Blue Jays Discussion: Saunders > Bruce; Tulo and Bautista trade DL spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Easy. I'm just learning baseball stats.

Just please don't parade batting average or "RBIs without hitting home runs" to voice certain narratives.

There's really a lot more out there that can better illustrate player values and performances. My suggestion would be to look through the glossary of Fangraphs to get a better understanding of advanced metrics.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why aren't we bringing hutch in as a starter over dickey? Seems like an obvious upgrade no?

Why? So he can give up 3 runs and lose the game instead?

38th in RA9-WAR since 2013. Dickey's ability to log innings and put up a respectable ERA is just getting way too underrated.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,d&page=3_30

Look at it this year. Look at the names that are behind him and tell me if teams are desperately trying to remove guys like Keuchel, Stroman, Wainwright, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Harvey, Michael Wacha, Aaron Nola, Chris Archer, Drew Smyly, Michael Pineda, Sonny Gray, and Francisco Liriano out of their rotations.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Why aren't we bringing hutch in as a starter over dickey? Seems like an obvious upgrade no?

Dickey Starts by # of earned runs allowed this season:

6: 2 (both in April)
5: 0
4: 3
3: 5
2: 4
1: 1
0: 2

So in 12 of his 17 starts so far this season (70%) he's allowed 3 or fewer runs. Those 12 games also account for 4 of his 8 losses.

Hutch was like 57%/43% in terms of <4 and 4+ run starts last year.

I get it. People like to look at Dickey and think that the knuckle ball makes him unreliable and a loser and all that stuff, but as much as I don't have fun watching his starts, he's not any less reliable than any other 4/5 starter. This year he's actually been decent by back-of-the-rotation standards. If you have a 5th starter that gives you 3 or fewer runs giving up in almost 3 out of every 4 starts, that's pretty damn good. Maybe maybe he's got more variance in his performance level from start to start than the average "traditional" SP (I wouldn't want to hazard a guess on this, I haven't run the data. And there's no way I'm going to make a gut assumption given all the preconceptions that exist for most people about Dickey's performance) but even if that were the case, that variance is also what gives Dickey the opportunity to go out and spin a 3 hit CG shutout every so often to counterbalance the 5 inning, 6-run meltdown. But that wider variance in performance does not make him less reliable than any given 4/5.

The one big downside to Dickey is that he handcuffs you to Thole. If Thole didn't have to be the scrub catching Dickey's starts 30 times a year, it would probably seem a lot less unsavory to take his 200 IP of 3.80-4.10 ERA ball for the course of a season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We're missing JB's bat

Here's hoping Stro can get back on track. His last start was at least promising.....

I'm cautiously optimistic about Schultz going forward. And here's hoping Cecil can find his game again

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why do they make it seem like Bumgarner is such an exceptional hitter? He is hitting .182 with a .624 OPS. Decent enough for a pitcher, but nothing special. He was even hitting for himself last night in Oakland. I expected his numbers to be much better than that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Red Sox have had 5 international signings voided for I presume package deals. Barred from the 16-17 international signing period :laugh:

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Red Sox have had 5 international signings voided for I presume package deals. Barred from the 16-17 international signing period :laugh:

We can actually pay these guys up to $600K (the first $300K isn't counted against bonus-pool limits). Its a good opportunity to get some talent given that we're otherwise relegated to not being able to sign anyone for more than $300K.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
I'm enjoying this game, but it has become abundantly clear that a lineup without Jose and Edwin is NOT something i'd like to see on a regular basis.

WE need to sign one of them (and hopefully Saunders).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Tellez HR

He's doing really well. His average up to over .270 now, his OPS well into the .800's

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'm enjoying this game, but it has become abundantly clear that a lineup without Jose and Edwin is NOT something i'd like to see on a regular basis.

WE need to sign one of them (and hopefully Saunders).

Pretty much what I was thinking as well.

A lineup is like a less volatile bullpen. Its amazing how much things change when you take out a good hitter or two and make everyone below them have to fill in a slightly more important role.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
i find baseball pretty boring and generally cant stomach watching it, but when I saw the game was in the 14th inning i figured i would watch to see how it finished.

little did i know i would still be waiting at the 19th inning... oof

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's very un-Edwin like what I saw today. Some of it is on the ump, but rarely do you see him argue with an umpire. Let alone in the 1st inning. Let alone get ejected.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Today was easily the longest game I have ever been at. Fairly good crowd given the tendency for Canada Day to be filled with intoxicated "fans".

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
It was truly unfortunate to watch home plate umpire Vic Carrapazza try to take over that game. Umpires - like players - can't be expected to be perfect. They'll miss calls, that is a fact. The issue was that he baited a bunch of players, making a questionable calls and then staring them down in search of a reaction. I'm not sure what got Vic all fired up, but he woulda tossed the mascot if Ace happened to face his direction for too long. At that level, you've gotta put away your trigger finger, and give the players some leeway.

Edwin got gassed pretty quickly. As did Martin.

There is an appropriate way to handle a game like that, and it usually runs through working with the catcher to diffuse things. Players will respect you a lot more if you say "hey, you know what, I'm fighting it a little bit today" instead of trying to defend every missed call.

There is no place in the game for an umpire that truly tries to take over the game, as opposed to facilitating it, and that's exactly what Carrapazza did. He threw gas on the flames, and everyone in the ballpark knew he was ready to fire off faster than a 5:30 fireworks show on Canada Day. There needs to be greater accountability from the head of the umpiring committee, because that was embarrassing.

Here's hoping that tomorrow will bring a little better game management from the umpiring crew, and maybe we'll have a game where we can keep all of our stars in the game, where they belong.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
It was truly unfortunate to watch home plate umpire Vic Carrapazza try to take over that game. Umpires - like players - can't be expected to be perfect. They'll miss calls, that is a fact. The issue was that he baited a bunch of players, making a questionable calls and then staring them down in search of a reaction. I'm not sure what got Vic all fired up, but he woulda tossed the mascot if Ace happened to face his direction for too long. At that level, you've gotta put away your trigger finger, and give the players some leeway.

I started watching in the 14th, and said immediately, "They're going to lose this game. The ump will make sure of it." Not just because of the absolutely terrible one-sided strike calls, but also because Carrapazza was clearly sneering at struck out Blue Jays as they walked back to the dugout. This jerk WANTED to be the centre of attention today.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
If you noticed that in the 14th, just imagine seeing that from the very beginning! Carapazza was clearly out to get someone tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad