Speculation: Say it ain't so! Buff for Eberle

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
By the time the Jets are "ready to contend" will Scheifele or Trouba be around?

When are we building for? We just signed this core to 5+ years contracts. Which clearly indicates Chevy thinks this core can do something. Will they? What is the goal here?

Soon enough Kane/Scheifele will be "declining assets". At 23, Eberle is in the MIDDLE of his prime as an offensive threat. By the time "we are ready to contend" he will already be declining offensively if unless you think Buff is going to be useless in the next two years.

Eberle is a HUGE downgrade for this team right now and a negligible if any upgrade 2-4 years from now. Unless you are thinking we it's gonna take 5+ years to contend, which at that point Ladd, Little and many others become almost irrelevant as they need to change the whole core.

Taking what we have in place now I'm anticipating our window not opening for at least 3 or 4 years. Kane, Scheifele & Trouba are between 19-22 that's who we build around. Eberle is not in the middle of his prime at 23, that would suggest a player's prime is between 21-25 which would mean all our older core have moved past their prime and then consequently all should be moved for younger assets. At this point I'll have to trust our rookies will still be around at that time since we will still control them. And I'll choose not to see them as soon to be declining assets just yet.

In terms of signing our older core we had no choice about that, if you can't sign your own players they will have no value to you soon. IMO all our older core will be moved out and replaced with younger potential core players within the next 2-4 years. Chevy is going to have to make a choice on how to build this team.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
No thanks to Yakupov. Don't want him here at all.

30 goal scoring 19 year old? Gotta hate those. His PDO is 93 this year. That says terrible luck. He's a good player and he's 19 MF'n years old. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Petry and Yakupov for Buff + maybe we add a little.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
You know I personally have always had this hot and cold view of Buff. No denying his raw talent, and ability to make things happen.

But of all the times to hear a trade rumour, I have to say I feel better about Buff right now than I have in a long time. And not because of a 3 game winning streak, I mean he's been a real asset up front and still fits in on the PP. Not a fan of this trade.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Heard a dirty little rumour that an oilers staff member was overheard discussing a trade that will be announced next week involving Buff and Eberle.

To clarify, you claim to have heard a rumor that some unnamed random other person supposedly heard a random unnamed "Oilers staff member" openly discussing very specific, private, proprietary trade details.

Yes, vague hearsay of more specific hearsay is bound to prove reliable. [/sarcasm]

:facepalm:

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I think people need to realize Buff is Buff. how long do you really think he will stay at wing? Do you think his weight is going to be a problem? I do, imo only reason he came in shape is because its an olympic year and he wanted to make team usa. If he was a forward do you really seem him being in the top 6? Cause paying 5mil for a 3rd RW doesn't work in the cap world.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
I am not convinced of this rumor but you would have to think that Buff is being shopped. It is pretty obvious that a core shuffle needs to happen and Buff is likely the easiest to move. Getting Eberle in this deal certainly is intriguing to say the least. I wonder what others here have Buff's value pegged at and how much has it changed since the move to forward? This is not a horrible trade for the Jets but I would sure miss what good Buff can bring. Not another player like him in the league. Very mixed emotions on this proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad