Say It Ain't So, Doan!

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Yeah, so this is the third year.

Yeah basically. That's what I've always said. And I did think that this season we would continue building off of what I considered a successful season last year. But we haven't.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Oh Bickley. That entire article is wrong.

I agree. Bickley is an idiot. Most players would trade their first born to have their name on the Cup. Yes, how romantic to spend your entire career with one team, but Doan does not owe the fans or organization anything, he has already delivered more than enough.

Doan's career can end one of three ways (assuming this is his last year):
1. Stay with Coyotes (no chance of playoffs or Cup)
2. Traded and does not win the Cup
3. Traded and wins the Cup

Doan (and anyone with a brain) would agree that option 3 is most desirable. Option 1 will leave Doan wondering what could have been. Option 2 is most likely to happen IMO, but still preferable to #1 because you gave it a go.

As a fan I'm hoping for option 3. Doan can still return to the desert for his retirement ceremony, induction into the ring of honor, and the fans will cheer like crazy. He will still be Captain Coyote in my mind for as long as I'm breathing.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
A lot of one line comments that I find obnoxious and in need of correction, but I actually think there are some interesting nuggets in there, too.
Interesting in that it again highlights the antipathy between Doan and part of the organization. You don't drop a line like, "Doan is obviously unhappy with the Coyotes" based on one comment Doan made to you about his role. It goes deeper. It also suggests some of it is a Tippett-Doan rift, which is pretty damn interesting. This comment is on point, and we sort of touched on it with the Rieder negotiations during which I speculated speculatively to the great unspeculated angst of others: "A head coach needs to be buffered from financial decisions. The bad feelings that arise during contract negotiations can’t invade the dressing room. Players must trust their leader..."
No point in saying "Players must trust their leader" if there are not actually players who do trust him.

The biggest takeaway is: "If he doesn’t believe in the new regime, what does that say to the rest of us? Or to the players who sense the frustrations of a seasoned captain?"

Buried in the usual proTippett, we love Doan/Coyotes fluff and ridiculous things like that Doan should/could not be traded, etc were some pretty interesting things that sort of spill from speculation towards confirmation. There are obviously some issues in the room that he isn't willing to come out and lay down in black and white, but the fact he points to some pretty specific things makes me believe there's dysfunction.

I doubt Tipp and the gang are super pleased.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The biggest takeaway is: "If he doesn’t believe in the new regime, what does that say to the rest of us? Or to the players who sense the frustrations of a seasoned captain?"

Requesting a trade in what he probably knows will be his last season does not indicate he does not believe in the regime.

Seeking out a contract with another team this past summer would indicate such a thing.

It's fairly common for aging veterans to chase the Cup.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think the Morgan hints and this article lay a pretty solid foundation for something larger taking place than a last gasp Cup chase.

And don't get me wrong most of that article was crap. He's earned the right to write his own ticket out of town. He doesn't owe the team anything. And the team wasn't wrong by not opening up for a huge contract for a 40 year old (though I think that fact that he is performance bonus eligible should have made this an easy deal to get done).

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
He's earned the right to write his own ticket out of town. He doesn't owe the team anything.

From the looks of things, ending his career with the Coyotes would be pretty meaningless since the team will probably be moved to KC, Seattle, Quebec, or Portland at some point and the new team will try to distance itself as far from "the Legacy of the Coyotes" as they can.

Of course, I'm hoping they'll stay in Arizona, but there's a lot of baggage to deal with and I don't think ownership will be able to handle it and will eventually want to get away from the NHL operations as soon as they can.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Lets be honest, he's going to get a "Senior consultant" or something along those lines next year. The marriage is going to be in tact regardless of where he ends after this year

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I don't think that there is a person here that would begrude Doan to do as he wished, as long as it didn't cost the team a high pick or prospect. He will always be captain Coyote. If he wants to go on a run more power to him.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So if Doan retires at the end of the season, and I'm sure he will, do we instantly retire #19 to start next season? Or does it wait until the new arena opens?

His number should be retired on opening night, as well as a 19 foot tall gold statue erected.

Shane Doan Week will have started 7 days ago. Shane Doan Week will be a 168 hour party at westgate, with every one of Doan's NHL shifts shown on replay outside the stadium on loop.

Pre-game jersey retirement ceremony will be 19 hours long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad