Prospect Info: Sawyer Mynio: 89th Overall 2023 Draft (Seattle) - LD

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The one thing that stands out with Mynio is how calm he is with the puck on his stick. He's never rattled. I really like his upside, if he puts on some muscle, he's going to be a steal of a pick.

How he's fared with Seattle losing so many top guys, it's a very encouraging sign.

Feb 20, 2013
The one thing that stands out with Mynio is how calm he is with the puck on his stick. He's never rattled. I really like his upside, if he puts on some muscle, he's going to be a steal of a pick.

How he's fared with Seattle losing so many top guys, it's a very encouraging sign.
I agree that he is a much more exciting pick than his profile and numbers would suggest.

You make some good points about his calmness on the puck and being relatively small/weak for his draft year. As a late April birth, he is was one of the younger players in the draft and about half a year younger than Brzustewicz for example. He has time/room to grow, which is exciting.

Another encouraging point is his production relative to that of his team. Despite only having played 56 out of Seattle's 61 games so far, he has 48 points on their 166 total goals. That is a 29% goal involvement. In games that Mynio has played, he is at 48/146 = 33% involvement. Seattle's two highest points getters are defencemen (Mynio and Hanzel) and they have no forward producing anywhere close to a point per game after the Sawchyn trade. He just doesn't have much of a supporting cast.

Brzustewicz is at 85 points in 61/62 Rangers games but they have scored way more than Seattle with 270 goals. 31% goal involvement.

Put Mynio on the high-scoring Kitchener team and he would project at 89 points in 62 games given his goal involvement in Seattle.

There is more offensive upside there than his points totals would suggest.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree that he is a much more exciting pick than his profile and numbers would suggest.

You make some good points about his calmness on the puck and being relatively small/weak for his draft year. As a late April birth, he is was one of the younger players in the draft and about half a year younger than Brzustewicz for example. He has time/room to grow, which is exciting.

Another encouraging point is his production relative to that of his team. Despite only having played 56 out of Seattle's 61 games so far, he has 48 points on their 166 total goals. That is a 29% goal involvement. In games that Mynio has played, he is at 48/146 = 33% involvement. Seattle's two highest points getters are defencemen (Mynio and Hanzel) and they have no forward producing anywhere close to a point per game after the Sawchyn trade. He just doesn't have much of a supporting cast.

Brzustewicz is at 85 points in 61/62 Rangers games but they have scored way more than Seattle with 270 goals. 31% goal involvement.

Put Mynio on the high-scoring Kitchener team and he would project at 89 points in 62 games given his goal involvement in Seattle.

After a long run of futility drafting defensemen from the WHL, have the Canucks finally lucked on to one in Mynio? Actually it's probably not 'luck', rather a regime change.

Whoever was scouting the WHL for the Canucks in the Benning years, needed a new career in the fast food industry.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

Honestly I've always been high on Mynio. He impressed me during the memorial cup, IMO he was one of Seattle's best players that game.

I've always had Mynio above Hunter B, and honestly I put him up there with EP2. He was unknown prior to the draft, because he was buried on a stacked Seattle defense, but the people who watched him extensively all agreed the skillset + IQ is there. I think the kid is definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I noted that Mynio was one of the first players the Canucks signed out of their 2023 draft class. It was a little mystifying at the time, but I think we can see now why the Canucks wanted to get his signature on his ELC.

So what is his future? Is it back to the WHL, or does he have at least a shot at playing in Abbotsford?

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I noted that Mynio was one of the first players the Canucks signed out of their 2023 draft class. It was a little mystifying at the time, but I think we can see now why the Canucks wanted to get his signature on his ELC.

So what is his future? Is it back to the WHL, or does he have at least a shot at playing in Abbotsford?
He's too young for the AHL, short of playing in the playoffs this year once his team's done.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
After a long run of futility drafting defensemen from the WHL, have the Canucks finally lucked on to one in Mynio? Actually it's probably not 'luck', rather a regime change.

Whoever was scouting the WHL for the Canucks in the Benning years, needed a new career in the fast food industry.

Long run of futility? Not really. It’s a very small sample size. We really haven’t been drafting defensemen from the WHL. In the Benning years we drafted Stewart (who we drafted to turn into a forward), Olsen, and Woo. Previous to that you have to go all the way back to Nonis drafting Ellington.

I would assume that Woo was scouted by our top scouts notably Brackett, Delorme, and Gradin. Woo was very much a Brackett pick.

But ya in terms of premium picks spent on WHL Dmen, the list is short. Before Woo and Ellington you have to go all the way to Ference and Bonni. In the past 30 years the best Dman the Canucks drafted out of the WHL is Sopel. If you go further back you will come across Garth Butcher. I might be missing a name or two here but there’s really not much history here to say there’s been a long run of futility.

Last edited:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

No chance he's in Abby IMO. He doesn't turn 19 until April 30th.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Long run of futility? Not really. It’s a very small sample size. We really haven’t been drafting defensemen from the WHL. In the Benning years we drafted Stewart (who we drafted to turn into a forward), Olsen, and Woo. Previous to that you have to go all the way back to Nonis drafting Ellington.

I would assume that Woo was scouted by our top scouts notably Brackett, Delorme, and Gradin. Woo was very much a Brackett pick.

But ya in terms of premium picks spent on WHL Dmen, the list is short. Before Woo and Ellington you have to go all the way to Ference and Bonni. In the past 30 years the best Dman the Canucks drafted out of the WHL is Sopel. If you go further back you will come across Garth Butcher. I might be missing a name or two here but there’s really not much history here to say there’s been a long run of futility.
I think you make a valid point.....in examining defensemen drafted in the first couple of rounds out of the WHL since 2004--there's really a void. There used to be a lot more of them like Dion Phaneuf, Shea Weber, Shea Theodore, and more recently Bowen Byram.

But the European leagues; the OHL and QMJHL; and NCAA college hockey seem to be graduating a majority of the top d-men these days. And I don't t think it's just a phase we're seeing.

Seems to me that fewer and fewer truly impact d-men are being drafted out of the Dub.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I think you make a valid point.....in examining defensemen drafted in the first couple of rounds out of the WHL since 2004--there's really a void. There used to be a lot more of them like Dion Phaneuf, Shea Weber, Shea Theodore, and more recently Bowen Byram.

But the European leagues; the OHL and QMJHL; and NCAA college hockey seem to be graduating a majority of the top d-men these days. And I don't t think it's just a phase we're seeing.

Seems to me that fewer and fewer truly impact d-men are being drafted out of the Dub.

3 WHL defenseman were taken in the first round in 2022.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Liked what i saw at camp of Mynio. Mobile smart decent size. Nice to see how much he was able to take a bigger role and show that he has some puck moving upside that should help at the next levels.

Would be awesome to see another local guy become part of the defensive group for the Canucks one day. 1 more year of junior, would be nice if he gets moved to a contender again

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Mynio had a thread-bump-worthy big night tonight, with two power-play assists and then the game-winning goal in overtime, as his lowly Seattle Thunderbirds beat powerhouse Portland Winterhawks 5-4 in OT.
He’s now only 2 points out of the teams scoring lead (the guy ahead of him is now 21 YO, and Mynio is still 18 until the end of April)…

Not bad for a guy that some people thought was a one dimensional defensive d-man when he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00