GDT: Saturday Matinee with the Leafs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sucks that we only play them twice a year

oNFo657.png
Posts like this is why Toronto fans are hated. Oiler fans on here not far behind along with Vancouver and Hab fans....im sensing a trend here.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I particularly enjoyed the one fellow who declared, unironically, that the Avalanche had the most obnoxious fanbase on this board.

:laugh:

I pretty much always peruse opponents boards because I enjoy seeing the variety of perspectives of our Avs. For a fanbase with as large a representation as they have on these forums, I expected there to be some quality posting mixed in with the usual mumbo jumbo you get on here. However, I didn't really see much of anything you could've called "keen insight" from them whilst I waded through an absolute ocean of cope and emotional outbursts.

I dont know how anyone can come away with that conclusion about this fanbase on here when we shit on our players more then anyone else.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That was a statement win.

Just like when they played Florida, the Avs know the Leafs are among that group of best teams in the league. They're an offensive team with superstar talent like them and they wanted to measure up against them. Then they started losing again in embarrassing fashion and they showed a little Stanley Cup pride and said, "not again."

You could hear it in Mikko's comments after the game about how they're a good team but so are we. You could see it when Landy was halfway into the tunnel after the game but turned back to go get the real game puck sitting in the net, because the win was that important to them.

You could see it in Mikko too. Austin Matthews looked like he was having his own competition for best player in the world with MacKinnon and Makar. He was looking unstoppable in a very Peter Forsberg esque way. Then unlike Peter, but very much like the Leafs, he just stopped playing.

That's when Mikko looked like he decided he wanted to join that best player in the world competition and did his own Peter Forsberg impression. Dominating with his skill and physicality and making two blind passes that would make Foppa proud for sure. The pass between the legs was one of the best passes I've ever seen.

Man did Campbell look unbeatable early on in this one. Avs would be unstoppable if they had a goaltender like that. I wonder if there's any way the Avs could afford him as a UFA but the Leafs can't?

What a great game. Too bad they don't play again in the regular season. I'll settle for a Cup final though. What a barn burner series that would be.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Something nobody has mentioned as far as I know is the shots on goal including the blocked shots were 70-37 and that is not including the shots that missed the net.
Yet the Leafs dominated im told. The games on Youtube for Leaf fans to rewatch if they think the Leafs dominated the Avs. The leafs played one period last night and packed it in. Hockey is a 60 minute game last I checked and for about 45 minutes it was the Avs dominating play. Jack Campbell made some 10 bell saves and the Leafs were opportunistic on their chances. After the goalie change Frank had to make maybe 2 hard stops. One on Tavares in the slot and another on Matthews on the side of the net. Thats it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lots of salt over there tonight. They blame the refs for the loss. I’m like we had 4 PPs but didn’t score on any of them lol.

That last matching minor for interference/embellishment might have actually saved them. Stupid ref should have just kept his arm down and not called anything if he thought it was a dive. Which it was.

Avs were all geared up to win that game in regulation with a PP goal and lots of momentum with the crowd into it. Then all of a sudden they get put on a 4 on 3 which I bet they haven't practiced in a full calendar year and look out of sync.

This was a weirdly officiated game though. Refs were letting a ton of obvious stuff go on both teams for some reason, especially early. At one point I saw a Leaf player literally grab an Avalanche player's jersey from behind on the back check in the neutral zone and sling shot him self past him. Haven't seen that go uncalled in a while.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

oNFo657.png

Lol. It's not a fluke the Avs waived the goalie that they crushed that game. If Campbell were on the Avs, Toronto wouldn't have even held a lead that game.

Gotta wonder if the Leafs are able to keep him this offseason.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
My bad, misremembered which body part he talked about in that summer interview. Whichever injury he's been dealing with since he was a teenager
You were right the knee. He said in an interview it was bothering him since he was a teenager or something to that effect.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That last matching minor for interference/embellishment might have actually saved them. Stupid ref should have just kept his arm down and not called anything if he thought it was a dive. Which it was.

Avs were all geared up to win that game in regulation with a PP goal and lots of momentum with the crowd into it. Then all of a sudden they get put on a 4 on 3 which I bet they haven't practiced in a full calendar year and look out of sync.

This was a weirdly officiated game though. Refs were letting a ton of obvious stuff go on both teams for some reason, especially early. At one point I saw a Leaf player literally grab an Avalanche player's jersey from behind on the back check in the neutral zone and sling shot him self past him. Haven't seen that go uncalled in a while.
I don't believe those matching minors made it a 4-on-3. I wish it would have because I think the Avs would have scored on that. I'm 99% certain it remained a 5-on-4 and Newhook took Kadri's spot on the top unit.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
I don't believe those matching minors made it a 4-on-3. I wish it would have because I think the Avs would have scored on that. I'm 99% certain it remained a 5-on-4 and Newhook took Kadri's spot on the top unit.

I agree. The announcers said it would be a 4 on 3, but when play started back up it was 5 on 4

Reactions: Foppa2118

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
1st period: Matthews yelling in Makar's ear after scoring his 2nd goal of the game

Game end: Matthews skating with his head down into the corner because he's too tired or lazy to backcheck at the most crucial time of the game and just lost his man for an OT goal against

Matthews is like a beta gorilla that shouts in his opponents face to seem bigger than he is, and runs away when he inevitably gets chased off by a more dominant male

We'll see him skating off with his head down again come spring time

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

oNFo657.png
I find this funny when they got dominated after the 1st. Avs could've very well had at least 2 goals if it wasn't for Campbell but anyway after that Avs were all over them and Leafs were hoping that their goalie could steal this one. Or they will say that if Marner was there they would've won and yet he will be the first guy that gets sh** on after their annual first round exit. Funny how some Oilers fans acted exactly the same when McDavid got a hattrick facing our 4th and 5th string goalie in Werner and Bibeau.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

oNFo657.png

I particularly enjoyed the one fellow who declared, unironically, that the Avalanche had the most obnoxious fanbase on this board.

:laugh:

I pretty much always peruse opponents boards because I enjoy seeing the variety of perspectives of our Avs. For a fanbase with as large a representation as they have on these forums, I expected there to be some quality posting mixed in with the usual mumbo jumbo you get on here. However, I didn't really see much of anything you could've called "keen insight" from them whilst I waded through an absolute ocean of cope and emotional outbursts.

I don't usually go over to see what others are saying but I learned a lot : :sarcasm:

* Apparently, the Avs have a good regular season team but haven't proved shit in the playoffs - OK, I tend to agree but that's absolutely HILARIOUS coming from a fan of a team that's been knocked out of the playoffs IN THE 1st ROUND 5 YEARS IN A ROW and hasn't even been to the 2nd round since 2004 when they were coached by Pat Quinn. At least we can get past the 1st round!!! If anyone needs to STFU, it's fans of THAT team!

And also :

* Our 'leaky' defense is what their defense USED to be...

Well, let's see :

Reilly | Makar
Muzzin | Toews
Brodie | Girard
Holl | Byram
Sandin | E. Johnson
Dermott | JMFJ / Murray

This is a Top-6 we should be envious of? It takes a special kind of homer to think that is better than what the Avs have. LOL

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yeah you're right. Is this a recent rule change? That matching minors while on a PP stays at 5 on 4 instead of going to 4 on 3?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad