Post-Game Talk: "Scared" Rangers def Pens in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
In the eyes of the organization... IC is correct. They see Scuds babysitting him. I'm pretty sure the organization does not value despres. I'm sold on it actually.

I can't even imagine this being true...

After what was said during the firing of RS/hiring of JR (about the team's mis-use of young guys -- strongly implying Despres in particular), that would seem to refute the idea that the organization does not value him.

On the other hand, if somehow this is true, it has to be the one of the most ridiculous, blind assessments I've seen in some time. I do not know how you cannot watch at least the last 5 games, and see outstanding play, at both ends of the ice, from this kid...

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I started prospect watching when I was a kid in the mid 90s. Followed the Jacks farm and such..

In the 20 some odd years I've followed this org farm, they have been DESPERATELY searching for a guy like Despres. A big, physical guy that can move the puck. They have wasted countless picks and made countless trades, but never could find the big two way blueliner they coveted so much.

Now after over a two decade search he is here and showing off exactly why this org has coveted a guy like him for so long....

If the brass of this org trades him, they are utter fools. It will be another 20 years before they find another one like him again.

Nice post. Stated much more eloquently that what I was trying to say above.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I really kind of hope Martin's on the trade-block come Jan. 2nd. He's been bad of late, and in a contract year to boot.

Yep. It's time to move on from Martin, no matter if he's playing well or not.

I've seen him play very well and it didn't mean a lick in the playoffs. At his best, he's reading plays and his stick does most of the work. He's very soft and his tenure here SHOULD be over imo.

Would rather pay the better PP guy who has a bomb of a shot in Erhoff and move on from Martin. Get the more physical Despres playing in the top 4.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
What if the inverse is true.... Haha. They're playing Despres with Scuds on purpose to show how valuable he is. "Look how well he can make your garbage 6D play? You need to give us something good for this kid." Then we trade Despres and keep Scuds.. forever. :laugh: :cry:

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
I don't think that Scuderi should be played during four-on-four situations. However, Despres and Scuderi are clearly playing well together as a tandem. Does Despres need more minutes? Yes, but they should come on the PP and the PK (with Scuderi, ideally). That bottom pairing is rock solid and, frankly, Scuderi is playing his role well.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah the biggest problem with how Scuds is being utilized is during 4 on 4. There is never an excuse in OT to have him out there in a 4 on 4 situation. With the personnel we have, we should be going guns ablaze in the 4 on 4. Scuds' skating has been exposed several times there. Guys like Letang, Ehrhoff, Maatta, and Despres should be the only D playing in a 4 on 4. Martin too I guess, I'm intentionally leaving him out of things like this hoping he is traded.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Absolutely. I have no idea why they are still doing that. It makes no sense. It's like they don't want to take advantage of the extra space 4 v 4 affords, or something.

Another thing I mentioned during this game that irked me is the absolute insistence on sticking to their "2 rushes and done" powerplay strategy. Listen... if you had two real units, maybe that's a good idea. If the second unit ever looked anything other than abysmal... sure. But pulling your top unit while down in a game with ~1:00 still left on the man advantage when your best player on the second unit currently is... Goc? That's dumb.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
What if the inverse is true.... Haha. They're playing Despres with Scuds on purpose to show how valuable he is. "Look how well he can make your garbage 6D play? You need to give us something good for this kid." Then we trade Despres and keep Scuds.. forever. :laugh: :cry:

Scuderi has value on the trade market and Despres couldn't get Jim Rutherford a conditional draft pick at this point, contrary to the beliefs of the Despres fan club.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Absolutely. I have no idea why they are still doing that. It makes no sense. It's like they don't want to take advantage of the extra space 4 v 4 affords, or something.

Another thing I mentioned during this game that irked me is the absolute insistence on sticking to their "2 rushes and done" powerplay strategy. Listen... if you had two real units, maybe that's a good idea. If the second unit ever looked anything other than abysmal... sure. But pulling your top unit while down in a game with ~1:00 still left on the man advantage when your best player on the second unit currently is... Goc? That's dumb.

Agreed all around. I am fine changing the D, but Sid and Geno should be out there damn near the full 2 minutes unless they are gassed.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I am the biggest critic of Scuds on this board, for obvious reasons (contract, bad play and total lack of offensive ability and blocking young D for playing time). Now with 1/3 of the season gone and Scuds playing in all roles except PP, I must conclude he is probably here for the duration of his contract. I repeat, he is untradeable unless as a throw-in in a blockbuster Crosby, Malkin Letang trade, which is not going to happen.

Now before saying he is tradeable, any one must first state what the pens would give up for him based on his age, playing ability and contract. I know Murray due to Shero's stupidity cost the pens Two #2s.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I am the biggest critic of Scuds on this board, for obvious reasons (contract, bad play and total lack of offensive ability and blocking young D for playing time). Now with 1/3 of the season gone and Scuds playing in all roles except PP, I must conclude he is probably here for the duration of his contract. I repeat, he is untradeable unless as a throw-in in a blockbuster Crosby, Malkin Letang trade, which is not going to happen.

Now before saying he is tradeable, any one must first state what the pens would give up for him based on his age, playing ability and contract. I know Murray due to Shero's stupidity cost the pens Two #2s.

Maybe if Shero and Bylsma were still in charge this would be the case. I simply find it difficult to believe that Johnston and JR aren't fully aware of Scuderi's shortcomings and are placing him in a position where Despres masks his deficiencies and increases his value. Scuderi has an albatross of a contract for a team that management has admitted needs an infusion of top 6 talent and which has a backlog of good, young, cheap NHL ready D in their system. Unloading Scuderi should be a no-brainer and not at all impossible if he continues to increase his perceived value by being paired with Despres. If he's not gone by the trade deadline then I guess I'll have to face the fact that we've hired a GM and HC that are clones of our previous deaf, dumb and blind position holders.

Last edited:

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I maintain Scuds is untradeable.

If he were on another team and his contract status was the same and his playing capabilities the same, would you as the pens GM trade for him and if so what would you give up. IMO, the answer is hell no. IMO, no other team will trade for scuds and give the pens anything for him. That is why the NHL lets teams get rid of bad players with bad contracts using the buy-out procedure.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I maintain Scuds is untradeable.

If he were on another team and his contract status was the same and his playing capabilities the same, would you as the pens GM trade for him and if so what would you give up. IMO, the answer is hell no. IMO, no other team will trade for scuds and give the pens anything for him. That is why the NHL lets teams get rid of bad players with bad contracts using the buy-out procedure.

The Pens' needs clearly are not for a player with Rob Scuderi's skill set. That doesn't mean that another NHL club wouldn't have an interest in him as an experienced stay-at-home D who has been an integral part of two Stanley Cup champion teams.

I'm not suggesting that other clubs will part with any assets of great value but I wouldn't be surprised that the Pens might get a 2nd round pick for him. It's also possible to leverage him into a deal involving one of our assets that another team desperately wants (Letang, Sutter, Pouliot for instance) enough to accept him. Letting him go cheaply is all I reasonably expect and even then we get the advantages of opening additional cap space and giving playing time to one of Harrington or Dumoulin or Bortuzzo who need NHL experience to round out their games.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
In hockey buzz.com, a proposed scuds for Vinny trade was nixed by a flyer fan saying we don't need any more bad defensemen. :nod::nod::nod::nod:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pens' needs clearly are not for a player with Rob Scuderi's skill set. That doesn't mean that another NHL club wouldn't have an interest in him as an experienced stay-at-home D who has been an integral part of two Stanley Cup champion teams.

I'm not suggesting that other clubs will part with any assets of great value but I wouldn't be surprised that the Pens might get a 2nd round pick for him. It's also possible to leverage him into a deal involving one of our assets that another team desperately wants (Letang, Sutter, Pouliot for instance) enough to accept him. Letting him go cheaply is all I reasonably expect and even then we get the advantages of opening additional cap space and giving playing time to one of Harrington or Dumoulin or Bortuzzo who need NHL experience to round out their games.

Issue is the NTC. Any team that is willing to offer a 2nd round is a team not in playoffs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't even imagine this being true...

After what was said during the firing of RS/hiring of JR (about the team's mis-use of young guys -- strongly implying Despres in particular), that would seem to refute the idea that the organization does not value him.

On the other hand, if somehow this is true, it has to be the one of the most ridiculous, blind assessments I've seen in some time. I do not know how you cannot watch at least the last 5 games, and see outstanding play, at both ends of the ice, from this kid...

I don't want to believe it either.... But IC brought some good points up. Who got demoted to seventh when we're were healthy for one game lol? His minutes get pushed back at times too. Scuds wears the A. There are a lot of hints out there.

It makes me sick writing that.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Didn't realize I was in a thread of potential GMs spitballing sure fire options. Apologies.

[COLOR="black"]Name a team that would want Scuderi that is a playoff contender right now.

There is no contending team that would want him and there is no rebuilding team that wants him. If any one thinks otherwise, before you say he is tradeable, name the team that would take him. THERE IS NONE THAT WOULD do it.

The pens don't need to play him, he should be the 7th D and then bought out in JUNE. The pens are stuck with him. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There is no contending team that would want him and there is no rebuilding team that wants him. If any one thinks otherwise, before you say he is tradeable, name the team that would take him. THERE IS NONE THAT WOULD do it.

The pens don't need to play him, he should be the 7th D and then bought out in JUNE. The pens are stuck with him. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

He's been a solid number six for us all season and even has stepped up in the absence of Letang and Maatta. I don't really want him on the team, but there is no reason to buy him out or not play him.

Trade Martin, and let Dumo / Harrington get some experience.

Or don't trade Martin and keep our d-core in hopes of winning the cup this year. I mean look how the Boychuk situation turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad