Say It Ain't So, Doan!

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Yes, it would be nice for him to finish his career here, but if he can find a team willing to add him for a playoff run, I'm all for it as well. The problem is that I don't think too many playoff-bound teams would see him as a huge addition to their roster (at least "favorable" / "perfect fit" teams).

Of course, I wouldn't begrudge him if he decided to hang them up before February. I doubt it will happen, but perhaps he retires after the TDL if no "perfect fits" come to an agreement.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Like the consensus opinion here, good for him!

As much as I hate to write this, the flip side is, "what does a Cup contender gain by acquiring a 40-year-old Shane Doan?" He has little playoff experience and we've seen his pretty steep fall-off this season. Is mere veteran leadership worth a post-season roster spot?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Like the consensus opinion here, good for him!

As much as I hate to write this, the flip side is, "what does a Cup contender gain by acquiring a 40-year-old Shane Doan?" He has little playoff experience and we've seen his pretty steep fall-off this season. Is mere veteran leadership worth a post-season roster spot?

Well, he does have the experience to help push a team a bit that may have a somewhat weak 4th line. There aren't many playoff bound teams that have only two scoring lines, but he could be a serviceable third liner as well. He is a big body that could use is "farmer strength" (or whatever Tyson calls it) to give a somewhat soft team a bit more grit.

Still, would a team interested in him be a team he is interested in finishing out his career with?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well, he does have the experience to help push a team a bit that may have a somewhat weak 4th line. There aren't many playoff bound teams that have only two scoring lines, but he could be a serviceable third liner as well. He is a big body that could use is "farmer strength" (or whatever Tyson calls it) to give a somewhat soft team a bit more grit.

Still, would a team interested in him be a team he is interested in finishing out his career with?

Rumors are Kings, Sharks, and Habs are in. I have Doan as getting moved. Return will be something similar to a signed Letunov or a couple third rounders.

There are teams with problematic contracts that we could use to hit floor next year.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Rumors are Kings, Sharks, and Habs are in. I have Doan as getting moved. Return will be something similar to a signed Letunov or a couple third rounders.

There are teams with problematic contracts that we could use to hit floor next year.
Well, if it's between those three, I hope Montreal gets him. I'd be somewhat disappointed if he ended up going to LA or SJ, but would get over it.

I doubt a team with a problematic contract would want a wacky contract like Doan's in return, but I suppose it's a possibility.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Doan to Sharks makes sense. I worry though about Sharks team speed given the number of aged vets on that squad. Would you do Boedker for Doan lol? I threw out a signed Letunov (his stats show regression this year but hard to judge when you don't watch). Unsigned Letunov likely to test free agency.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Doan to Sharks makes sense. I worry though about Sharks team speed given the number of aged vets on that squad. Would you do Boedker for Doan lol? I threw out a signed Letunov (his stats show regression this year but hard to judge when you don't watch). Unsigned Letunov likely to test free agency.

Sharks fan here. I would be shocked if we acquired Doan as we are at the cap, and that we waived Nieto because we already had too many forwards and not enough spots. I also would doubt DeBoer would want Boedker traded since DeBoer was a big reason for the signing in the first place.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sharks fan here. I would be shocked if we acquired Doan as we are at the cap, and that we waived Nieto because we already had too many forwards and not enough spots. I also would doubt DeBoer would want Boedker traded since DeBoer was a big reason for the signing in the first place.

I believe roster expands at deadline. Confirmed.

I view the Boedker contract as a complete disaster for Sharks thus far. I tossed that out there as a way for them to get out of a problem contract.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It would be nice if he finished here. Having said that it would have also been ice to have traded him last year when he was collecting all those garbage goals. Might have gotten something for him. He looks done. 4th liner. Maybe fringe 3rd on a good club. But by all means, let him write his own ticket.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Shame, San Jose would be a great spot, I cheer for the sharks pretty often as is(unless they play the yotes of course).

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I believe roster expands at deadline.

I view the Boedker contract as a complete disaster for Sharks thus far. I tossed that out there as a way for them to get out of a problem contract.

Here is our forward lineup when healthy:
Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Lebanc-Couture-Ward
Boedker-Hertl-Donskoi
Karlsson-Tierney-Wingels
Meier-Haley (He's become DeBoer's pet of the season, which is why I'm including him)
My point is that I just don't see how we would fit in Doan.

But I get what you mean with a problem contract to make it work. Boedker has been good defensively and is used on the PK, but he just hasn't been putting up the points we were expecting.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Here is our forward lineup when healthy:
Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Lebanc-Couture-Ward
Boedker-Hertl-Donskoi
Karlsson-Tierney-Wingels
Meier-Haley (He's become DeBoer's pet of the season, which is why I'm including him)
My point is that I just don't see how we would fit in Doan.

But I get what you mean with a problem contract to make it work. Boedker has been good defensively and is used on the PK, but he just hasn't been putting up the points we were expecting.

Get used to that with Boedker. One game of promise followed by a 5 game stretch where you don't remember him playing. 4 years of frustration coming for Sharks fans.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Get used to that with Boedker. One game of promise followed by a 5 game stretch where you don't remember him playing. 4 years of frustration coming for Sharks fans.

A little used to that with Marleau, he will be hot for a month, then invisible for a month. Although, Marleau is shoot-first (granted it's always at the goalie's logo), whereas Boedker refuses to shoot like Thornton. Glad to see Wilson is looking for replacements for our older vets when they retire.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A little used to that with Marleau, he will be hot for a month, then invisible for a month. Although, Marleau is shoot-first (granted it's always at the goalie's logo), whereas Boedker refuses to shoot like Thornton. Glad to see Wilson is looking for replacements for our older vets when they retire.
Put Boedker and Thornton on a line and watch them get stuck in an infinite passing loop.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Dang sounds like it's probably going to happen.

Doan discusses his abilities when being "emotionally engaged" on 98.7 at 3:30p....this should be interesting.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Doan can do whatever he wants, he's earned that right many times over. My first takeaway is more that it pretty much confirms he's retiring after this season.
... which also shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Doaner owes us nothing, we owe him nothing. Guy's on Mt Rushmore with Fitz, Randy Johnson, Kevin Johnson and Pat Tillman. Dylan Strome will wear 20. Steve Yzerman could come out of retirement and HE'd wear 91. Nothing that happens will change that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Doan discusses his abilities when being "emotionally engaged" on 98.7 at 3:30p....this should be interesting.

The Coyotes have managed to break the strongest of believers if that's the case.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
He sounds like a realist to me, one that did not bring on this conversation and would rather not be having it.

The point he makes about having to create emotion is spot on and the very reason coaches do everything they can to be competitive. A losing culture is the worst and we all should remember that.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Eh after hearing the interview I don't think he's going anywhere.

Yeah he doesn't sound like he thinks it will happen but at least he's willing to talk about it. He's really never wanted to say anything at all in the past. I think he focusing too much on winning the Cup though. Just getting to go to a contending team and play meaningful games for a month then make a playoff run would have to feel better than what's happening here now. Sure, he'll want to pick a team that has a legitimate shot but I'd imagine he'll have a good time even if it's only a deep playoff run.

Call me crazy but I'd love to see him take a shot then come back next year to play his final season with a more talented roster and better coaching staff that will actually put the talent in the best position to succeed (if Tippett would man up and walk away). Doan on the 4th line with Richardson and Martinook while Domi, Duclair, Strome, Dvo, Perlini, ect play on the scoring lines would be fun to watch with the right coach leading them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad