Speculation: Say it ain't so! Buff for Eberle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I would think Mtl, and Tor are at the top. I don't think he wants to go high media places. I think NYR would be up there too.

Regardless, I can't see 5 places he'd be less likely to want to go to than Edmonton. Whatever knocks people typically make against Winnipeg go for Edmonton (and at least Winnipeg is closer to Minnesota, assuming he still has family there), in addition to their franchise being a gongshow from top to bottom.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I called this a few weeks ago! I'm taking full credit for that if it happens haha. Just the question what does edm add. Any interest into Ryan jones?

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Age, projected salary and years of club control all have me leaning towards doing the deal. Buff is depreciating and there aren't many contenders with a glut of cap space.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Heard a dirty little rumour that an oilers staff member was overheard discussing a trade that will be announced next week involving Buff and Eberle.

Im not sure what to think but right now the way buff is playing, I would be holding on to him for now.

I heard a dirty little rumor that a staff member of the Dancin Gabe fan club is full of poop!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
We gain in youth (ie: more peak years) and controlled contract (ie: more years controlled).

However...

We also lose a better player. People's opinion on Eberle is being inflated by his lucky Kadri-like on-ice sh% season. He will most likely never score at that pace again, ever.

Doesn't mean should/shouldnt/will/wont happen...

Just means that I'd want Edm to add a nice prospect(s) and/or pick(s).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We also lose a better player. People's opinion on Eberle is being inflated by his lucky Kadri-like on-ice sh% season. He will most likely never score at that pace again, ever.

No you can't...I mean you just can't...it makes no sense...what?!?!

Kadri's ppg pace was not going to last? NEVER!

Dawson-Crying-dawsons-creek-1445426-640-4802.jpg

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
As a Jets fan I'd take this deal and run, before MacTavish reconsiders.

And Buff's no trade clause is limited to 5 teams he submits each season, where he does not want to go. So if Edmonton isn't one of the 5 teams, he can be traded there.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
As a Jets fan I'd take this deal and run, before MacTavish reconsiders.

And Buff's no trade clause is limited to 5 teams he submits each season, where he does not want to go. So if Edmonton isn't one of the 5 teams, he can be traded there.

And do you believe Edmonton won't be on that list?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The only way I would accept this trade is if the Oilers included their 2015 first round pick.

The difference between Buff and Eberle is not the Oilers 2015 first round pick. I agree the Oilers need to add but not much. Eberle is a great fit for the organization. At 23 he could fit perfectly age wise and skill set with Kane and Scheifele. In a couple years they may make up one of the top offensive lines in the league just hitting their prime together. Buff soon will be a diminishing asset based on age and contract status.

Sure we can ride it out with Buff, but by the time this team is ready to contend it is unlikely he will be around or anywhere near the player we see today. With every passing season our return will be less and less.

IMO we need to build around our young guys with an eye on the future and this of the type of trade Chevy needs to pull off.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Edmonton would have to tack on another 3 year 18 mil to the 2 years he has left on his contract for Buff to take them off his list imo

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The difference between Buff and Eberle is not the Oilers 2015 first round pick. I agree the Oilers need to add but not much. Eberle is a great fit for the organization. At 23 he could fit perfectly age wise and skill set with Kane and Scheifele. In a couple years they may make up one of the top offensive lines in the league just hitting their prime together. Buff soon will be a diminishing asset based on age and contract status.

Sure we can ride it out with Buff, but by the time this team is ready to contend it is unlikely he will be around or anywhere near the player we see today. With every passing season our return will be less and less.

IMO we need to build around our young guys with an eye on the future and this of the type of trade Chevy needs to pull off.

By the time the Jets are "ready to contend" will Scheifele or Trouba be around?

When are we building for? We just signed this core to 5+ years contracts. Which clearly indicates Chevy thinks this core can do something. Will they? What is the goal here?

Soon enough Kane/Scheifele will be "declining assets". At 23, Eberle is in the MIDDLE of his prime as an offensive threat. By the time "we are ready to contend" he will already be declining offensively if unless you think Buff is going to be useless in the next two years.

Eberle is a HUGE downgrade for this team right now and a negligible if any upgrade 2-4 years from now. Unless you are thinking we it's gonna take 5+ years to contend, which at that point Ladd, Little and many others become almost irrelevant as they need to change the whole core.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Oil would have to add. Ebs and a 2nd?

I also think Buff would be a disaster in Edmonton. He works best with a strong supporting crew that can take the defensive pressure off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille