take on the Kuemper contract situation? What will he ask for in term/aav, and where do you think the Avs should draw the line given his performance so far this season?
He's not going to get the Grubauer contract but he'll get something close to it. For me he's such a hard goalie to pin down because off the top of my head I look at his age but also the lack of mileage. Then there's the success he's had behind the system but can he continue playing the way the Avs want him too as he gets older. His regular season results were really good (like top 5/10) but how do you parse out the playoff numbers? Right now I haven't dug enough into him to know how much I really want to keep him because if you let him go what are the replacements?

LeafAttack

Feb 18, 2019
Take it from a Leafs fan, you got this. You are a better version of us. Our speed had them in the first round, but we lost. You guys have more team speed than we do, but I get it. If we were there I would hate promising comments too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad