GDT: Saturday Matinee with the Leafs

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Me too. But I see an opponent goal like the first one yesterday. See EJ badly misread a play. He gets a point shot and blows it by trying to hit the upper corner, far post, when Murray had pinched down low. EJ needs to aim low and inside post for a rebound. Avs have a numbers advantage at their net. But EJs shot is terrible. Misses wide and starts a 2-1 the other way.

Bura does an amazing job back checking and takes the left shot bunting deep and into a terrible shooting angle coming down the left wing. Kuemper sees this and comes out of his net to cheat and make that shot it impossible. Great team D by Bura and Kuemper to fix EJs screw up. Because EJ is perfectly positioned to stop a pass to Kerfoot. Except EJ makes the worst possible play and leaves his man to put himself on the ice to stop a pass. Instead, he opens up the passing lane and now Kuemper is out of position because of EJs F up.

Toronto goal. 110% EJs fault. A novice hockey fan wonders why Kuemper didn’t make the hard save.

i realize Bednar will show EJ that at the intermission as a teaching moment. Won’t say a word to Kuemper because he didn’t do anything wrong. He played it right. So did Bura. EJ is the breakdown here. Twice.

that’s the difference between fans that understand what they are seeing and hot takers that dont.

Ya that was 100% on EJ. I can't believe at this age he would still make a mistake that badly. Bunting had nothing to shoot at; EJ made the worst possible decision.

Reactions: McJedi

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kuemper hasn't been bad at all the last month or so, however, it would be nice to get a key save. Last night wasn't on him at all but it was a good idea to switch to Frankie, it woke the team up some. I'm more worried about the PK than I am goaltending.

Yup and IMO that's the biggest difference between a decent/good goalie(Kuemper and Grubauer) and a great goalie(Vasilievsky, Gibson, Helly).

Kuemper is an average starting goalie but doesn't make the key save or the big save enough to really be looked at as anything more then that. Earlier on this year he was struggling with even making some routine saves but I think he's gotten past that at this point. Grubauer was a lot of the same. I think we just need to realize that, unless we are really going to pay up for someone like Gibson(And by pay up, its most likely going to cost Byram), the best we can hope for in trading an UFA signings are good, but not great goalies.

Only way you get a top tier goalie is by paying top dollar for one, or drafting one. The best way is probably by drafting honestly but I dont think the Avs believe in the value of goaltending enough to ever do that.

Reactions: The Moops and Bront

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Francouz looked great but no matter how good he looks, you can't give him a starters load of games because it will obliterate his knee. We need to use him sparingly.

What's wrong with his knees? It was his hips that were the problem before and caused him to miss an entire year after the same surgery Varlamov had. And Varly came back from that surgery just fine. And it was an entirely separate injury that he missed a month this year from.

I dont think we can really say either way at this point what would happen Francouz. We just have to keep giving him opportunities and keep learning more about what we have here.

All we can do is wait and see. But so far, he's been back and healthy for over a month now, put up phenomenal numbers in the AHL, and has looked solid honestly in both his NHL games so far.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
What's wrong with his knees? It was his hips that were the problem before and caused him to miss an entire year after the same surgery Varlamov had. And Varly came back from that surgery just fine. And it was an entirely separate injury that he missed a month this year from.

I dont think we can really say either way at this point what would happen Francouz. We just have to keep giving him opportunities and keep learning more about what we have here.

All we can do is wait and see. But so far, he's been back and healthy for over a month now, put up phenomenal numbers in the AHL, and has looked solid honestly in both his NHL games so far.
My bad, misremembered which body part he talked about in that summer interview. Whichever injury he's been dealing with since he was a teenager

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Wonder what Matthews is thinking after staying on the ice in OT too long and unable to keep up with Toews on that game winning goal???

A - I scored as couple of goals so whatever

or

B - Better take a shorter shift in OT so I don't screw my teammates over again

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wonder what Matthews is thinking after staying on the ice in OT too long and unable to keep up with Toews on that game winning goal???

or

A

Reactions: niwotsblessing

katfude

Sep 25, 2015

or

First round exit attitude so definitely A

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

My bad, misremembered which body part he talked about in that summer interview. Whichever injury he's been dealing with since he was a teenager

No I'm pretty sure you're correct, IIRC he's had knee issues for a very long time and the hip issues as well which he had double surgery on.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Right. Bad choices by both of them. But plenty of people saw that, you and I being former players didn’t necessarily give us extra insight into that series of events.
Not them. Just EJ. Murray probably scores if EJ shots low. Murray was uncovered, just needed EJ to hit the goalie. EJ shot it in the one place he shouldn’t, far post and high. That missed shot frequently creates odd man rushes the other way. Really awful sequence of plays by EJ. He owns that goal 100%. Sportsnet called it too.

[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rewatched the game

1. The Avs actually didnt play a terrible terrible 1st period but when they were in their end it was a total clown show. We seen the Avs play worse to start games this season imo. The Avs got outworked in their own end but in the other end of the ice they were fine and had it not been for Campbell and Jost might have had the first goal of the game.

2. Cover the points. I cant get over how often the other teams dman are wide open. It happened in that Jets game and it happened alot in the first period of last nights game. First Matthews goal is giving the Leafs dman too much time and space and the refs missing Bunting knocking Bura stick out his hand.

3. Nathan Mackinnon is back. Yes, hes getting points but most of all he looks alot more fluid in his movement. I dont know how many shots he has the last few games but I am willing to bet its close to a combined 20 shots on goal and probably even more shot attempts. A guy like that with that shot has to shoot it often and im happy he is.

4. Im the first guy to shit on Kuemper when he has a stinker but last night aint on him. Was pulling him the right call? 100% but those goals aint on him. You can argue the 3rd goal he could've been more aggressive instead of sitting in his net deep but that goal happens because of 2 breakdowns in the dzone. Mackinnon losing a puck battle to Kerfoot and Makar not picking Matthews up going to the net. Matthews yelling in Makars ear is funny now considering how the game ended.

5. I really thought EJ shot the puck at Francouz there in the second period haha.

6. Mikko Rantanen has a sub par game overall.....4 assists. Thats how you know you are elite. When you can make questionable plays with the puck all night and walk away with a highlight reel pass for the tying goal and help set up the GWG.

7. Our PK is laughably bad and Nolan Pratt deserves the same scorn that Ray Bennett gets for the PP. Thank god the Leafs only had one chance at it. Darren Helm has no business being a regular on an NHL team. What does he do if hes not helping on the PK? The moment the Leafs got zone time after helms failed clear you just knew how it would end and sure enough not only did Helm fail to clear he also doesnt pick up Ritchie he ends up scoring an easy one.

8. Nazem Kadri was the Avs best player last night imo. He was everywhere and involved in everything. Two more key apples in a game. Someone is going to pay him alot of money this summer probably Ottawa or Montreal and good for him. Hes been underpaid for years now and deserves one giant payday before he calls it quits.

9. Burakovsky is bad. He does so many things that bug the f*** out of me. If its not his constant turn overs in the dzone its missing the net 10 feet wide and out the zone. Or not being able to handle a 5 foot pass or taking 3 hrs to make a decision with the puck before ultimately making the wrong decision. The guy puts up points and Joe is going to need to find someone to replace some of those points next season but as far as bringing him back I hope the Avs move on.

10. The Avs coming back to win this game wouldnt have been possible last year or years prior. Not sure what it is with them this season but its great to see. Years prior they would have a push back maybe score a goal but wouldnt be able to tie the game or get the goal afterwards. This season they are getting that next goal. The Avs have put alot of pucks behind some great goalies the last little while all while being down in games. I almost wish the Avs were playing the Lightning or Florida next just to see if they can go ham on more great goalies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
i agree with all of that; but on Kuemper's part he saw the chance, but he didn't kick off quick enough or at all laterally; Bednar even said that in his post game. It was a very saveable goal but Kuemper's decision to not push off hard enough made it look like a tougher goal than it needed to be
That puck was uncontested tipped 10 feet from net. A goalies job is just to do anything to stop the tip. His teammates need to find that rebound. LOC was lost and sleeping there. EJ was off in the corner losing another foot race. His slowness is a real problem as a PK defender.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Rewatched the game

1. The Avs actually didnt play a terrible terrible 1st period but when they were in their end it was a total clown show. We seen the Avs play worse to start games this season imo. The Avs got outworked in their own end but in the other end of the ice they were fine and had it not been for Campbell and Jost might have had the first goal of the game.

2. Cover the points. I cant get over how often the other teams dman are wide open. It happened in that Jets game and it happened alot in the first period of last nights game. First Matthews goal is giving the Leafs dman too much time and space and the refs missing Bunting knocking Bura stick out his hand.

3. Nathan Mackinnon is back. Yes, hes getting points but most of all he looks alot more fluid in his movement. I dont know how many shots he has the last few games but I am willing to bet its close to a combined 20 shots on goal and probably even more shot attempts. A guy like that with that shot has to shoot it often and im happy he is.

4. Im the first guy to shit on Kuemper when he has a stinker but last night aint on him. Was pulling him the right call? 100% but those goals aint on him. You can argue the 3rd goal he could've been more aggressive instead of sitting in his net deep but that goal happens because of 2 breakdowns in the dzone. Mackinnon losing a puck battle to Kerfoot and Makar not picking Matthews up going to the net. Matthews yelling in Makars ear is funny now considering how the game ended.

5. I really thought EJ shot the puck at Francouz there in the second period haha.

6. Mikko Rantanen has a sub par game overall.....4 assists. Thats how you know you are elite. When you can make questionable plays with the puck all night and walk away with a highlight reel pass for the tying goal and help set up the GWG.

7. Our PK is laughably bad and Nolan Pratt deserves the same scorn that Ray Bennett gets for the PP. Thank god the Leafs only had one chance at it. Darren Helm has no business being a regular on an NHL team. What does he do if hes not helping on the PK? The moment the Leafs got zone time after helms failed clear you just knew how it would end and sure enough not only did Helm fail to clear he also doesnt pick up Ritchie he ends up scoring an easy one.

8. Nazem Kadri was the Avs best player last night imo. He was everywhere and involved in everything. Two more key apples in a game. Someone is going to pay him alot of money this summer probably Ottawa or Montreal and good for him. Hes been underpaid for years now and deserves one giant payday before he calls it quits.

9. Burakovsky is bad. He does so many things that bug the f*** out of me. If its not his constant turn overs in the dzone its missing the net 10 feet wide and out the zone. Or not being able to handle a 5 foot pass or taking 3 hrs to make a decision with the puck before ultimately making the wrong decision. The guy puts up points and Joe is going to need to find someone to replace some of those points next season but as far as bringing him back I hope the Avs move on.

10. The Avs coming back to win this game wouldnt have been possible last year or years prior. Not sure what it is with them this season but its great to see. Years prior they would have a push back maybe score a goal but wouldnt be able to tie the game or get the goal afterwards. This season they are getting that next goal. The Avs have put alot of pucks behind some great goalies the last little while all while being down in games. I almost wish the Avs were playing the Lightning or Florida next just to see if they can go ham on more great goalies.
Helm is freaking awful. Can’t believe this guy appears stapled into the line up. His PK work is a disaster.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Avs actually didnt play a terrible terrible 1st period but when they were in their end it was a total clown show
That's what people should focus on instead of Kuemper. Our defensive zone play and our PK.

Avs are getting away with it so far because of their offense alone but we all know this recipe doesn't work in the playoffs. Doesn't work for the Oilers, doesn't work for the Leafs and it won't work for the Avs either. Play well defensively or lose.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sucks that we only play them twice a year

oNFo657.png

Reactions: katfude

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
That's what people should focus on instead of Kuemper. Our defensive zone play and our PK.

Avs are getting away with it so far because of their offense alone but we all know this recipe doesn't work in the playoffs. Doesn't work for the Oilers, doesn't work for the Leafs and it won't work for the Avs either. Play well defensively or lose.

Goes back years. Avs have a lot of defenders and forwards who get caught watching and don't actually play defense properly. Especially on front of the net.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Sucks that we only play them twice a year

I particularly enjoyed the one fellow who declared, unironically, that the Avalanche had the most obnoxious fanbase on this board.

:laugh:

I pretty much always peruse opponents boards because I enjoy seeing the variety of perspectives of our Avs. For a fanbase with as large a representation as they have on these forums, I expected there to be some quality posting mixed in with the usual mumbo jumbo you get on here. However, I didn't really see much of anything you could've called "keen insight" from them whilst I waded through an absolute ocean of cope and emotional outbursts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad