Saros Or Rinne in Game 6...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Does anyone else just feel bad that as soon as Pekka finally get's a team around him is when his decline hits? If only Nashville coulda hit this swing two years before hand...

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Does anyone else just feel bad that as soon as Pekka finally get's a team around him is when his decline hits? If only Nashville coulda hit this swing two years before hand...

Rinne was terrible for a number of years before the team finally consolidated around him. He was obviously fantastic this regular season and had a decent playoffs last year but he was statistically one of the worst regular starters the ~5 years before that.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Rinne was terrible for a number of years before the team finally consolidated around him. He was obviously fantastic this regular season and had a decent playoffs last year but he was statistically one of the worst regular starters the ~5 years before that.

He's been fantastic for the better part of his career. In 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 he was injured and coming off major hip surgery. It should come as no surprise that these are the only seasons the Predators have missed the playoffs in nearly a decade.

2018 is a long time removed from 2011 but I still remember him almost single-handedly carrying a mediocre Predators team past the Canucks in the second round.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He's been fantastic for the better part of his career. In 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 he was injured and coming off major hip surgery. It should come as no surprise that these are the only seasons the Predators have missed the playoffs in nearly a decade.

2018 is a long time removed from 2011 but I still remember him almost single-handedly carrying a mediocre Predators team past the Canucks in the second round.

He wasn't good after those injuries either. 2015-16 he was one of the worst goalies in the league, too. Predators were one of the best teams year after year at limiting shots in front of the net and in the slot and his save numbers were still not all that good.

This was the first season since 2011 when he was a clear positive on the Preds results.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Rinne will start for sure but I would play Saros. Rinne has already been pulled multiple times in these playoffs.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
^Jets VGK will be crazy
There might not be whistles unless there's a goal scored, as a kid I remember Curt Keilback saying on a radio game that these two teams (EDM) will soon play a whole period without a whistle.

This could happen vs Vegas..... *Jets players be ready for the fastest Hockey ever if this is still to happen*

skorbi

Feb 20, 2017
This was the first season since 2011 when he was a clear positive on the Preds results.
That 14-15 year really sucked for him too. Even lost the Vezina to Price. (2nd in voting though.)

Rinne might be the most overrated goalie in the league, that big contract of his was criminal.
Overrated by whom, the GMs? He is now four time Vezina finalist.
Here is a list of all goalies that have four or more top-3 finishes in Vezina voting.
Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Barrasso, Lundqvist, Fuhr, Rinne.

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How rarely does a team change goalies when they are down 3-2 in a best of 7 series?

The only recent examples I can recall was Sharks/Flames 1995 (Irbe/Flaherty) and 1989 Flyers/Penguins (Hextall/Wregget)

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I really don't think Rinne has been terrible.. Sure, he hasn't been great in these playoffs in that he's not being a difference maker for the Preds and stealing them games, but like 90% of all goals he lets in are good goals, plays in front of the net, shots from prime areas, point shots with screens, bad bounces..

When teams get into these long win 1 lose 1 stretches that the Preds have been in since early in the Avs series, it's usually tough for goalies to gain confidence and play with consistency. That said, next game is bounce back game that they've won 6 straight times dating back to the regular season and Rinne been in the net 5 of those games, so you go with Rinne.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I heard Laviolette has complete confidence in Sarros, he would be a gutsy call. But I think it will be Rinne.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That 14-15 year really sucked for him too. Even lost the Vezina to Price. (2nd in voting though.)

Vezina voting is really flawed. He faced one of the easiest shot loads in the league that year, and still finished only 11th in save percentage among full-time goalies. In reality, he was not even close to the best goalie in the league. He was solidly average, and it wasn't enough to balance out the dreadful years he had in the two years before and after. Good example of how the public perception of him never caught up to the reality.

NSH

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Saros, Timonen, Geaudreu, zolner-whatever. Put in all the Admirals we know are the next generation. This series is over. Might as well get the kids some big game experience.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Rinne will start, but outside of that he has been brutal in the playoffs. In fact, he is a weak playoff performer. Looking at his career he has only had two real solid playoff performances and the rest are underwhelming.

He will likely win the Vezina this season. He needs to be better.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
How rarely does a team change goalies when they are down 3-2 in a best of 7 series?

The only recent examples I can recall was Sharks/Flames 1995 (Irbe/Flaherty) and 1989 Flyers/Penguins (Hextall/Wregget)

23 to 29 years ago? I bet 1/3 of HF was born recently then. LOL

And benching Rinne would be and absolute shocker, despite the bad playoff run.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Decline? The guy just won a Vezina and was amazing last playoffs. He's just having a bad stretch right now.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Overrated by whom, the GMs? He is now four time Vezina finalist.
Here is a list of all goalies that have four or more top-3 finishes in Vezina voting.
Hasek, Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Barrasso, Lundqvist, Fuhr, Rinne.
He is also the only one on that list to have never won it!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I honestly don't think Rinne can handle pressure all that well. Time and time again we've seen him fold. For such a highly rated goalie he has been grossly inconsistent in the playoffs. I'd have him on a short leash and if an early one got by him I'd make a switch. I wouldn't mess around because he's just too inconsistent in the playoffs. No matter how hard the Preds come out, if Rinne doesn't have it between the ears than nothing else will matter.

Reactions: Poulin 0n My St1ck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad