OT: Scandy's Rave Party: The Fun Never Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, Japan was amazing! I was really hoping I'd have the blog up and running by now so I'd have something to share, but it's been a struggle since I got back. It's been nothing too terrible, just too many life changes happening at once for my body to handle in stride.

My goal is to get a gallery of pictures properly edited so I can share some before Christmas. Trying to learn a ton bunch of Adobe programs I'd never touched before with an exhausted, ADHD-riddled brain has been a Sisyphean task thus far.

In Japan I didn't wind up making it any further south than Osaka, but I definitely will be back. Sapporo Snow Festival and Southern Japan are near the top of my to-see list.

Cool. Post 'em up when you get the chance to ready them. I love checking out cool pictures from peoples travels. I have tons of cool pictures from Honduras, well, I think they are cool for those who never experienced turd world countries it is quite a shock to see how people live outside of the states. Actually, most of the world outside of the states and some modern countries in europe etc etc are shit holes.

Adobe (photoshop for me) is a bitch to learn, so many freaking menu's and effects to use and stuff to tinker with. I feel your pain there heh.

You like living in LA? Seems like such an expensive dump to live in... unless you are super wealthy that is where you can just ignore the problems and live it up. I have a good friend who I was in the service with, whos is always inviting me to come to San Jose and stay indefinitely, which I'm sort of tempted to, maybe get a high paying job at one of the tech places, but I figure it would be too rough, landing 100k there is like probably equal to making a measly 30k here in pa.
I even turned down a federal job in DC that paid 60k because it kind of wasn't enough to get a house, move the family into a NICE part of town, deal with the traffic, etc etc... 60k in pa is golden and in DC I would be basically barely above the squalor line.

Anywhere in your travels you would want to live... I mean that were nice enough and decent enough for an american to relocate to?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I hate packing and moving. What even is all of this stuff and when/where did we get it?
Oh it is horrible. Every year or so I had to move and relocate in the military. When I went IA (deployed) i had to put my car in storage and move all my stuff all over the place or sell it.
When I finally got out of the service they give you a free moving service to move all your stuff to your home of origin (where you lived when you signed up) and if you relocate they only cover the distance it would be to transfer things to your origin. So if you only lived 100 miles away and moved to say California from the east coast you would have to cover the 2,000 + miles.

But that moving company was incredibly tedious. They took out a king sized bed, giant dressers and mirrors and washers and dryers, holy shit was it a major pain in the ass. THEN I had to get all that stuff into my new residence, which was a nightmare.
Man... moving when your a 20yo kid is so easy and then when you get a family / kids / stock piles of shit you never knew you had, like you said, maaaaaaan it is incredibly stressful.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Cool. Post 'em up when you get the chance to ready them. I love checking out cool pictures from peoples travels. I have tons of cool pictures from Honduras, well, I think they are cool for those who never experienced turd world countries it is quite a shock to see how people live outside of the states. Actually, most of the world outside of the states and some modern countries in europe etc etc are **** holes.

Adobe (photoshop for me) is a ***** to learn, so many freaking menu's and effects to use and stuff to tinker with. I feel your pain there heh.

You like living in LA? Seems like such an expensive dump to live in... unless you are super wealthy that is where you can just ignore the problems and live it up. I have a good friend who I was in the service with, whos is always inviting me to come to San Jose and stay indefinitely, which I'm sort of tempted to, maybe get a high paying job at one of the tech places, but I figure it would be too rough, landing 100k there is like probably equal to making a measly 30k here in pa.
I even turned down a federal job in DC that paid 60k because it kind of wasn't enough to get a house, move the family into a NICE part of town, deal with the traffic, etc etc... 60k in pa is golden and in DC I would be basically barely above the squalor line.

Anywhere in your travels you would want to live... I mean that were nice enough and decent enough for an american to relocate to?

I don't love LA, but I like the neighborhood I live in. This isn't the place I'd pick to live if I had absolute freedom to do so, but I'm staying here for the interim mostly for health reasons. I need to live in a drier climate with quality healthcare and for travel purposes I need access to a major airport. As much as I'd prefer living somewhere much smaller and colder, there's as many downsides to anywhere I could move as there are here and the act of moving is not something that I exactly want to do, so for now I remain. All of the places that I'd want to live in this country come with major downsides for me...Portland, Seattle, and Pittsburgh are all too wet for my back to tolerate and I'd rather forfeit my citizenship than live in Arizona. I've had multiple doctors push for New Mexico, but that would make it more difficult to travel.

There are many places I'd love to relocate to outside of the country, but the downsides are just as plentiful as a unilingual writer with a ton of health problems whose only hope of getting a citizenship elsewhere would be to marry into it. I wouldn't be against that, but I don't exactly have anyone in Finland offering :laugh:
Sapporo really struck me in my brief time there in Japan. Sapporo struck the perfect balance of what I'd want in a city to live in...but learning Japanese would be hopeless for me and Sapporo isn't exactly a desert (the massive difference in snow doesn't matter to me since snow is dry and doesn't bother me a fraction as much as rain or humidity does...but Sapporo also gets more rain than Pittsburgh so there goes that argument).

The biggest issue for me is just that there really are no perfect places for me. Ideally I'd be able to split the year between two places, but that's not exactly easily done. I want snowy winters and dry, cool summers. Spring/Summer in Iceland; Autumn/Winter in Montana has long been the completely unfeasible dream.

Cost of living will inevitably drive me out of LA if I'm going to be traveling a lot, rent and whatnot is just too high if I'm not going to be using it every day, but California is sadly saving me more in healthcare costs than it's robbing me with the other aspects of cost of living for the time being.

Reactions: shoplifter

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So the new Xbox Series X will have native 4k support they claim.

Yeeeeeeah right! Get out of here with that nonsense. What will the resolution be 800x600 at 10 fps on very low settings?

Even top end gaming pc's struggle to hit 60fps on a decent resolution and ultra settings at 4k.

Why don't they just put out 1080p/60fps on ultra settings? Consoles can barely do that today, yet they will handle 4k next gen? Get out of here with that gimmick.
1080/60 ultra settings is more than good enough for gaming. I bet consoles couldn't even handle 1440p/60fps on ultra settings... yet they claim native 4k. What a gimmick.
Apparently it will have the ability to also show 8k when that's a thing.

What a machine. #jeremyclarksonvoice

Reactions: shoplifter

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just wrapped up my visit to the Museum of Pop Culture.

Not really related to the above, but damn Seattle is expensive.
I really miss living there. I regret selling my place there, it was always a possibility while I still had that place but now it's just a city that I used to live in.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
How do you guys who live on the West coast manage to catch most Pens games? Do you work from home or record the games, work early hours?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
OK, so Ovi...

Even if he breaks 99's goal record, I still have issues thinking of him as the Greatest Player Ever.

Maybe the Greatest Shot Ever, but there's more to the game than just that.
Ovechkin relies heavily on his linemates to help feed him the puck. The guy has had an elite playmaker his whole career and he's just an elite shot. You put two and two together and you've got what Ovys career is. He's the best shot the league has ever witnessed. But Gretzky did the work himself for his goals. He was the elite playmaker and scorer on his line.

It's why I laugh at the idiots on the mainboard that don't get what top 10 really means and why Crosby has an argument. The guy is fantastic at both ends of the rink and is an elite passer and can score like an elite sniper. He is the most complete player the NHL has had in decades. Yet some morons that just have access to f***ing Wikipedia, think they know it all about some of the legends based on just their stats.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
How do you guys who live on the West coast manage to catch most Pens games? Do you work from home or record the games, work early hours?

Pens radio on phone while commuting. But I work nights with bad reception, so usually, can only watch extended highlights on NHL YouTube these days. I'm not one to watch whole games days after they happen so NHL APP doesn't help me.

Worst case scenario, on day shift, you miss the first period or so, easily can record that and fast forward through stoppages to catch up to real-time.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I work part time so I can usually see most. When I was full time I started earlier on Pens game days so I could get home in time.

I actually prefer the 4:30 timeslot

Reactions: dogthateats

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
@Big McLargehuge, did you get to Kyoto/Osaka while you were in Japan? My girl and I are taking a short trip there while we’re in Taiwan.

How did you find the language barrier in Japan?

I spent a good chunk of time in Osaka, making the short trip to Kyoto a couple times. Kyoto is a definite can't miss and I'll definitely be back to see more of it. I utilized a couple small group tours and suggest the same as they were a great way to be introduced to the cities by passionate locals (not an advertisement as I paid full price: I used Magical-Trip.com and had great experiences; PM me if you want specific recommendations). The language barrier will be a thing outside of touristy areas and the tours really helped me get around that aspect, but Japanese people are very helpful and pretty damn good at communicating without words. The Olympics coming means most everything has English signage as well as Japanese, so that helped a lot with getting around. Osaka is confusing as shit to get around regardless of that as a tourist. There's multiple competing rail lines, so be forewarned that there will be multiple stations with the same or similar names. The transportation in Osaka is definitely a step Osaka is a weird city...it's simultaneously hideous and incredibly cool. Dotonbori is the rare 'cool' district that legitimately lives up to the hype, at least in my opinion. Takoyaki quickly became my new favorite street food. As far as Kyoto is concerned Gion & Fushimi Inari were highlights of my trip.

I mostly set my own schedule, so having games at 4 is pretty amazing. I love being able to still have a semblance of evening remaining after a game. Having to miss most of the game thanks to sitting on the freeway would definitely put a damper on things...but now I get actively annoyed when I have to stay up to watch hockey.

Honestly I'll take the earlier games on weekdays. It's the early starts on weekends that annoy me. I have never and will never be in the mood to watch a sporting event before I've had a chance to down a pot of coffee. I think the biggest reason my interest in soccer plateaued is because I just refuse to wake up early enough to watch European games that start in the middle of the damn night here. It was one thing to stay up until 4am to watch Pens game from Europe, it's another to wake up at 4am on a Sunday for a team that didn't represent 90% of what you cared about as a child.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I can't stop playing Fallout New Vegas...
I donno if it's cause it's so fun or I modded it so much it's incredible how much you can change the game.
I think modding makes games on pc... if the new Xbox SX can allow mods I may pick it up.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Think I had a dodgy donair. In other news someone needs to clean my sink.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Miss the first period and listen to a radio feed on the commute. Or just leave work early and watch while finishing up your day. You also have to understand the majority of us in California are likely missing the games anyway given the non-stop beautiful weather. Or you know watching it at some coast side beach bar that is run by transplants.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Man, the Ministry of the Interior in Prague is the saddest place ever.

6e8a200e62811b7b805ec186d206e87a.jpg
5ad50ad8231f1.image.jpg

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

My grand mothers neighbor who I talk to quite often during the warm weather seasons because we are all outside more often just had his sister od the other week.
Down the street this guy od'd like 3 times in a month.

It's freaking crazy how often people are od'ing around me in PA. My freaking good friend od'd 3 months ago.

The ones I know of are surviving because of narcan.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm watching that movie/documovie 'Free Solo' about that maniac that free climbs that el captain in yosemite.

This guy has balls of steel to climb that high with no rope. the footage makes me nauseous.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm watching that movie/documovie 'Free Solo' about that maniac that free climbs that el captain in yosemite.

This guy has balls of steel to climb that high with no rope. the footage makes me nauseous.

I’ve been meaning to watch that. Doesn’t he also have a family too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad