Satisfied with Today's Deals as a Whole?

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Buffalo can always trade ROR at the deadline for a King's ransom next year if they know he won't re-sign...

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
At 8 million per year though (we'll need to agree to disagree in the okposo thing which is cool ) but he's had 1 x 28 goal season then a 15... if a GM is paying 8 million I want more then 1 good season

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
Title of the thread was "Satisfied With Today's DEALS as a Whole?" Don't think the Eichel (automatic) pick should be included in there.

Where's the "OK" option?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm definitely not unhappy with today, but how much I like it depends on an RoR extension. The Lehner deal is poor value no matter what happens from here on out, but can still end up being a good move if he progresses to a reliable starter (even if he's an average one). I don't have a problem giving up Grigorenko, Compher, or #31, but Zadorov might be hard to replace. Signing Sekera could instantly make up for that, but if RoR isn't signed to an 8 year deal within ten days I'm gonna start to sweat a little.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I give the Lehner deal a 3/10. I give the O'Reilly deal 8.5/10 if he signs long term. I give it 1/10 if he walks in a year. So the day is above average with an O'Reilly contract and garbage without it. No middle ground :)

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Yet if he had traded the #2 pick, I assume you'd want that as part of this? Can't have it both ways, Tim used the #2 pick as he saw fit, so it's in the poll.
If he dealt the #2 pick, it would qualify as a deal. :) Words have meaning.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I give the Lehner deal a 3/10. I give the O'Reilly deal 8.5/10 if he signs long term. I give it 1/10 if he walks in a year. So the day is above average with an O'Reilly contract and garbage without it. No middle ground :)

How can you call the O'Reilly trade a good deal until you know how much he signs for? You think he's worth $8M x 8 years?

The only way ROR signs a contract extension with us if we offer him the absolute max and blow him away. Otherwise, he's going UFA. And if we are going to offer a maximum deal that would blow him away, why didn't we just wait and do that next year when he's UFA instead of trading 4 quality assets for him?

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Im happy right now, I think I will be happier when we sign a top 4 LHD and ROR to an extension. If these two things happen before the season starts, I'd be thrilled. Until those two things happen I'd give Murray a C+ today. Lots of points taken off for the massive overpayment for Lehner. Once we get that LHD (hopefully Sekera) and ROR signed past this year, I'd probably move it up to a B+ - A-

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Hard to be disappointed on paper. I get how easy it can be to get roped into the doom and gloom of the last few seasons but TM has really made some bigger foundational changes the last two off seasons, especially with this one literally just starting. Still a stretch to have playoff expectations but it's also a little hard to count this team out of anything at this point. Who knows what all these changes bring but if you are going to start with a clean slate, this doesn't look like a bad place to start.

Also, I'll give my applause to Edmonton where it's due. These growing pains have been awful. And, frankly, Edmonton has done it a lot longer. What a remarkably resilient people they have up in there.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
How can you call the O'Reilly trade a good deal until you know how much he signs for? You think he's worth $8M x 8 years?

The only way ROR signs a contract extension with us if we offer him the absolute max and blow him away. Otherwise, he's going UFA. And if we are going to offer a maximum deal that would blow him away, why didn't we just wait and do that next year when he's UFA instead of trading 4 quality assets for him?

The insulation he provides in 2015-2016 is immensely valuable.

If the worst case were to happen, and he walks at season's end, he'd still give us a year of marked improvement to team numbers at the dot, with puck possession, quality ice time from a top line guy, a **** ton of minutes, PK ability, forechecking and sound defense without taking penalties....

More over, and most importantly, we don't have to force feed Eichel or Reinhart into a role. They can settle into one.

We don't have to rush Zemgus back after injury onto the top PK and 2nd PP unit, while simultaneously relying on him for offense and a shutting down of opponents' top threats.

If Kane doesn't end up finding a PK role, we aren't screwed. If Gionta or Moulson, or both, were to go down, we have a leadership presence who has proven himself capable in the league. This guy is a three zone hockey player, the likes of which we haven't seen in Buffalo in... possibly ever.

Best of all? I look at our pipeline, and I see the same handful of guys atop the depth charts at their respective positions as I did prior to today. That makes me very happy.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am still riding the high from last night (and no it wasn't that bowl I smoked either haha (kidding)). Seriously, this day could go down as one of the best in Sabres history! I have a serious man crush on Tim Murray after yesterday. I questioned that Lehner trade at first, but I trust that TM knows him much better than any of us do. If TM and co. we're really thinking about drafting Samsonov at 21, then that trade makes perfect sense. We got a goalie with just as high a ceiling, maybe higher. Plus he is 5 years further along in his development and will hopefully be ready to compete for the #1 spot next year. We wouldn't have seen Samsonov for years and years. Maybe Arturs Irbe will be more willing to stick around now that he has a top goaltender prospect to work with...? (If Bylsma wants him, that is).

tjd92295

Jan 17, 2014
North Tonawanda, NY
I actually really like the ROR deal. Sabres could easily end up as the big winners here. Grigo was going to walk to Russia anyway. Zadorov might have followed him if he didn't keep progressing. If the Avs insisted on a young D in the deal, I definitely would've traded Zadorov before Risto. Risto is definitely more NHL-ready. Never seen Compher play, but the fact that the Sabres told him to stay in school must mean something. And we won't know how 31 pans out for years. So especially if ROR re-signs, I like this deal a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad