Speculation: Say it ain't so! Buff for Eberle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Everything you are saying about the ability of Buff vs Eberle is true: they score at about the same rate, Buff is more versatile and can play the "heavy" game in the West. The big advantage Eberle has is his age and contract status. The Jets have Buff for only two more years. Eberle is under contract for five more after this one. $6 million for a 60 point forward in five years will likely be a steal. If we are talking about building around a younger core, Eberle would be a nice fit.

Chevy would have to be on the outlook for some size after a trade like that, though. With Eberle, Morrissey, and Petan, would would have a lot of smaller players. You would need Lowry to come through, for sure, plus one or two others.

Having said all of that...this "source" could charitably be described as dubious; I would put no stock in this rumour. Team administrators are not so careless as to hold these types of discussions in public. I'm not holding my breath.

How many players of Buff's calibre are there in the NHL? How many small offensive wingers who are below average defensively? Anyone have Eberle's PDO handy from 2 years ago?

For reference Buff's PDO is 95.0 this year.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd like to just clarify something.
When I said I'd likely do it, I was assuming that it wasn't a 1-1 deal. I am assuming the Oil would add.

If its just Buff for Eberle, I'd pass.
Not because I don't like Eberle, but I think there are other teams that would put together better packages (Philly).

I gotta agree with this. Looking at his numbers, I was pretty surprised how similar they were to Kane's (10 less G and one year older but 50 more pts in 50 less games, so Ebs has a 0.79ppg to Kane's 0.61) and we know he's going to just get better with age (and that contract with the new cap? :handclap: ) but on the other hand... I think demand is going to be pretty high for Buff. Especially if the right-wing experiment works out.

It is a tough call but I think EDM has to add if they want Buff. Like powder said, it'd be a great move if we're to start building a contender around our younger core though.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
How many players of Buff's calibre are there in the NHL? How many small offensive wingers who are below average defensively? Anyone have Eberle's PDO handy from 2 years ago?

103.7 - quite high.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Kulda is not signed by the Jets. He is signed in the KHL and they do not accept mid-season out clauses. So not Kulda, and there is nothing close to NHL ready left in St. John's.

Eberle for Buff is a terrible trade for the Jets. Better not happen unless EDM adds a decent amount.

I'm not hot on trading Buff but if TNSE is intent on trading him, you could do worse than Eberle esp considering other worse proposals that certain jets fans think are fair value for Buff. Didn't know that Kulda couldn't join us midseason.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Heard a dirty little rumour that an oilers staff member was overheard discussing a trade that will be announced next week involving Buff and Eberle.

Simply can't happen. Why? Because we'd have an Ellerby and an Eberle on our team. Commentators' tongues would shred. :laugh:

powder88

Nov 21, 2013

Look, nobody is saying that Eberle is not without his warts. But he isn't some scrub; he is in the the top 30 in scoring in the league (9th among RW), and likely will be for the duration of his contract. If you have to play one game next week, then it's clear Buff is your guy. But Eberle is under contract for 400 games after this season; Buff for 160.

The answer to your question is that there is nobody like Buff, but the list of guys who can do what Eberle does is fairly short too. He would just be able to do it for the Jets for longer than Buff. It's a bit of an academic discussion, since the likelihood of this happening is low, but it isn't the slam dunk case you make it out to be. Maybe the Oilers have to add something to even it out, but nothing terribly significant, I think. If Chevy can get a second rounder or a decent prospect as well, I think you pul the trigger.

DancinGabe

Mar 20, 2013
In three years how much does Buff re-sign for though? You gotta believe that Trouba is going to be locked up long term at a heavy cost the same year Buff is set to become a UFA. Ladd is also up that year.

Could be very interesting..

End of the day I guess it all hangs on how guys in the system like Petan, Lowry, Morrisey and Kitchon develop.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
In three years how much does Buff re-sign for though? You gotta believe that Trouba is going to be locked up long term at a heavy cost the same year Buff is set to become a UFA. Ladd is also up that year.

Could be very interesting..

End of the day I guess it all hangs on how guys in the system like Petan, Lowry, Morrisey and Kitchon develop.

I don't have a huge problem trading Buff. No way for a player like Eberle alone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Eberele would add some more pure skill to our top six which we could use. I'd also hope that getting out of that environment in Edmonton would help his overall game and rejuvenate him. Having said that I view Buff to be more valuable right now and would need a decent sized plus added to pull the trigger.

Aela*

I say no for the sole reason of seeing Buff in an EDM jersey...please dear god no.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
You shouldn't be. It's an easy no. I'd take Yakupov + though.

I see the pros and cons for both sides.

Buff is the more unique player that has really found his way in the last 3 games.

Yes he is a 50+ point d-man but he has really really hurt the team as well.

If he can continue to be a 50+ point forward, then it's close.

I certainly do think that Eberle is the more offensively gifted player and would be under contract for much longer.

That being said, Buff is a MAJOR presence on the ice and I think we could really have a case of "we don't know what we really had until it's gone."

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I see the pros and cons for both sides.

Buff is the more unique player that has really found his way in the last 3 games.

Yes he is a 50+ point d-man but he has really really hurt the team as well.

If he can continue to be a 50+ point forward, then it's close.

I certainly do think that Eberle is the more offensively gifted player and would be under contract for much longer.

That being said, Buff is a MAJOR presence on the ice and I think we could really have a case of "we don't know what we really had until it's gone."

Didn't people say that when we moved him from D to forward? I don't buy it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Call me crazy, but I would do it. Taking everything into consideration including contract and age I think it's a pretty fair deal. I think we could get more for Buff however. Also, ftr I think the original post is total bull. JMO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad