GDT: Saturday Matinee with the Leafs

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Do you think Franky gets the call against Seattle?
I think he probably gets the Seattle game. I think Bednar will still treat Kuemper as the #1 and thus give him the Nashville, Minnesota, and Anaheim games coming up.

If Franky can light it up in the games he is given then maybe he gets some harder games down the road. I just don't see Bednar giving him the main matchups after one good game against Toronto where he comes in for a tempo change. He is going to need to show solid games from start to finish first.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Great game. GREAT comeback. Frankie was great in relief. I'll give a pass to Kuemp for now as he has been a lot better since coming back Dec 8th and the way the team played in the 1st period last night. Even the great goalies have bad games. Look at what we did in the past few games to great goalies. So hopefully he comes back like the past few games instead of like last night. But he need to be better than that for sure from now on. You need to be able to count on your goalie to bail you out when you are having a bad start of a game.

OMG was Bura ever bad last night. When he wasn't taking too long to make a pass (usually a bad one to top it off) he was trying to go through all five Leafs' players. I was waiting for him to take the puck and try to go through the Leafs' players sitting on the bench as well. That's how bad it was. Make the damn easy play/pass for God's sake.

Miko was VERY bad/lazy in the first but what a turnaround after that.

Makar and Toews...what can I say?...

Reactions: The Moops

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'm curious about Francouz and eager to see what he's got after being away so long.
But I think Kuemper takes too much heat from people looking to find a scapegoat.
No, he's not been great, but he's improved as the season goes on. Last night was obviously a bad look, but even so you had some defensive breakdowns and no one's saving that first Matthews goal.
So let's see what Francouz brings, but throwing Kuemper under the bus seems premature.
(Though I will say that his lateral movement is worrisome for a goalie of his pedigree.)

Reactions: niwotsblessing

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean Kuemper being the statistically worst starting goalie in the NHL is just patently false considering Koskinen/Smith, Binnington, Blackwood, Allen, Grubauer all exist to say the least. (Kuemper is in that huge cluster along the line right above Jones in the first chart. Also there is MAF)

PeQEpqd.png

AN0nQyt.png
All I'm seeing here is trade for Jonathan Quick and go to war with one of the best playoff performing goalies of all time.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Kuemper hasn't been bad at all the last month or so, however, it would be nice to get a key save. Last night wasn't on him at all but it was a good idea to switch to Frankie, it woke the team up some. I'm more worried about the PK than I am goaltending.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
what's crazy to me is prior to the leafs game, i'd say Kuemper's actually made the key saves. He's a guy that makes the clutch save, yet somehow lets in a softie;

best example is in the WPG game, he should have stopped the Schiefele goal, but then later stops a 3 on 1; i remember in a game a while ago he let in a softie but then made an incredible save on a 2 on 0 break by the other team.

If he can stop letting in the softies, but continue to make the clutch saves, then he'd be a vezina goalie. We only need him to be Corey Crawford good to win the cup though; we don't need Hasek.

Reactions: The Moops

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You're still a hockey novice. We all are.

I played too BTW. It makes me no more of an “expert” than someone who never played it. It’s just the means by which I became a hockey fan.
Me too. But I see an opponent goal like the first one yesterday. See EJ badly misread a play. He gets a point shot and blows it by trying to hit the upper corner, far post, when Murray had pinched down low. EJ needs to aim low and inside post for a rebound. Avs have a numbers advantage at their net. But EJs shot is terrible. Misses wide and starts a 2-1 the other way.

Bura does an amazing job back checking and takes the left shot bunting deep and into a terrible shooting angle coming down the left wing. Kuemper sees this and comes out of his net to cheat and make that shot it impossible. Great team D by Bura and Kuemper to fix EJs screw up. Because EJ is perfectly positioned to stop a pass to Kerfoot. Except EJ makes the worst possible play and leaves his man to put himself on the ice to stop a pass. Instead, he opens up the passing lane and now Kuemper is out of position because of EJs F up.

Toronto goal. 110% EJs fault. A novice hockey fan wonders why Kuemper didn’t make the hard save.

i realize Bednar will show EJ that at the intermission as a teaching moment. Won’t say a word to Kuemper because he didn’t do anything wrong. He played it right. So did Bura. EJ is the breakdown here. Twice.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Me too. But I see an opponent goal like the first one yesterday. See EJ badly misread a play. He gets a point shot and blows it by trying to hit the upper corner, far post, when Murray had pinched down low.

Right. Bad choices by both of them. But plenty of people saw that, you and I being former players didn’t necessarily give us extra insight into that series of events.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Controversial take: Kuemper has been OK this season.

He's been fine; but I think Frankie is actually the more talented goalie (if he stays healthy that is). But then of course, Frankie's sample size as a legit goalie is pretty limited (at the NHL level). But on every other level, he's outplayed the other goalies on his team by a fair margin.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
what's crazy to me is prior to the leafs game, i'd say Kuemper's actually made the key saves. He's a guy that makes the clutch save, yet somehow lets in a softie;

best example is in the WPG game, he should have stopped the Schiefele goal, but then later stops a 3 on 1; i remember in a game a while ago he let in a softie but then made an incredible save on a 2 on 0 break by the other team.

If he can stop letting in the softies, but continue to make the clutch saves, then he'd be a vezina goalie. We only need him to be Corey Crawford good to win the cup though; we don't need Hasek.
Winnipegs only goal was another F up by EJ skating himself way out of position and allowing an uncontested point blank tip. Then LOC lost his gap control. And is standing in the middle of the ice. Doing nothing and looking for the puck. Awful PK work by those two. Hockey is a team sport. Breakdowns lead to goals.

Last edited:

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
Winnipegs only goal was another F up by EJ slaying himself way out of position and allowing a point blank tip. Then LOC lost his gap control. And is standing in the middle of the ice. Doing nothing and looking for the puck. Awful PK work by those two. Hockey is a team sport. Breakdowns lead to goals.

i agree with all of that; but on Kuemper's part he saw the chance, but he didn't kick off quick enough or at all laterally; Bednar even said that in his post game. It was a very saveable goal but Kuemper's decision to not push off hard enough made it look like a tougher goal than it needed to be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad