GDT: SCF G1: Tampa Bay Lightning @ Colorado Avalanche (8pm ET)

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
You know what's interesting about some opinions* about Kuemper is that when we played the Coyotes...two(?)...seasons ago, in the playoffs, we had lots of posters saying stuff along the lines of, "man I wish we had a goalie like Kuemper". Now that has completely flipped and we're all worried about the next time he's gonna shat his pants
Yes this is exactly my point. He never been this bad in the past. Something is wrong.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Yes this is exactly my point. He never been this bad in the past. Something is wrong.
My best guess is that it's "big game" jitters. He's only ever played on teams like the Coyotes, the Kings when they were on a downswing, and some playoff games in Minnesota. Some people just get more nervous than others when the burden of their task gets monumentally more important and being a #1 goalie on a team aspiring for a championship is a lofty expectation.

Hopefully, if this is the case, he can start to just relax and find his game. Someone hook him up with Nate's sports psychologist!!

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Hey guys the plan went really wrong ! I drank then slept for a few hours, I woke up to see the game after 3 minutes but I couldn’t stay awake 🙄

So I just looked at the game tape delayed and of course the Avs didn’t give me an easy night after the first period 😰

But all is good now, we got the first win, and we will only get better, Bura and Kuemper got some good break here, now we have a really good team for game 2, let’s GO Avs 😎

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You know what's interesting about some opinions* about Kuemper is that when we played the Coyotes...two(?)...seasons ago, in the playoffs, we had lots of posters saying stuff along the lines of, "man I wish we had a goalie like Kuemper". Now that has completely flipped and we're all worried about the next time he's gonna shat his pants
It’s just the level of goalie he is. He’s a starter and that’s all there is to it, like Grub or someone like Elliott. Once you start to consistently play the best of the best your weaknesses start to show a lot more than they do in the RS where you play a lot worse players.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Kuemper is a very "body motion" type of goaler. I am pretty sure Tocchett also mentioned at times during TNT intermissions, but when Kuemper is on his game, he is in control of his body movements and rarely conducts over the top or needless motion. Look at overtime as one example, Tampa had a quality chance because Darcy was flopping about like a beach whale. For majority of the playoffs he's been overly aggressive and just conducting too many body movements like he's MAF but without any of his flexibility, telling me that he's fighting it out there.

I compare goaltending to drumming, one of the best ways you can determine a great drummer from an average or good one is lack of over-the-top movements. Just look at the drum styles between Neil Peart and Travis Barker. I love both drummers, but Barker doesn't come close to the technique that Peart displays in either one's music since Neil's style is always straight to the point and with purpose.
Love the comparison and have always agreed.

The best drummers 'seem' low key yet do so much. If John Bonham started goaltending as a youngster he'd be a .950 career netminder with multiple cups.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
DK hasn't played in 2 weeks and needs to get his timing back.

Y'all come in off the ledge and enjoy the Cup Finals, we're up 1 game to none.

PS- The best thing JTC did last night was skate into a couple of opposing players to create space for the game winner. Seeing the ice, shooting the puck, stick handling, passing to teammates- he gets a D-.

PPS- MacK was over-passing the puck last night and his passes did not reach their intended targets, he just needs to shoot.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Good news for us.

Hopefully playing on it doesn’t allow him to continue to improve.

I thought Hedman looked real sluggish too. I thought I read somewhere on the boards that he’s dealing with an injury and hasn’t looked good for a while.

Those are 2 major pieces for them playing at limited capacity.

The fist contact Hedman took to the head he went straight to the ref last night. I think there’s definitely something there, Avs should be going higher on him every chance they get.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There's something more going on right now. He's not comfortable in net. Maybe it's as simple as big game gitters, I don't know. What I do know is that he's never looked this bad before. We stomped DK a few years a go playing Arizona, but even when we put up 7 against him, he never looked this skittish and out of sorts.

He may be a mediocre to bad goaltender, but this is JoJo levels of suck right now. That was never him before.
Some people are more comfortable playing when there are no expectations. Kuemper was fine in that series against the Avs because the stakes werent high and they were expected to lose. Alot simpler to play in those conditions then now. Hes not the first goalie to look like the situation has gotten to him and he wont be the last. The JoJo comparison is bang on because thats exactly what he looks like right now.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Don’t overthink it DK just ain’t that good man.

The thing is, he’s had great stretches this season. He’s capable for being damn good.

The funny part is, he as great against top teams this season. I thought that might bode well for the playoffs, but it hasn’t.

He deserves another start because he was coming off the long layoff though.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
DK hasn't played in 2 weeks and needs to get his timing back.

Y'all come in off the ledge and enjoy the Cup Finals, we're up 1 game to none.

PS- The best thing JTC did last night was skate into a couple of opposing players to create space for the game winner. Seeing the ice, shooting the puck, stick handling, passing to teammates- he gets a D-.

PPS- MacK was over-passing the puck last night and his passes did not reach their intended targets, he just needs to shoot.

I was legit stunned when MacK passed that drop pass from Makar. He had an open land and tried that pass to the middle. I thought he played well overall though.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Avs should be hitting the shit out of Point every chance they get. Easier said than done but when you get a chance you hit him like he owes you child support.
Hit him just like Stamkos hit Byram.

View attachment 559298
Dude in the Jason goalie mask is my uncle’s (via marriage to my mom’s sister, confused yet?) brother. :laugh:
How do people afford those 1st row seats during SCF? They must cost like 10K per seat or something.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
The reason the Avs I think will beat Tampa and Vasilevski is going to be shots on goal and high danger chances. The Avs are getting 35-45 shot s every single game, have done it all playoffs and all season long. The Rangers we’re getting just over 20 shots per game. Vasilevski is a great goalie but the more shots the Avs get the more that are going to go in. Tampa we’re no better handling the Avs then the Preds,Blues or Oilers.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Look I WANT to like Kuemper. But this isn’t like an abnormal play for him…he’s been straight bad since the 2nd week of April. If anything, we have to consider this his norm until he strings together some games that show otherwise.
Do you really have more faith in Frankie? He may have given up 1 goal last night or could have given up 5, we really don't know. Fact is the team won with what they got and to a goalie and coach that is the only stat that matters in the SCF. Every goalie and team wants to play better in the next game, but in the playoffs its silly to talk about how his save percentage or his gaffes are unacceptable. Did the team win the game is all that matters.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone shouted out JTC for his role in the play? After his shot was blocked, he got right in Vasi's face. Vasi couldn't see anything and so he thought Nichushkin had shot and that's why half the net was open.
Vasi was a 1/4 of a mile out of position. If Kuemper had done that we'd melt the HF servers.

Even one of the best goalies currently in the game gets out of position. Statue of Liberty, anyone?

Last edited:

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
First off hell to the yes! What a win what from the guys. Tampa tried to play their game and the Avs tried to play theirs....and it's the Avs who managed to control the game more then came out with the win. They could have allowed nerves, the blown lead, etc to get them down and sucked into Tampa's game but they didn't. They stuck to their process and came out with a well deserved win. Best part is the Avs can still give more. Better puck management & toning down just how big their mistakes are.

I do want to address the Kuemper discourse. For those wanting Kuemper to "steal" games and post .950 SV% he's going to have only allow one goal a game. With the way Tampa plays and the way the Avs play the shot volume isn't going to be there to inflate his SV%. Tampa is a high quality, low quantity shot team. The Avs are playing Blues 2.0 in this series and it's never going to be favourable to the team who dominates possession wise like the Avs. With the finishing/high end ability Tampa has we're just not going to keep them to one goal each game. It just doesn't happen in the NHL especially to a team like Tampa.

Kuemper was fine this game. He didn't look lost, he reacted to situations in a way that made it obvious he's keeping up with the play, liked his rebound control so he wasn't giving Tampa additional Grade A opportunities, and after that 3rd goal he really shut it down. As for the 3rd goal...it's questionable to let it. You don't really want to let in one from that range but if that's Makar or MacKinnon scoring that we're impressed with the shot, not blaming the opposing goalie.

When you're in a series like this you have one goal only as the goalie, allow one fewer goal than the other guy because you're just never going to see their volume of work overall....you're just going to see all the high danger stuff.
Butbutbut kUeMpEr sUCKs!1!1!1!

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
I say we should be optimistic regarding the goaltending situation. DK is definitely showing nerves , this is after all for all the marbles.
Like a musician returning from injury time off and then being asked to play drums for Led Zeppelin in front of 20K + for a possible 7 night tour. And @ 3 of the shows the crowd hates Led Zeppelin.
If periods are songs , he is now three tunes into the show and the crowd is roaring !
Settle in and enjoy it Darcy , the rest of the band will play to your beat , be a Rock Star !
Don't make me burn my albums :D

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Do you really have more faith in Frankie? He may have given up 1 goal last night or could have given up 5, we really don't know. Fact is the team won with what they got and to a goalie and coach that is the only stat that matters in the SCF. Every goalie and team wants to play better in the next game, but in the playoffs its silly to talk about how his save percentage or his gaffes are unacceptable. Did the team win the game is all that matters.
This is the way I’m looking at it. He hasn’t looked great but he’s the best option we have at the moment, imo. To me, he looked better last night than he has in a while, hopefully he’s gotten a little bit of his legs underneath him and can get better from here.

I also like the idea of Frankie coming off the bench if Kuemper can’t hack it. I think he’s better in that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad