Say It Ain't So, Doan!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Hope he goes wherever he wants. He deserves it. If it's a conditional 7th round pick with the condition being the world ends before the draft, still do it.

Even if it's LA, I'll cheer my ass off for the Kings in the playoffs.

Agree, though I often watch and cheer for the Kings.

This, Doan has earned all the respect in the world from me, and it wouldn't tarnish his legacy at all to not have played his entire career with the Yotes franchise. Let him go win a cup.

Not at all. It could be done in a manner that benefits him and the Coyotes. The experience would only serve him in the next phase of his Hockey career.

He can still work on his goal of bringing the Cup to the organization, by returning as a GM, coach, scout or the like.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What would Arizona fans want from the Sharks for both Doan and Vrbata? For something like that to work, they'd have to take on Tommy Wingels and maybe one other contract like Micheal Haley plus whatever compensation for the two.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Like mentioned in the other thread, I totally disagree with the idea that Doan has never reciprocated interest in playing for other teams. He actually had in-person style wine and dines with a handful of other teams and received many offers in 2012. His return was not clear cut then and that's been a bit white washed here.

Otherwise that's actually one of Morgans better articles in quite awhile. "questioning motives" and "fractured ownership group". It's almost like Doan's mild discontent has given the press a bit of cover :laugh:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

It's incorrect to assume that just because he wants a trade he is unhappy. I have looked for other work to gain higher pay and/or advancement opportunities; does not mean I'm unhappy at the present job, just looking for more. Wanting more is a normal human condition and not necessarily an indication of happiness.

The whole quote about not being emotionally invested in the game is IMO about not being in playoff contention, not necessarily unhappy.

I'm happy I got that off my chest.

Edit: I'm, sitting here thinking about this and it occurred to me how bad it is for the captain to make that statement about not being emotionally invested. You don't win games, particularly at the pro level, unless you are "all in". Him expressing this has surely spread throughout the team.

Some of you talk about DT losing the team; Doan has lost the team as captain. Very disappointed, and not indicative of the type of leader I thought he was. Leadership is easy when you are winning. It's times like these that real leaders shine. Hate to say it, but time for Doan to go.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Interesting article, except for the fact of saying that Holland was a waiver claim (we actually traded a conditional pick for him). Morgan seems to have a decent reputation as a sportswriter, but it's pretty bad that he forgot about that. Sure, Holland may have been waived eventually, but TipKa actually decided to trade for him.

I also like how Chayka seems to take the hit, but there is no discussion related to the "newly-promoted" Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations (who also serves as Head Coach) in the discussion of shortfalls in Hockey Ops. this just seems to lead me to believe (as someone mentioned in another thread--I think), that Chayka will take the hit at the end of the season.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to sell the team at the end of this season to avoid having to fire Tippett.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Craig is such an idiot.

First, not a bad word said about Tippett, just Chayka thrown under the bus for no real reason.

Again, this is the first year of the new hockey operations department. You don’t change the look and fortunes of a team in one season, and it’s not fair to pile the failures of the past hockey operations department on this one.

It's not the first year, which means it's completely fair.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I agree with MIG. It's pretty awful for the captain to come out and say he's not emotionally invested. That isn't leadership, nor the kind of attitude you want when wearing the'C'.

This year had just been a disaster

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What chaps my ass about Doan is that he was largely catered to his entire stint here, by keeping his friends around as long as possible, and even doing other things like hiring his buddy Nash.

He can be as prideful as he wants but what the organization is doing (in the general sense) is the right thing and the thing they never did with Doan around in his prime, for various reasons.

The leadership has sucked on this team since the departure of guys like Aucoin and Morris. Part of that is coaching but I imagine part of it is Doan and Co. not really living up to things on their end.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
What would Arizona fans want from the Sharks for both Doan and Vrbata? For something like that to work, they'd have to take on Tommy Wingels and maybe one other contract like Micheal Haley plus whatever compensation for the two.

I think a 2nd or 3rd would be enough. And we'd gladly take whatever players you want to get rid of so we can keep young players down in Tuscon competing for a championship.

Interesting article, except for the fact of saying that Holland was a waiver claim (we actually traded a conditional pick for him). Morgan seems to have a decent reputation as a sportswriter, but it's pretty bad that he forgot about that. Sure, Holland may have been waived eventually, but TipKa actually decided to trade for him.

I also like how Chayka seems to take the hit, but there is no discussion related to the "newly-promoted" Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations (who also serves as Head Coach) in the discussion of shortfalls in Hockey Ops. this just seems to lead me to believe (as someone mentioned in another thread--I think), that Chayka will take the hit at the end of the season.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to sell the team at the end of this season to avoid having to fire Tippett.

Craig is such an idiot.

First, not a bad word said about Tippett, just Chayka thrown under the bus for no real reason.

It's not the first year, which means it's completely fair.

I don't really see that article as throwing Chayka under the bus. But when he was criticized, Tippett was included. Morgan also followed up one critical paragraph by praising the additions of Crouse, DeAngelo and Chychrun
Doan never imagined that would happen and it opened his eyes to the possibility that the new hockey operations department — president Gary Drummond, executive vice president (and coach) Dave Tippett and newly hired GM John Chayka — was fully prepared to move on from him, despite his immeasurable contributions to the franchise and the community.

Chayka has taken some heat for his inexperience and it is fair to question the Coyotes’ motives for hiring a 26-year-old (now 27) GM. Chayka’s top two free-agent acquisitions (he wasn’t alone in identifying them), Jamie McGinn and Alex Goligoski, have underwhelmed.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Upon reflection, I kind of see this season as Year 1 of a rebuild (or possibly Year 2 if I include last season--but we were nowhere near as horrible then).

With that in mind, the next 3-4 season will test my mettle as a fan.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
What chaps my ass about Doan is that he was largely catered to his entire stint here, by keeping his friends around as long as possible, and even doing other things like hiring his buddy Nash.

He can be as prideful as he wants but what the organization is doing (in the general sense) is the right thing and the thing they never did with Doan around in his prime, for various reasons.

The leadership has sucked on this team since the departure of guys like Aucoin and Morris. Part of that is coaching but I imagine part of it is Doan and Co. not really living up to things on their end.

Indeed. Doan has done a lot for this franchise but let's not pretend the franchise hasn't done anything in return.

He was arguably overpaid in his last 3 contracts. Especially 2012.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Upon reflection, I kind of see this season as Year 1 of a rebuild (or possibly Year 2 if I include last season--but we were nowhere near as horrible then).

With that in mind, the next 3-4 season will test my mettle as a fan.

I agree this is yr 1. We did a reset when Chayka was hired, and the team made an obvious change in direction with the youth movement.

I'm more optimistic however that the team can turn it around much quicker. Several key veteran replacements, plus the kids all a year older, plus possibly a couple more stud rookies, and I honestly think we could make the playoffs.

P.S. I say this every year. Could be I'm delusional.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It's actually year 5, because we've been out of the playoffs for 5 ****ing years.

It's also the third season since we did the tank for McDavid, so even being extremely generous this is like the third damn year.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It's actually year 5, because we've been out of the playoffs for 5 ****ing years.

It's also the third season since we did the tank for McDavid, so even being extremely generous this is like the third damn year.

But we did nothing to rebuild after 2012. We kept trying to make the playoffs with the same group of misfits while not replacing our leading scorer.

For me the rebuild started when we traded Yandle, Vermette, and Michalek. Broke up the core we had(for 3months:laugh:), for the first time we officially threw the towel in.

We tore the team down. Then last season we started putting it back together with Domi, Duclair, Nook and Rieder getting a more prominent role.

This year we were supposed to build on top of that but have a hit a speed bump with Strome and Dvorak not being as NHL ready as we thought and some other players regressing/not improving.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I consider the Yandle trade as the demarcation point. So 2 years this TDL. Before that they were just bad or mediocre. "incompetank" as it were.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
For me the rebuild started when we traded Yandle, Vermette, and Michalek. Broke up the core we had(for 3months:laugh:), for the first time we officially threw the towel in.

We tore the team down. Then last season we started putting it back together with Domi, Duclair, Nook and Rieder getting a more prominent role.

Yeah, so this is the third year.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

I guess that's one way of looking at it. My view is more about the overall look/feel of the team. Last season could be Year One, but we did still have a fair number of vets. I'm not too obsessed with making the playoffs (especially being a Coyotes fan), I'd just be happy to see some fun NHL-caliber games and a 5-year arena deal.

What can I say, I'm a bit of a dreamer :freddie:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm cool if we fire everyone. I'm not married to JC, fire him, too. Fire all the coaches and the GM and start over. Oh, can we fire ownership, too?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, so this is the third year.

I've never heard the word "rebuild" from the new crew since the firing of Maloney. The day after LeBlanc said something to the effect of "we expect to be really competitive next year building on the success and how quickly we turned things around with our rebuild -- if you can even call it that".

I think we're incompetanking again; we just have more young (cheap) players on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad