Friedman: Savard expected to be moved

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Philly and Boston have already been linked to Ekholm, I’d imagine they’d be interested in Savard too. What other teams are looking to add a top-4 RHD for the playoffs? Jarmo’s most likely looking for draft picks/prospects to restock the cupboard.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
They should move everyone not bolted down, the amount of players available this summer is insane. Get whatever value you can then restock for cash

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We know Dubas tried to get him in the summer but it fell through because Columbus wanted Kerfoot straight up and Dubas wanted a pick with Savard due to his rental status,

Wouldn't be surprised if Dubas targeted him again

Reactions: DougGilmour93

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Haha time for lots of bad offers.

I assume you mean a lot of Alex Kerfoot mentions.

There's not much room for either side to make bad offers. Savard is a solid non puck moving 2nd pair type rental. That's worth a 2nd and up to another 2nd. The market would have to be unusually hot for him to join Kaberle, Sekera and Shattenkirk as rental defenders that got the 1st round premium going back 10 deadlines. Likewise, it would have to be unusually cold for him not to join Braun, Hainsey, MacDonald, Regehr, Petry and Leopold at the 2nd round level.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cue Habs 1st and Guhle.....:laugh:

We have zippo use for Savard. He's going behind Petry, Weber and Romanov.....might as well play in Laval.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks he's going to be much more then an upgrade on some teams. Not an impact trade.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Jets AGM and director of pro scouting were at cbj's last game

Winnipeg definitely seems like the right team for Savard, as long as Chevy has the pieces to make it work. Not sure they are keen on giving up a first rounder, but if a solid D-man gets them over the line to win the Division...then he might just do it. I wonder if something around Niku and a 2nd might get it done, knowing that they have Heinola ready to move up in the not-to-distant future.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We know Dubas tried to get him in the summer but it fell through because Columbus wanted Kerfoot straight up and Dubas wanted a pick with Savard due to his rental status,

Wouldn't be surprised if Dubas targeted him again

We're pretty tight against the cap. I don't think the Leafs can add a ~4.25M player, even at 50% retention and even half-way through the season, without sending back one of our non-league minimum salaries. I also think with the way Brodie, Holl, and Bogosian have all played, the need for a Savard calibre RHD isn't necessarily the priority.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
We're pretty tight against the cap. I don't think the Leafs can add a ~4.25M player, even at 50% retention and even half-way through the season, without sending back one of our non-league minimum salaries. I also think with the way Brodie, Holl, and Bogosian have all played, the need for a Savard calibre RHD isn't necessarily the priority.

Leafs can add all of 130 000$ worth of cap at the deadline. Basically you guys would need him at 50% and then send away 2m worth of cap the other way.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Bring him to Calgary, 2nd 21 + 3rd(higher one of Calgary/Edmonton) for Savard at 3M?

2nd 21 + 2nd 22 for Savard at 50%?

2nd 22 + Kylington for Savard at 2.5M? Add a 5th if its 50%?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

You aren't looking at it the right way.

What happens if Brodie goes down? You're f***ed

Muzzin? You're f***ed

Rielly? You're f***ed

Holl? You're a little less f***ed but you probably lose the next round.

Adding Savard protects against that.

You add Savard then you aren't f***ed if a top 4 guy goes down.

Yes Toronto does need another D man

Reactions: exporta and Tripod

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
You aren't looking at it the right way.

What happens if Brodie goes down? You're f***ed

Muzzin? You're f***ed

Rielly? You're f***ed

Holl? You're a little less f***ed but you probably lose the next round.

Adding Savard protects against that.

You add Savard then you aren't f***ed if a top 4 guy goes down.

Yes Toronto does need another D man

Give an example of a trade that works with the cap. We have $29,256 in capspace right now, and that's with only 21 players on the 23 man roster (i.e. it's not like we can really go with a smaller roster, especially as adding an "extra" dman means Bogosian or Dermott need to sit in the press box but still on the 23 man roster). Best case scenario, Columbus retains 50% salary, and you still need to add Savard at 2.125M.

Are you moving Hyman to make that work? Justin Holl? Kerfoot? Those are our only players making between 2M-4M in salary.

Sure, it'd be nice to add Savard, I just don't think it makes sense given what you'd have to do to make it work.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Give an example of a trade that works with the cap. We have $29,256 in capspace right now, and that's with only 21 players on the 23 man roster (i.e. it's not like we can really go with a smaller roster, especially as adding an "extra" dman means Bogosian or Dermott need to sit in the press box but still on the 23 man roster). Best case scenario, Columbus retains 50% salary, and you still need to add Savard at 2.125M.

Are you moving Hyman to make that work? Justin Holl? Kerfoot? Those are our only players making between 2M-4M in salary.

Sure, it'd be nice to add Savard, I just don't think it makes sense given what you'd have to do to make it work.

Offer Kerfoot to a team like Ottawa for a 5th, I'm sure they'd accept it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad