Satisfied with Today's Deals as a Whole?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
In Tim we trust? I guess that is the mantra. He has shown he will over pay for areas that were not needed. Like paying for Jimmy Choo shoes when you already have or can get great shoes cheaper--while not paying this month's rent and putting money into your pension. I wanted another LHD not give one away. I wanted a big power forward or a high end scorer. I wanted a proven nhl goalie. Obviously TM had other values and paid through the nose for his choices. He gets paid big bucks to do what he does but if he screws up he still has a guaranteed contract and the Sabres savings accounts have been badly though not completely depleted. I freely admit ROR is the best player in all these deals--as of right now...and I know posters who love trades for the sake of trades, or who fell in love with the hype around ROR will have different and possibly valid opinions.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Lack for a 3rd and a 7th.

How can anyone be happy giving away the 21st pick or say Konecny. Murray gifted that to Ottawa

No one can simply be happy with the Lehner trade. It was a BS trade, and TM got fleeced. Unless Lehner develops into a true #1 goalie in a few years, this trade was just ridiculous.

I'm just pissed at what Eddie Lack went for, knowing we could of gotten that.

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
Until ROR signs people need to hold their breath.
This. Right now Murray has mortgaged a lot of this team's future to make them a bit better next year. If ROR signs an extension and if Lehner becomes a star goalie, it worked. If not he's set us back a couple of years. I'm not impressed. I feel he's trying to rush the rebuild, and the impatience is going to cost this team down the road.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I could not be happier. I just pretend the deals had the 31 and 21 picks switched and it's basically exactly the type of things I hoped would happen. Cloud 9 today.

Now we just need to sign Sekera and my dream roster will be complete.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
I could not be happier. I just pretend the deals had the 31 and 21 picks switched and it's basically exactly the type of things I hoped would happen. Cloud 9 today.

Now we just need to sign Sekera and my dream roster will be complete.

this makes me feel better about the day, I figured that 21 would be going for RoR

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
The deals we can debate for years but how can you not be happy that things happened. Look at the top teams the past few years - all active in the trade market. Not to pick on them, but imagine being a Devils fan. They've been in a similar treading water spot we were but with no tear down and rebuild.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The deals we can debate for years but how can you not be happy that things happened. Look at the top teams the past few years - all active in the trade market. Not to pick on them, but imagine being a Devils fan. They've been in a similar treading water spot we were but with no tear down and rebuild.

What? They went to the cup finals a few years ago. Bad example.

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
I look at the ROR and Lehner trades, and ask whom was the best player acquired in each trade. ROR is a no brainer. Lehner may be debatable on the outcome of the draft pick given up. I really like the looks of this team going forward.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
You know if we had traded 31 for Lehner, we'd have traded 21 instead to COL.

what are you, a Murray apologist? He overpaid badly on both deals. You really can't argue otherwise. If you want to argue that you don't care that he over-paid, that's fine.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
The insulation he provides in 2015-2016 is immensely valuable.

If the worst case were to happen, and he walks at season's end, he'd still give us a year of marked improvement to team numbers at the dot, with puck possession, quality ice time from a top line guy, a **** ton of minutes, PK ability, forechecking and sound defense without taking penalties....

Yeah, he's great. I like him a lot. Always have. But do you seriously think 1 year of all of that is worth Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher & 31? I sure as hell don't.

And ROR walking is NOT the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is that we give him the $8M x 8 that he allegedly wants and he under-performs. I don't want to wind up in a Mike Richards situation.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
what are you, a Murray apologist? He overpaid badly on both deals. You really can't argue otherwise. If you want to argue that you don't care that he over-paid, that's fine.

TM got fair value in the RoR deal, Grigs was threatening to leave town and Zads isn't a sure thing

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma
What ifs, but it never happened and is an example that Murray is willing to give you what you want and not bluff to get the better deal.

Or murray has a plan And knows what he needs and won't quibble over picks when he finds his missing peice. Time will tell but I trust his vision

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
TM got fair value in the RoR deal, Grigs was threatening to leave town and Zads isn't a sure thing

That's even worse than the previous apology.

Grigs was threatening to leave town because Murray inexplicably wouldn't give him a 1-way deal. That made no sense to most of us because he would be exposed to waivers anyway, so why not give him a 1-way deal.

"Zads isn't a sure thing." Nobody is a sure thing. So what. Zadorov is extremely likely to turn into a solid defenseman. Possibly top-pairing. Almost definitely second pairing. And regardless of what actually happens to him in the future, he has immense value right now. Probably worth a top-10 pick in this year's draft on his own.

Throw in Compher & 31 on top of that, and we got hosed.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
That's even worse than the previous apology.

Grigs was threatening to leave town because Murray inexplicably wouldn't give him a 1-way deal. That made no sense to most of us because he would be exposed to waivers anyway, so why not give him a 1-way deal.

"Zads isn't a sure thing." Nobody is a sure thing. So what. Zadorov is extremely likely to turn into a solid defenseman. Possibly top-pairing. Almost definitely second pairing. And regardless of what actually happens to him in the future, he has immense value right now. Probably worth a top-10 pick in this year's draft on his own.

Throw in Compher & 31 on top of that, and we got hosed.

RoR is a sure thing

there was no room on this team for Grigs

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
RoR is a sure thing

there was no room on this team for Grigs

Really? What if ROR gets injured this year and then doesn't re-sign. He's not a sure thing at all.

And how is it that we have no room for Grigs, but we have room to acquire Legwand and McGinn? And why not trade or buyout Hodgson to make room for Grigs?

I've seen these sorts of justifications somewhere before.

bagdad-bob.gif

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I see a lot of Darcy Regier syndrome. Fall in love with picked players, and in this case prospect potential.
Not good.

I am elated, have no fear in ROR and Eichel signings.
Lehner, while a relatively risky gamble, I don't see the risk as high as others since TM had prior knowledge on him.

This team traded potential for actual and improved in the process.

Whether or not fans admit it, Grigs and Zads wrote their own tickets out of town. Murray also mitigated the KHL risk by jettisoning the Russian factor. Shrewd but wise move.
Compher loss stings a little, but instantly forgotten given talent return.

Tim Murray did a better than average job addressing needs while moving the team in the right direction.

Grade to date: B+

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Really? What if ROR gets injured this year and then doesn't re-sign. He's not a sure thing at all.

And how is it that we have no room for Grigs, but we have room to acquire Legwand and McGinn? And why not trade or buyout Hodgson to make room for Grigs?

I've seen these sorts of justifications somewhere before.

what if I had boobs, I would be a girl ..... :shakehead

TM has said that Grigs needed more development, he isn't going to clear waivers .... maybe you have a different opinion on this but you aren't the GM

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
what if I had boobs, I would be a girl ..... :shakehead

TM has said that Grigs needed more development, he isn't going to clear waivers .... maybe you have a different opinion on this but you aren't the GM

I have a very different opinion of Grigs than TM. This is an example of one of his biases. Let's see what Grigs does with Colorado. I bet he does great.

It doesn't matter though. He still has value, and they didn't get value back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad